The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I always use the Google English to X translator, and I told it

"I'll lob a few things in the microwave"

I still prefer popty ping...

'N annhymerus' lob ychydig o bethau yn y popty ping  :jester:

Sounds more satisfying...

Problem is Microdon is a hoverfly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Which in Spanish becomes "Ese dragón me ha robado la faja", as we don't seem to have cummerbunds in Spain!

Mike.

Good grief, man, how do you cope in the officers' mess!  Welsh for Cummerbund would be presumably Cwmmerbwnd; 'mae ddraig wedi Cwmmerbwnd eu dwyn', or something.

The dragon in question consisted of 3 people and made off with my cummberbund to use as flames from it's mouth, powered by an electric fan, so I had to find another cummerbund.  Found one, but it wasn't the same...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Hroth said:

I always use the Google English to X translator, and I told it

"I'll lob a few things in the microwave"

I still prefer popty ping...

'N annhymerus' lob ychydig o bethau yn y popty ping  :jester:

Sounds more satisfying...

Well I don't believe that translation. I have had a few problems with Google Translate, particularly with translating German to English, and in my not so humble opinion it is an awful program.

I took your sentence, and GT gave me "Byddaf yn lobio ychydig o bethau yn y microdon". The first thing I notice about this is the word microdon, which means microwave. Notice that it means the noun-used-as-an-adjective microwave, not the noun phrase "microwave oven", which is what the lazy English mean when they use the word microwave, unless they are talking to their fellow scientists in the physics laboratory of your local university. To get the meaning of "microwave oven" you have to add the word "oven" to your sentence, as Google translate, being a computer program, is an ignorant bastard and doesn't know that's what you really mean. So entering your sentence as "I'll lob a few things in the microwave oven" I got "Byddaf yn lobio ychydig o bethau yn y popty microdon", which is better.

The next thing I notice is the difference between "'N annhymerus' lob" and "Byddaf yn lobio". There are two things to say about this: firstly, 'n annhymerus' does not mean "I'll", but "ill" as in "not well", and secondly "lob" is a noun meaning "a lob" as in tennis or cricket; it is not a verb meaning "to lob". To obtain the verb you have to add some sort of Welsh ending (there are several) to make the verb out of the noun, and in this case the verb "to lob" is "lobio".

So, goodness knows what your Google English to X translator is or does, but I think it is a load of crap and it doesn't translate what you put into it into Welsh.

Have a nice day. Gobeithio y cewch chi ddiwrnod braf.

Now I wait for the people who really speak Welsh to come along and tear what I wrote to pieces.

Edited by Budgie
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Bore da, Budgie!

There are translators and translators, Google English to Welsh does provide "Microdon" as the translation for "microwave" and it seems to have listened to you as this morning it provided

Byddaf yn lobio ychydig o bethau yn y microdon

for my original phrase

and

Byddaf yn lobio ychydig o bethau yn y popty microdon

if you tack on "oven".  Though who says "microwave oven" in everyday English?

as for "popty ping", it was included as a joke from a cod-Welsh post further up the thread!

To be even more colloquial, "I'll nuke it in the microwave" evidently translates as "Byddaf yn ei nuke yn y microdon"!

Cael diwrnod da!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Bore da, Budgie!

There are translators and translators, Google English to Welsh does provide "Microdon" as the translation for "microwave" and it seems to have listened to you as this morning it provided

Byddaf yn lobio ychydig o bethau yn y microdon

for my original phrase

and

Byddaf yn lobio ychydig o bethau yn y popty microdon

if you tack on "oven".  Though who says "microwave oven" in everyday English?

as for "popty ping", it was included as a joke from a cod-Welsh post further up the thread!

To be even more colloquial, "I'll nuke it in the microwave" evidently translates as "Byddaf yn ei nuke yn y microdon"!

Cael diwrnod da!

Popty Ping is a proper phrase though. Micro isn't even Welsh as it would be Meicro and I believe that has more of a scientific use.

Popty means oven. Ping is the noise it makes. It's not a joke it's come into common usage.

Problem with translations and even being taught language by professionals is they don't use the words the normal people use.

I was told by an "expert" how to order beer in Germany with a phrase that is over twenty words long. I don't need to tell the barman how it's a lovely day and may I have one of his finest beverages and spend half an hour saying "thank you".

You just need one word. Beer! Spelling it their way is optional....

Jason

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Pop it in the Popty Ping.

Pop what in the Popty Ping?

Pop the Pop Corn in the popty Ping,

and when the Pop Corn goes Pingerty Pop,

the Popty Ping will beep to tell you that its hot!

Kev.

(Edited the last line, was "...let you know its done!".)

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Pop it in the Popty Ping!

Pop what in the Popty Ping?

Pop the Pop Corn in the popty Ping,

and when the Pop Corn goes Pingerty Pop,

the Popty Ping will beep to let you know its done!

Kev.

Don't do it yourself. Get Pop to do it.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Actually if you Google "Funeral Parlour Thank you NHS" there are several photographs of different establishments.

Jim

IMHO it's not properly thought out as although the sentiment is probably genuine, it can be read the wrong way.

• Agree 4