The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

50 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I just glad there isn't a photo taken from.the back of the group of gentlemen

You know that feeling...  when the stomach cramps up, the 6 pack goes to max tension {I wish!!} and you know that you have to aim in the least damaging area.....  !!!

J

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've a feeling they are the ones who swim in the Serpentine on Christmas Day.

I don't think they're a bunch of random blokes. They're in too good shape for that.

Jason

I dread to think what those in not so good shape look like!:jester:

P.S. I don't want any photos..............

My eyes, my precious eyes:(

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes.

Did it as a dare at a music festival for a couple of pints. Only in the campsite area. Didn't wear it in the part where bands were on and it was for a very short time of about half an hour.

Thankfully I doubt there is any visual evidence and it was a long time ago. Probably when that awful film was out. Loads of other people were wearing them though and ISTR the weather was very hot and I was probably more worried about sunburn.

Several years ago, I had a stag party on my train, from Crewe to Derby, the gent in question wore his mankini all the way. Saturday morning, single car 153 and quite busy. I didn't ask where he was keeping his ticket, but as the rest of the party had tickets I decided not to ask!

To be fair they were well behaved, and did say if anyone complained he was quite happy to put his jeans on, everyone seemed to take it in good humour and several of the not so young ladies on board asked him to do a parade walk down the train! 

Female BTP officer at Derby did ask him to cover up on the station when they changed trains.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great central said:

Several years ago, I had a stag party on my train, from Crewe to Derby, the gent in question wore his mankini all the way. Saturday morning, single car 153 and quite busy. I didn't ask where he was keeping his ticket, but as the rest of the party had tickets I decided not to ask!

To be fair they were well behaved, and did say if anyone complained he was quite happy to put his jeans on, everyone seemed to take it in good humour and several of the not so young ladies on board asked him to do a parade walk down the train! 

Female BTP officer at Derby did ask him to cover up on the station when they changed trains.

I had to read that twice to understand that it wasn't your stag party!

• Agree 2

Anyone remember this one? It really was like Fawlty Towers. People used to go there hoping to be abused by the owner. :laugh:

Hawes shop owner branded 'rude and offensive' in complaint to parish council

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-38509801

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-40641581

Jason

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Anyone remember this one? It really was like Fawlty Towers. People used to go there hoping to be abused by the owner. :laugh:

Jason

Unless he is violating some ordinance, I do not see where the council has any say in the matter.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

2 - Err, not wearing the proper regalia (of a regularly organised society)?

They're wearing what they're wearing so as to hide their regalia from public view.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-38509801

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-40641581

Jason

Well being Hawes, it is a local shop for local people - "Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here!"

Schmidt’s restaurant that used to be in Charlotte Street in London was well known for its rude serving staff (partly genuine, partly a gimmick, I thought). Great genuine German food, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

How many of them run model railway shops?

We had one back in the 80s in Cardiff, in fact in Broadway just around the corner from me.  Can't remember his name but I'm sure other Cardiff modellers will.  It wasn't a bad shop in some ways; you could get the sort of bits and pieces that the big shops like Beatties didn't bother with and he had a good selection of s/h, including some nice kit built stuff at tolerable prices.  But he'd had a personality bypass at some time and seemed to be largely of the opinion that the purpose of customers was to make him as wealthy as he clearly considered he had a right to be, which coupled with a fuse shorter than a, what, I don't know, something very short anyway, would frequently lead to fireworks!

It does seem to me that if you have a congenital dislike of humanity (and he may for all I know have had a good reason to be like this) and you want to make a lot of money, then opening a model railway shop in an inner city suburb is probably not your best bet.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I know of a few shopkeepers like that.

As a shopkeeper myself, I view Bernard Black as a role model rather than a fictional comedy character. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 6