The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

12 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I thought that the red box on the right front wheel was the mechanism.

Yes, that's the magnetic locking mechanism, for the wheels, 

when the trolley is taken past a certain point, to stop them going off site.

The white thing on the handle, is the locking mechanism for the token,

or coin, to allow use of the trolley, which returns the token when you

'lock' it back to the next trolley, using the 'thing' hanging on the chain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I wonder why there is what appears to be a half-used roll of toilet paper on the shopping cart! :biggrin_mini:

Its a roll of paper towel for customers to wipe down trolley handles. Its standing on a box behind the trolley.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its a roll of paper towel for customers to wipe down trolley handles. Its standing on a box behind the trolley.

Don't think so!

If so, explain the 'key', hanging on the chain underneath!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Don't think so!

If so, explain the 'key', hanging on the chain underneath!

Child restraint for a baby seated in the cart? The other half might be out of the photo. The photo is too pixelated to really tell.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. 

In the UK they have a "key" that slots into them when they are stored. You need a pound coin to release them to use. Otherwise people nick them. The pound is refunded when you re-stack them,

Different trolley, this is an ASDA one. but you can see the slot and chain.

spacer.png

Jason

I have seen a complete circle of these trolleys chained  togather by the 'keys' in one of our local car parks resulting in not being able to put the coin in to release any of them. Not sure how they can be separated  but there must be some way for the staff to  do so

• Funny 4

8 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I have seen a complete circle of these trolleys chained  togather by the 'keys' in one of our local car parks resulting in not being able to put the coin in to release any of them. Not sure how they can be separated  but there must be some way for the staff to  do so

Hacksaw?

Bolt cutters?

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Don't understand that, all the coin mechanisms on them have the slot for the

coin to release the key, they are separate  parts of the same thing, depending

on how tight the 'trolley circle' is, might make it difficult to move them apart,

but would make no difference to unlocking them.

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Gentlemen please.

Some of the posts on here are giving our SWMBOs all the evidence that they need to prove men don't know their way round a supermarket! :)

Agreed. :D

They might, however, make OO-gauge models of the trolleys - and then argue about the versions and the colour schemes. :P

I think you'll find Tesco didn't use the Mk3 Wobbly Wheels Trolley until 2015. You've got the wrong shade of blue.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. 

In the UK they have a "key" that slots into them when they are stored. You need a pound coin to release them to use. Otherwise people nick them. The pound is refunded when you re-stack them,

Different trolley, this is an ASDA one. but you can see the slot and chain.

spacer.png

Jason

Some of the supermarkets in Australia,  used to have the coin/token system,  but have since removed them. More trouble than it's worth?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Some of the supermarkets in Australia,  used to have the coin/token system,  but have since removed them. More trouble than it's worth?

I hadn't come across it in WA until Aldi opened up, although I'd seen it in the UK before coming out here. Presumably it saves Aldi most of the cost of trolley collection. As an unintended consequence, though, it seems to encourage able-bodied tight wads to nick the wheelchair trollies (which are unsecured), which they then abandon in the farthest and least accessible corners of the car park. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, PatB said:

I hadn't come across it in WA until Aldi opened up, although I'd seen it in the UK before coming out here. Presumably it saves Aldi most of the cost of trolley collection. As an unintended consequence, though, it seems to encourage able-bodied tight wads to nick the wheelchair trollies (which are unsecured), which they then abandon in the farthest and least accessible corners of the car park. 

I think for Aldi it's a world standard for configuring their supermarkets, I've yet to see one without the coin attachment.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I think for Aldi it's a world standard for configuring their supermarkets, I've yet to see one without the coin attachment.

Same in the UK

Many of the other supermarkets have abondoned the idea.

Asda in Bromsgrove used to have them but the mechanism was so sloppy that once you had put in your coin to release the chain you could take the coin out aagain....:scratchhead:

They've now taken the chains off.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Some of the posts on here are giving our SWMBOs all the evidence that they need to prove men don't know their way round a supermarket! :)

As men, we all know (or should) that there is scientific evidence that the right way to go around a supermarket is the wrong way to go round a supermarket, and you will save an average 20% on your shopping bill if you do this.  This is because the shelves and special offer towers are arranged and lit to divert your attention, and products are arranged on the shelves to dispose of older stock and tempt you into buying them.   Start at the checkout and work your way back to the entrance, and notice how much you are subtly persuaded by the layout and lighting to not do this.

Many supermarkets prevent you from doing this at all by having shelves that prevent you accessing the rest of the shop from the first aisle until you've got to the end of it.

And never go food shopping when you are hungry!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

...snip... And never go food shopping when you are hungry!

I am always hungry (eating is my favorite thing; well, possibly equaled by reading a good book) so I guess that I should never go shopping? :biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a grammatical error.
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Something like:

Sunday Circles.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 7