The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, melmerby said:

They seem obsessed with a race to the bottom of bakery products.

21 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Judging by comments on here about Greggs and Wetherspoons, it seem that businesses are operating to a plan where they start by giving customers what they want and then, once sales have grown, they attempt to drive down costs / raise profits and hope customers doesn't desert them. It's quite sad but entirely expected as we all race to cram in ever more into a never expanding day.

They also seem intent on closing down all traditional (read tasty) bakeries anywhere near them, as in Kimberley, Nottingham.

Mike.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

They also seem intent on closing down all traditional (read tasty) bakeries anywhere near them, as in Kimberley, Nottingham.

Mike.

Tesco have announced today that they have joined the race to the bottom with the closure of in store bakeries and changing them to just finishing premade products!

• Informative/Useful 3

13 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Tesco have announced today that they have joined the race to the bottom with the closure of in store bakeries and changing them to just finishing premade products!

Seems a bit half baked to me

• Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Stacey's at Hilltop, as well as their main branch in Ilkeston and others, is still going strong, their truffles are excellent:sungum:

Sorry but I can't think of a traditional bakery in Kimberley over the last 20 odd years at least?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

Greggs took over Birketts (based in Penrith)  some years ago with an assurance they would retain the traditional favourites.

Later the shop had a corporate make over into normal Greggs style but retained the Birketts branding (for a while), meanwhile they steadily removed the local produce, Dunster Spiced Buns, Rum Nicky, Cumberland ginger biscuits etc, closed the bakery in Penrith and made it into a full blown soulless Greggs, complete with name.

They did the exactly same thing with Braggs of Birmingham, got rid of all the things people used to shop at Braggs for and replaced it with their bland nothings.

AFAIAC Greggs is the destroyer of proper bakeries.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

One of the joys of going to the Lakes on Holidays as a kid was going into Birketts and getting one of their Battenburgs for the days walking and a packet of Seabrookes crisps. Heaven. I'm not even sure if the Greggs in Ambleside is even in the same shop as Birketts was....

Theres no joy in getting anything from Greggs...

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Coles, one of the two biggest supermarket chains here in Oz, got called out over their 'fresh bread', baked in store. Turns out that it was premade in Ireland, sent over and baked.

People wonder why we have Climate Change, given totally irresponsible actions like that.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, great central said:

Stacey's at Hilltop, as well as their main branch in Ilkeston and others, is still going strong, their truffles are excellent:sungum:

Sorry but I can't think of a traditional bakery in Kimberley over the last 20 odd years at least?

The name escapes me at the mo, a couple of doors up from Greggs in the precinct, they have/had other branches about Nottingham, confusingly with different names, and were supplied from their bakery in Hucknall.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Greggs took over Birketts (based in Penrith)  some years ago with an assurance they would retain the traditional favourites.

Later the shop had a corporate make over into normal Greggs style but retained the Birketts branding (for a while), meanwhile they steadily removed the local produce, Dunster Spiced Buns, Rum Nicky, Cumberland ginger biscuits etc, closed the bakery in Penrith and made it into a full blown soulless Greggs, complete with name.

They did the exactly same thing with Braggs of Birmingham, got rid of all the things people used to shop at Braggs for and replaced it with their bland nothings.

AFAIAC Greggs is the destroyer of proper bakeries.

Hi Kieth,

Bryson's are still going in Keswick and they supply Appleby bakery. Yesterday I had a "traditional" pasty (ie not actually from Cornwall) a vanilla slice and also what I went in there for, a loaf of bread.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Kieth,

Bryson's are still going in Keswick and they supply Appleby bakery. Yesterday I had a "traditional" pasty (ie not actually from Cornwall) a vanilla slice and also what I went in there for, a loaf of bread.

Gibbo..

Date & treacle scones, lovely. Swmbo likes their Plum Bread

Bell's of Lazonby are still going strong.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

The name escapes me at the mo, a couple of doors up from Greggs in the precinct, they have/had other branches about Nottingham, confusingly with different names, and were supplied from their bakery in Hucknall.

Mike.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, possibly a branch of Luke Evans who are based in Riddings? Seem to remember they were shutting the shop due to increased rates and rent, it was taken over by one of the staff, still supplied by Luke Evans.

It closed several years ago around the time Gregg's moved in, was a Subway for a fairly short time, now empty.

There was Francis the bakers in Hucknall, bakery and shop on Annesley Road, branch on Watnall Road used to do some massive cream cakes!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, great central said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, possibly a branch of Luke Evans who are based in Riddings? Seem to remember they were shutting the shop due to increased rates and rent, it was taken over by one of the staff, still supplied by Luke Evans.

It closed several years ago around the time Gregg's moved in, was a Subway for a fairly short time, now empty.

There was Francis the bakers in Hucknall, bakery and shop on Annesley Road, branch on Watnall Road used to do some massive cream cakes!

That's the one, Luke Evans.

When they changed hands, as you say, it went to a member of staff and his brother, and became a more family business who were also butchers, and went from a purely bakery concern to  having a fridge display full of home produced butchery products supplied from the fathers shop in Hucknall.

Of the two brothers, one supported Derby and the other Forest and with me being a Blade, a simple visit became an extended discussion on football.

Regrettably Greggs was the final nail in the coffin.

Mike.

Apologies to all for the rambling remembrances!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2020 at 11:45, luckymucklebackit said:

Hope they remmbered to hit the spacecraft on the 23rd shot to get the required 300 points (then every 15 thereafter)

Every 13th shot on the one I played on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2020 at 23:47, uax6 said:

One of the joys of going to the Lakes on Holidays as a kid was going into Birketts and getting one of their Battenburgs for the days walking and a packet of Seabrookes crisps. Heaven. I'm not even sure if the Greggs in Ambleside is even in the same shop as Birketts was....

Theres no joy in getting anything from Greggs...

Andy G

Rumour has it that Charlie Brookes wanted the signwriter to write C. Brookes

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, SHMD said:

Bog of(f)!

That should be two pizzas for 8 rolls!

Kev. 

;0

Oh the innocence.....   as of now, one Roll will cost you 50 Pizzas.....   Sh11ty I know, but when things are in {caught} short supply, possession can be very profitable.....  

BTW, I have a small stock of ten dozen Rolls, any Pizza business wishing to make a financial offer, please ring  01***  ******

Julian

• Funny 6