The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

6 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I wonder if it is just a coincidence that this site in the New Forest is just down the road from "the Fighting Cocks" pub 

2365872600000578-2842938-image-50_1416665233109.jpg

Don't know whether it still does, but it used to have a nudist section, two.....

Julian

PS.  Yes I can spell.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

Referring to the camp site sign above: I was at a party on Wednesday evening and an ex-pat and I got talking (as you do). He told me that one of his old English teachers was called Mr Balls - but his wife was called Ophelia - oh yes, really!

Cheers,

Philip

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

On 10/01/2020 at 21:31, PhilJ W said:

It’s meant to be a smaller version of ‘sheets’ but it’s better like this.(and it’s how I always pronounce it :laugh_mini2:)

whoever made this tag is a legend.

Edited by PannierTanker14
  • Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 21:44, Philou said:

Referring to the camp site sign above: I was at a party on Wednesday evening and an ex-pat and I got talking (as you do). He told me that one of his old English teachers was called Mr Balls - but his wife was called Ophelia - oh yes, really!

Cheers,

Philip

And I used to work with a woman who really was called Joy Balls...

steve

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PannierTanker14 said:

It’s meant to be a smaller version of ‘sheets’ but it’s better like this.(and it’s how I always pronounce it :laugh_mini2:)

whoever made this tag is a legend.

A friend of mine from Romania gets ribbed whenever she mentions washing the sheets or asks for a sheet of paper but she also found it extremely funny when her other half wanted a model of a Resita narrow gauge steam loco because the pronunciation is Reshita! ;) 
Word play works both ways across languages :) 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

And I used to work with a woman who really was called Joy Balls...

steve

I had a customer years ago who's maiden name was 'Cherry Orchard' she said her parents had a sense of humour and she prayed for the day she'd get married. Unfortunately she married 'Richard Stone'  

• Like 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Father had a pair of twin boys in his class, way back.  When he came to write up the new register for the class, when he got to them, the first said he was Baron Norman Plum and the second replied that he was Norman Barron Plum.

Regards

Julian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

I've worked with a Wayne Kerr and a Dick Burns over the years :D

My mum beat that by miles when she worked in insurance years ago though, she genuinely had a lovely old lady on the books by the name of Frances Tickler, who preferred the shortened version of her first name - Fanny :lol:

Paul

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Smeeton said:

I have to sat that I struggled to keep a straight face when introduced to Annie Trembler, at one time Catering Manager for the Birmingham Post

Regards

Ian

After she gets married to John Smith:

Annie Smith nee Trembler.........

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Wayne Kerr is an electrical equipment company.

http://www.waynekerrtest.com/

Strangely years ago nobody thought it was a funny name, maybe people these days are more easily amused?

I was going to ask what  was so funny about that name; but, as you say over there, the penny dropped! :biggrin_mini: :biggrin_mini: ;) :biggrin_mini:

• Like 1