The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2019 at 11:38, PhilJ W said:

So what do you do if it indicates you are rapidly losing pressure in a tyre while doing 70mph on a motorway?

Pull over and stop as I did on the autobahn when travelling 120 mph!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The question do Aussies drink their beer up or drink it down?

21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Depends on whether they are standing up or laying down.

17 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Mostly down then...

J

I wasn't aware Australians drank beer, just XXXX.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It depends on your definition of beer.:jester:

They drink vast quantities of something called "beer".  They even have drive-through bottle shops where the good folk can stack both the car and the trailer.  And believe me the queues of cars plus trailers are testament to a nation with a serious drinking capacity.  Problem if you like.  

Very few would give a XXXX for XXXX.  They don't drink Fosters either.  Preference varies by region but VB (Victoria Bitter), Tooheys. Coopers and Carlton are popular brands.  Where the averagw beer-drinking Briton might purchase a four- or six-pack the typical Aussie purchase is a "Slab" or "carton" which is 24.  You will see folk carrying a slab on each shoulder or loading the trailer with perhaps 20 - 30 slabs at a time.  

Hot weather creates thirst.  Alcohol dehydrates the body.  There is a serious problem of alcohol-fuelled violence in many places especially at night in the major cities.  

My preference was always one of the regional small breweries - Grand Ridge Brewery based in the Victorian town of Mirboo North produces some more refined beers which are also closer in style and taste to English ales.  

This isn't as whacky a sign as might be thought.  Large areas of (mostly Indigenous) land are dry zones.  There is a suggestion that the indigenous community have zero alcohol tolerance.  They certainly suffer far more than others for drinking "Whitefella's grog"  

Screenshot 2019-12-20 at 12.34.28.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

There are no standard sizes in Australia as in there is no legal requirement to serve a specific size of drink.  Beer is served in "pots", "glasses" or "schooners" (the name varies by area but all are basically the same size) which are about half a pint.  Pint glasses are available in many places on request but are not the standard measure and there are no stamps or lines to prove capacity as the UK requires.  It is very common to buy tap (draught) beer by the jug and have a number of glasses.  A jug typically fills four pots.   

Perhaps oddly the spirit measure (if not an optic) must be transparent whereas the UK ones are often metal.  Wine is served by the glass which is also an undefined measure but typically 125 or 175ml.  Or thereabouts.  

Bottles (often known as stubbies) are typically 375ml and the larger ones ("longnecks") 750ml.  "Tinnies" are the same as stubbies but the beer is canned not bottled.  In all cases the terms are also used for other things.  "Stubbies" are also a style of men's shorts, a "tinny" is a small metal boat usually flat-bottomed and used for fishing in shallow water, and a "longneck" is someone who stares an accident or other incident, or just watches other's lives, or one who cheats in an exam by looking across at their neighbour.  So it is possible to have a longneck watching someone both wearing and drinking stubbies while in his tinny though he might be drinking tinnies or a longneck.  Got that? ;)

Beer is usually served ice cold and the warm climate means that most are what the British call "lager" even if named "bitter".  They are invariably foamy and fizzy which I personally intensely dislike.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

There are no standard sizes in Australia as in there is no legal requirement to serve a specific size of drink.  Beer is served in "pots", "glasses" or "schooners" (the name varies by area ...........................  It is very common to buy tap (draught) beer by the jug and have a number of glasses.  A jug typically fills four pots.   

Beer is usually served ice cold a  .....................................

This took me back to the late 70's when I was shipping containers from Corio Quay near Gelong.  We used to nip ashore to a bar not far from the quay for a 'refesh' usually to be met by the sight of 20 'girls' from the adjacent meat packing plant, still in their bloody aprons and swilling the stuff back straight from the jug - no pots glasses to be seen. We didn't need cautioning to keep our distance.

At a different bar, one of our team got the idea that beer had to be served below 4degC? or thereabouts so next day he took a small stem thermometer with him in his shirt breast pocket and made a point of officiously checking the jug of beer with it. We got thrown out...

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Managed to try 61 different beers in my 22 days in NSW last year and not once did I try the 'so-called' well known brands. In NSW a schooner is 425ml, 15fl.oz/¾ pint, a nice size for a beer, though in some states a schooner is  ½ pint, in NSW a ½ pint is a midi. For those that deride Australian beers, you really need to get out there. There are many superb beers available, even from the larger breweries. And, yes, the beers can be served ferociously cold, as can be seen in the photo. And certainly in Sydney, there are some great pubs. Three I would recommend are The Fortune of War and the Australian Hotel(over 200 beers in here, draught and bottled), both in the Rocks area, a short walk from the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay and the Keg & Brew, Surrey Hills, a short walk from Central station.   

20181002_130321_resized.jpg.17cccabde5afc8dc2f2112933323949f.jpg

This is in the Fortune of War.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, burgundy said:

A selection of signs from a recent visit to New Zealand.

404748147_signs3.JPG.ccb0af19b9e2ccdd7ee162a689cb1883.JPG

Best wishes 

Eric

968871448_HotRocks.JPG.51189fd02a21070868f3467c236342d4.JPG

Just a question:

Is 'Hot Rocks' the name of the area,

or

What happens if a male sits on the surfaces?

Edited by Damo666
Added relevent image
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Seen on the back of a van yesterday...

Wiltshire Council

Where everybody   natters

I wonder how many have been similarly "doctored"?

Julian

Lancashire has the same slogan - often defaced.

Seems even more appropriate to Lancashire. Images of Les Dawson come to mind.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Seen on a bridge over the Cotswold line near Stonesfield today:

Bridge weight P1180941s.JPG

What is the point of telling point of telling passers by what the maximum weight of the bridge is?  Actually, as the bridge deck is 19m long, 5m wide and about 0.5m thick, its  weight is likely to be 60t or more!

Edited by eastglosmog
Improve readability
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Seen on a bridge over the Cotswold line near Stonesfield today:

Bridge weight P1180941s.JPG

What is the point of telling point of telling passers by what the maximum weight of the bridge is?  Actually, as the bridge deck is 19m long, 5m wide and about 0.5m thick, its  weight is likely to be 60t or more!

That’s the maximum laden weight of vehicles permitted to cross the bridge - not the weight of the bridge itself. 

The photo shows a masonry parapet at least so assuming your dimensions, the actual mass of the bridge deck and parapet (ignoring any piers, abutments, (possible) arches and their foundations) is more likely to be upwards of 160 tonnes. 

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

That’s the maximum laden weight of vehicles permitted to cross the bridge - not the weight of the bridge itself. 

The photo shows a masonry parapet at least so assuming your dimensions, the actual mass of the bridge deck and parapet (ignoring any piers, abutments, (possible) arches and their foundations) is more likely to be upwards of 160 tonnes. 

Darius

I know that is what they mean, but it is not what the words on the sign says! 

As a matter of interest, the bridge abutments are moving (there are tell tales across cracks above each abutment) and I would not want to put a 40t load on the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

I know that is what they mean, but it is not what the words on the sign says! 

As a matter of interest, the bridge abutments are moving (there are tell tales across cracks above each abutment) and I would not want to put a 40t load on the bridge.

Agreed re the 40 tonne load.  Doesn’t sound too clever.  

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

And today's MBO* award goes to ...   ...  (long pause while opening envelope)  ...   ... Darius43!!!

(sfx, rapturous applause)

* MBO = Master of the Bleeding Obvious

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Seen on the back of a van yesterday...

Wiltshire Council

Where everybody   natters

I wonder how many have been similarly "doctored"?

Julian

Reminds me of the sign over the downstairs longitudinal seats on London buses being altered from '3 SEATS' to '3  FATS'.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1