The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

'Smart' has the same use as the word 'Democratic' in the old name for East Germany, The German Democratic Republic.

Democratic in that you did have a vote.

But you only had one candidate that you could give your vote to.

The irony is that, given the current political situation in the UK, being a citizen of the former GDR now has several advantages.

Former GDR citizens who kept their papers up to date were indeed "smart".

See thread on German Railways re 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall.

Bernard

• Like 2

On 13/12/2019 at 20:33, eastglosmog said:

I suppose technically it is smarter than your average motorway, still seems rather dumb to me!

If you have to call yourself "smart" that can only match school "leadership teams", in that, if you need to name your system "smart" or "leadership" you clearly have not demonstrated either by words or actions.

Regards

Julian

• Agree 7

On 14/12/2019 at 12:23, Mark Saunders said:

I can't understand the principal of putting the word "Smart" as a prefix when it still relies on humans to use them! 

My view is that when an embarrassed designer has realised all the shortcomings of his creation, too late in the day to rectify them, 'Smart', 'Fast', 'Rapid', 'Giant' 'Easy' etc. are added to a name to make you think it is 'Smart', 'Fast' etc.  Or alternatively, a sales ploy to deliberately put the idea into your head that you are buying a bargain. 'Cheap Rail Tickets' being one of my favourites from one on-line seller. Another example: 'Rapid' self service ticket machine - multiple button pressing, time of day considerations, choose a railcard, a card reader that is not illuminated then 50 seconds to print the tickets and the receipt. 'Rapid' - I think not! I notice that these particular machines have now been replaced. The new ones are similar, but no longer branded 'Rapid' – perhaps the regulator had a word.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Very much like the Apple people placing an i before everything they sell.  Allegedly for "intelligent".  My phone is not in the remotest bit intelligent unless I operate it.  I am the intelligent one.  And the programmers.  The phone can do very little on its own and even less if I disable background update for the apps.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Very much like the Apple people placing an i before everything they sell.  Allegedly for "intelligent".  My phone is not in the remotest bit intelligent unless I operate it.  I am the intelligent one.  And the programmers.  The phone can do very little on its own and even less if I disable background update for the apps.

You've got it wrong.

You have to be intelligent to find all the wondrous features that have been built in and nobody wants.:)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

My iPhone is much more intelligent than I am, not that I'm much to write home about, and my Mac is much more intelligent than my iPhone.  They've got much better memories as well.  

My first serious encounter with digital technology was years ago with a pocket calculator, an amazing device that enabled me to work out mathematical problems accurately incorrectly to 16 decimal places.  I've never looked back since then, but that's because I'm scared someone is following me...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

Obviously a lot of people haven’t put in enough practice at reading documents upside down on the boss’s desk.

An excellent way of disseminating information that you wanted your minions to know but couldn’t possibly tell them - Machiavellian or what  :mocking_mini:

• Agree 4