The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... unlike cricket, apparently you MUST catch the ball with a glove, bare handed has never occurred to anyone!!

I note the tongue in cheek, but of course you and I know there are plenty of examples of bare handed catches both on the field and off the field by fans. Infamously in the recent world series a fan elected to 'field' a home run ball with his torso so as not to drop either of his beers.

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... too many people aren't watching the game/action, instead pre-occupied with various things mostly screen related. If they watched the game they'd be able to avoid OR better still catch the foul ball. Never used to be as much a problem...

I don't think we can pick on the two year-old at Minute Maid park for inattentiveness. One could question the sensibility of taking a two year-old to sit where foul balls are possible or even likely.

According to this article, a fan who died at Dodger Stadium in 2018 was the first since 1970 (also at Dodger Stadium). Reportedly there was also a fan death in 1943. The "Baseball Rule" which limits liability was determined in 1913 arguing that fans elect to sit in an exposed area do so at their own risk with informed consent. The first screen was installed in 1879 and apparently the area behind the plate was known (around that time) as the "slaughter pen". A review in 2014 found that 1,750 baseball fans are injured each year.  Certainly being attentive to the game mitigates injury but it can't prevent all of them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. I remember when Derby County used to play at the Baseball Ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Ground

Jason

Named, and built, by the owner of Leys Foundry, which backed on to it. Originally built by him as a baseball ground in an attempt to import the game from America, which failed. 

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

It failed in Derby (so did the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion, must be something about the place), but there is a British Baseball Federation and a number of clubs.  I was brung up in Roath Park, a district of Cardiff, and we had, still have, a 'rec', a recreation ground used mostly for football or rugby, but which in my childhood hosted the baseball cup final every other year; bleachers would be set up and a BBC outside broadcast unit would appear, as the thing went out live on 'Grandstand'.  

I was told that this was because the game was popular in working class areas of Cardiff and Liverpool in particular, and that these cities hosted the cup final in alternative years.  I realised years later that the person who told me this was using the term 'working class areas' as code for areas in which there were drinking clubs based around Roman Catholic churches, and it was apparently in these that the game gained a British foothold.  

• Informative/Useful 7

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

One of my school's games was Soft Ball which was a bit like Baseball without the armour & aggression.:good_mini:

Softball is very popular as a participatory recreation in the US. Many groups (like workplaces or service groups) will field softball teams in recreational leagues. It is also played competitively in US women's collegiate athletics. 

• Like 2