The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

A curiosity that I pass almost every day.

Other than the person who put it there, I doubt anyone knows what it says, because the front of it faces an impenetrably dense thicket of trees and bushes.

The section of fence that it is fixed to is just as baffling, because it is a dead-end spur off of a boundary fence, two or three panels that stick out, then just end. I’m standing on a public path, and on the other side is public grass, then public impenetrable thicket.

My conclusion is that the fence only exists to hold up the sign that nobody can read.

7639BC19-C377-48C9-88E2-1E2B15E94EB0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

My conclusion is that the fence only exists to hold up the sign that nobody can read.

It's an initiative test. You are supposed to hold your phone through the fence and take a photo.

Martin.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Without dropping it!

Retrieving it is the second part of the test.

Those in the know will have attached a piece of string to it first, and tied it round their wrist.

The sign actually says "Well Done!".

Martin.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Retrieving it is the second part of the test.

Those in the know will have attached a piece of string to it first, and tied it round their wrist.

The sign actually says "Well Done!".

Martin.

And in tiny letters. 'Now that was more trouble than it's worth!'.

• Funny 4

No, the fence is almost new, it arrived with the re-fencing of the school about two years ago.

The only viable explanation that I can think of is that the fence was erected to deter short-cut-taking, which would ruin the grass fairly swiftly, that the panel came with an irrelevant sign already fixed to it.

we shall probably never know the truth ...... which is really the essence of any good story on the internet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This topic is really two topics:

1. signs which are intended to be whacky by the perpetrators -- usually only worth a groan.

2. signs which are unintentionally funny. Sometimes hilarious.

Here for example is a very ordinary sign:

no_loading1.jpg.9d055af3c44e44c16441749a6022bc01.jpg

Until you see where it is placed:

no_loading2.jpg.1b7cad0b1428d3b6d951c09dfe1830f4.jpg

That's a long brick wall as high as a double-decker bus, with a pavement literally only a foot wide. I stood looking at it for a long time trying to work out who might have been loading what there, and with such frequency that it needed a notice to prohibit it. Answers on a postcard.

Martin.

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

It isn't a sign - just a spacer for the uprights of the fence.

Stewart

Wrong

It is 4 bolts and their backing plate in place for a sign to be fixed to when it arrives......

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It is 4 bolts and their backing plate in place for a sign to be fixed to when it arrives......

Wrong.

It originally faced forward. Whoever was sent to remove it didn't have the right size spanner, so turned the entire fence panel round instead.

They are probably metric bolts, and all such signs will have to come down after Brexit.

Martin.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

This topic is really two topics:

1. signs which are intended to be whacky by the perpetrators -- usually only worth a groan.

2. signs which are unintentionally funny. Sometimes hilarious.

Here for example is a very ordinary sign:

no_loading1.jpg.9d055af3c44e44c16441749a6022bc01.jpg

Until you see where it is placed:

no_loading2.jpg.1b7cad0b1428d3b6d951c09dfe1830f4.jpg

That's a long brick wall as high as a double-decker bus, with a pavement literally only a foot wide. I stood looking at it for a long time trying to work out who might have been loading what there, and with such frequency that it needed a notice to prohibit it. Answers on a postcard.

Martin.

The road and pavement look newer than the wall so perhaps its from before the road was there. Also the road looks rather steep  so perhaps loading and unloading in that particular place is not a good idea.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The road and pavement look newer than the wall so perhaps its from before the road was there. Also the road looks rather steep  so perhaps loading and unloading in that particular place is not a good idea.

The road and wall have been there for the whole of my lifetime, and for some considerable time before -- even though it is called "New Road". Here it is in 1903:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/121152191#zoom=5&lat=8884&lon=7069&layers=BT

The font and wording of the sign are more modern than the wall. An original sign would have been cast iron, in all upper-case white lettering on black, saying something like "LOADING HERE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PENALTY FORTY SHILLINGS". smile.gif

Yes, the road is quite steep. Making it all the more unlikely that anyone would think of stopping there to load anything, or need a sign to advise them of the fact.

Here is the Google streetview -- I now see that the "no loading" yellow marks are also on the road, and the latest yellow lines have been moved in to make room for them. So clearly someone must have been loading something there to cause annoyance: confused.gif

https://goo.gl/maps/MyVaDhEQpnCmDbq5A 

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
links added
  • Like 1

Martyn, I would guess that vans/lorries are in the habit, maybe they have a legal exception, of stopping on double yellow lines, using the excuse that they are loading. Basically the sign is saying no stopping here, to those who thought they could.

• Like 1

Three signs from a recent trip to Bosnia, which is a really fabulous place to visit. The railway interest on the trip is written up here.

The general message is fairly clear although the need for it is worrying. 

1443273702_sign1.JPG.194995ebc4eebb8e0eb2da4fc3780229.JPG

Absolutely unambiguous (and an unfortunate legacy of a war that ended 25 years ago)

sign_3.JPG.6434e97ed5ccb101e0eed1b892f9b783.JPG

But what on earth is this intended to convey? (it was pinned to a tree in the compound surrounding a mosque).

sign_2.jpg.2e1f43e5fabe6261419b8732241d3f97.jpg

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 3