The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2019 at 20:12, manna said:

G'Day Folks

69995572_2334722250103432_8541709028458233856_n.jpg

That reminds me that a friend's son is required to take trigonometry this year during his senior year. Trig for gosh sake is totally useless for daily living. BTW, his entire class failed the first test!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Trig for gosh sake is totally useless for daily living.

Your mobile phone wouldn't work if the entire population subscribed to your view on the subject.

The radio wave modulation system which gives us the higher data rate depends on the application of trigonometric functions to the radio waves (phase modulation in particular, to the sine wave carrier).

Trigonometry is also rather important in designing the propagation between mast and handset. The land topography modelling was originally dependent on surveyors using trigonometry. Modern day topographical mapping of course now relies on satellite mapping, using binocular imaging and radar altimetry, both using phase change in the incident waves to measure the altitude - phase change measurement requires knowledge of trigonometry to devise the algorithms.

The path from my computer screen to the RMweb server relies on pahse modulation, both from the PC to the modem and from the modem to the ISP.

Certainly, you wouldn't usually need to know anything about trigonometry to have a chat face to face, so you yourself may be able to live in ignorance of trigonometry and its applications in the real world. But don't try telling the world that it isn't important by means of using a communications medium which relies on some people having that knowledge.

Edited by DIW
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

That reminds me that a friend's son is required to take trigonometry this year during his senior year. Trig for gosh sake is totally useless for daily living. BTW, his entire class failed the first test!

Not true. I used trigonometry to correct the camber on the rear of my rally Mini without needing to buy expensive (and possibly more fragile) adjustable brackets :mellow:

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Sprintex said:

Not true. I used trigonometry to correct the camber on the rear of my rally Mini without needing to buy expensive (and possibly more fragile) adjustable brackets :mellow:

Paul

I would have thought that you would have used a wrench.:biggrin_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Trigonometry is one of the most useful things I learned at school.  I still use it most days, but then I am an Engineer and us Engineers view things a bit differently to the rest of the population!

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

11 hours ago, DIW said:

Your mobile phone wouldn't work if the entire population subscribed to your view on the subject.

The radio wave modulation system which gives us the higher data rate depends on the application of trigonometric functions to the radio waves (phase modulation in particular, to the sine wave carrier).

Trigonometry is also rather important in designing the propagation between mast and handset. The land topography modelling was originally dependent on surveyors using trigonometry. Modern day topographical mapping of course now relies on satellite mapping, using binocular imaging and radar altimetry, both using phase change in the incident waves to measure the altitude - phase change measurement requires knowledge of trigonometry to devise the algorithms.

The path from my computer screen to the RMweb server relies on pahse modulation, both from the PC to the modem and from the modem to the ISP.

Certainly, you wouldn't usually need to know anything about trigonometry to have a chat face to face, so you yourself may be able to live in ignorance of trigonometry and its applications in the real world. But don't try telling the world that it isn't important by means of using a communications medium which relies on some people having that knowledge.

G'day Folks

What's a Mobile Phone......

manna

• Funny 5