The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

/\This looks like it might be the start of the "hundred mile beach" in New Zealand, which is not a hundred miles long but can be driven on and does have a speed restriction sign as you go onto it (100kph). It might just be a fill in flash.

Thanks Rich. Correct, see google Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/6dScnEZRz942

Martin.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Never mind how to address a bear, does anyone else think that a nuisance bear is the kind that steals picnic baskets? :jester:

My sister, living in Ontario and having a holiday cabin in Algonquin Park, some years ago sent me a leaflet the park people had given out to cabineers with advice about bears. It included 'if you encounter a bear, remember that you are more afraid of it than it is of you.  It can run at up to 30mph, and climb trees.  It is advisable not to put yourself in a situation where you might encounter a bear alone; always take a friend with you.  And make sure you can run faster than your friend...'

Made an impression on me!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There is also this sign a little further back:

https://goo.gl/maps/c7JTbvurF2n

And it looks like the Google driver gave up when he (she) got to the sand.

Keith

Yet, there was a send up I posted recently, where an American documentary was pulled to bits, due to it claiming in part that Australia had no beaches, only rocky outcrops along the coast.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article210654079.htmlSorry to be a party pooper, but the photo really is fake. That's according to Visit KC spokesperson Derek Klaus, who said it "has been doctored to include a misspelling where there is none."

Why let the facts spoil a good story? lol :)

• RMweb Premium

Colin_McLeod, on 22 Jul 2018 - 22:52, said:

Why let the facts spoil a good story? lol :)

Is that the strapline for the Daily Wail?

Keith

or most of the other news? papers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That one reminds me...

Many years ago a trade newspaper published an article about drinking habits and someone in the office did a quick survey which included a question about how many nights a week did you go home and have a drink.  One chap said he didn't understand the question and asked "why would anyone working here not go home and pour a drink?!".

Edited by teaky