The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

I'm fascinated by the fact that the Police in your area still apparently ride Triumph Speed Twins with Avon fairings though ;).

And use old-fashioned box cameras to take photographs of speeders.

And steam trains are seen at all ungated level crossings.

Pictographs tend to lag reality, or are deliberately based on something old-fashioned as it's more recognisable.

• RMweb Premium

We've got those in Western Australia too, although they're more for nicking mobile phone users than catching speeders. They're not too hard to spot, though, because, although the bikes are unmarked, the riders are in full, bulky Police issue hi-viz and white helmets, which would be unusual for private individuals, at least on the types of bikes used.

I'm fascinated by the fact that the Police in your area still apparently ride Triumph Speed Twins with Avon fairings though ;).

They don't use motorbikes to catch drivers using mobiles in the UK, a couple of forces use unmarked trucks to catch them.

Once, stuck in the car park which is the M6 around Birmingham, a bloke in the next lane to me had his seat nearly horizontal and was playing a trumpet !

Which itself is illegal - Rule 112 of the highway code

Use your horn only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively.

You MUST NOT use your horn while stationary on the road!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You MUST NOT use your horn while stationary on the road!

Unless you are a private hire vehicle at 2 AM when it is compulsory to attract the attention of your fare. :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. I was out cycling in the Vale of York, near to Pocklington earlier today, and I came across this funny old sign. I cannot resist posting it here.

post-22631-0-23909900-1527451853.jpeg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

From the linked site, my bold:

The Sexiest WC on Earth offers the perfect balance between the private and common areas. Literally, the common area is a transparent territory with an exclusive community washbasin.

Guests are invited to select the colour of their own toilet roll from the wall display at access corridor and insulated individual cabinets, seamlessly cleaned, work as a shell or cocoon, with walls covered by 1000’s of pieces of wood.

Surely "exclusive" and "community" are mutually exclusive here? Or has something been lost in translation.

Edited by eastwestdivide

From the linked site, my bold:

Surely "exclusive" and "community" are mutually exclusive here? Or has something been lost in translation.

Presumably it is exclusive as it is found no where else, and community because all who use the facility can use it?

How can a wall covered in all those irregular pieces of wood be hygienic?

Hardly wipe-downable is it?

keith

Agreed, in as much the wipe-downable aspect, but,

bare wood has natural anti-bacterial qualities.

There was a study done a few years ago, where they

tested/used a selection of chopping boards in a kitchen,

(stainless steel, glass, plastic and wood).

All were used for a variety of things and wiped down at

the end of the day, then left out. Next morning, all were

tested for bacterial growth, all had sizeable colonies of

bacteria, except the wood, where the natural properties

of the wood had killed off almost all the bacteria.

The things one learns as a member of RMWeb...

steve

• Like 1

Presumably it is exclusive as it is found no where else, and community because all who use the facility can use it?

That might be the intention, but "exclusive" really means "excludes the (implied) riff-raff", while "community" implies "for everyone".

I'd have thought the "found nowhere else" meaning would be better expressed as "unique", if it weren't for the fact that "unique" seems to be used now for "relatively unusual" instead of "one-off". 

Useful words that are no longer useful because you can't be sure what people mean by them any more: 1. unique; 2. refute... 

Rant over, back to the whacky (wacky?) signs, a case of wishful thinking:

post-6971-0-23153700-1527497022.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That might be the intention, but "exclusive" really means "excludes the (implied) riff-raff", while "community" implies "for everyone".

I'd have thought the "found nowhere else" meaning would be better expressed as "unique", if it weren't for the fact that "unique" seems to be used now for "relatively unusual" instead of "one-off". 

Useful words that are no longer useful because you can't be sure what people mean by them any more: 1. unique; 2. refute... 

Rant over, back to the whacky (wacky?) signs, a case of wishful thinking:

attachicon.gifWishful thinking.jpg

Are they scrapping railway enthusiasts now?

Are they scrapping railway enthusiasts now?

Only those past their service life. Oh, let me re-phrase that... 

In fact I've met a few spare parts on the ends of platforms over the years as well.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

A distinct improvement. Anything which adds a some interest to Didcot deserves major applause in my view. A once honest to goodness railway and military town with little else to commend it apart from the roads leading elsewhere. I obviously exclude the GWS site from this summary of course and the railway in general still retains greater interest than most places but they're not the town, it's a an ever expanding tip which has become increasingly difficult to drive through over the years.

I quite like Didcot ‘town’ centre, although it’s more like a large village street to me, lots of decent charity shops there, picked up some bargains there over the years, not been for a while though as I don’t get many lodge jobs that way any more, much prefer to stop there than the likes of Wallingford (which admittedly is far more picturesque) or wantage although I do prefer Abingdon

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

So you just leave the turds there and the wood neutralises it? :jester:

Keith