The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

Someone (wide load?) has not-so-neatly folded the edge of the second sign round its supporting (lamp?) post...

I'd allwuz thought Gotham (City) wuz part o' Briztol. I'd allwuz tawt my kids such ! ?

A34 to M4 and turn right...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A distinct improvement.  Anything which adds a some interest to Didcot deserves major applause in my view.  A once honest to goodness railway and military town with little else to commend it apart from the roads leading elsewhere.  I obviously exclude the GWS site from this summary of course and the railway in general still retains greater interest than most places but they're not the town, it's a an ever expanding tip which has become increasingly difficult to drive through over the years.

• RMweb Premium

Without the "Road Closed" sign you just know some pillock is going to try it and get stuck.

Like the pillock that lives near me.

Droves his BMW X7 (or was X6 or X8?) through a deep ford and totally wrecked it

The engine was a write-off.

Keith

Edited for spill chucker

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't take an early Espace near a puddle, the air intake was under the bumper!!!!

Don't take an early Espace near a puddle, the air intake was under the bumper!!!!

At least one journo gave a Cournil (early 80s budget 4x4, later reincarnated as the UMM Alter/Transcat) a big drink of water through a low mounted air intake. Its Peugeot diesel engine didn't like it much, going by the photo of U shaped conrods and fragmented pistons that accompanied the article :D.

Most cars can go through surprisingly deep water - the obvious thing is to go very gently and keep the engine revving. I think many people drive through floods far too fast sending water everywhere including their own air intake.

• RMweb Premium

Like my TR6 where the air intake was below the radiator.

After an encounter with a not very deep ford I changed it.

Keith

Most cars can go through surprisingly deep water - the obvious thing is to go very gently and keep the engine revving. I think many people drive through floods far too fast sending water everywhere including their own air intake.

Whilst not an expert off-roader, I've always been of the understanding that a certain amount of speed is beneficial, because a bow wave builds up ahead of the vehicle, leaving a corresponding reduction in water level behind the grille/radiator, keeping the engine compartment dry(ish). However, said speed must be built up smoothly as the vehicle  enters the water. Just hitting the flood/ford at full chat will throw "chunks" of water everywhere, including into the vital bits. It also makes it a bit of a problem if you're forced to stop halfway 'cos then the bow wave will disappear and your engine compartment fills up.

Something also not often appreciated when wading is that a hot axle or gearbox, dunked in cold water, will suck its surroundings in through its breather as the air inside contracts on cooling. If it happens to be underwater that means it will pull in water, which lubricates rather less well than EP90. This may be less of a problem with modern vehicles as, I suspect, open breathers are something of a no-no environmentally these days. Whilst water in a diff or gearbox doesn't have as spectacular effect as hydraulicking an engine it's still quite detrimental in the medium to long term.

• RMweb Premium

Landrovers have wading kits for axle breathers etc, available https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=defender+wading+kit, this with a properly sealed snorkel and use of the various drains mean you can go a little deep... http://www.land-rover-blog.co.uk/video-driving-a-land-rover-6-metres-underwater/

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

Landrovers have wading kits for axle breathers etc, available https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=defender+wading+kit, this with a properly sealed snorkel and use of the various drains mean you can go a little deep... http://www.land-rover-blog.co.uk/video-driving-a-land-rover-6-metres-underwater/

Indeed. I was thinking more of stuff that shouldn't really be wading but may be called upon to do so in an emergency/incidence of driver...erm...misjudgement.

• RMweb Premium

In January 2007, on a back road in deepest Somerset, after dark, in Mrs mole's first Motability car, a Daewoo Lacetti, we were into a flood with no warning. Now I don't drive but was aware that keeping the revs up was vital so told her to keep going. I reckon it was a good 2ft deep in the middle, possibly more, but the car kept going and we got out the other side. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about; we had our teenager and 5-year old with us and weren't sure exactly where we were. You could hear water sloshing about in the bottom of the bodywork for weeks after.

Whilst not an expert off-roader, I've always been of the understanding that a certain amount of speed is beneficial, because a bow wave builds up ahead of the vehicle, leaving a corresponding reduction in water level behind the grille/radiator, keeping the engine compartment dry(ish). However, said speed must be built up smoothly as the vehicle  enters the water. Just hitting the flood/ford at full chat will throw "chunks" of water everywhere, including into the vital bits. It also makes it a bit of a problem if you're forced to stop halfway 'cos then the bow wave will disappear and your engine compartment fills up.

Something also not often appreciated when wading is that a hot axle or gearbox, dunked in cold water, will suck its surroundings in through its breather as the air inside contracts on cooling. If it happens to be underwater that means it will pull in water, which lubricates rather less well than EP90. This may be less of a problem with modern vehicles as, I suspect, open breathers are something of a no-no environmentally these days. Whilst water in a diff or gearbox doesn't have as spectacular effect as hydraulicking an engine it's still quite detrimental in the medium to long term.

Indeed, although the speed for a good sized bow wave is surprisingly low, walking speed is more than sufficient!

The logic is sound, however people seriously underestimate the power of their radiator fan, and the fact that their entire radiator is engineered as a big scoop to let things flow in. If the fan is running (or the water shorts the contacts on your thermostat!) it throws water everywhere into the engine compartment, causing all kinds of mayhem. For instance, water in the spark plug chambers can cause a short between the terminal and the block, bypassing the cylinder and stopping you dead in your tracks. More throttle makes the problem worse as the increased resistance across the electrode increases the amount of current flowing through the short.

If the water is deep enough to reach your radiator, you may think the bow wave is the water moving out of the way, but a significant amount will still be flowing into the engine bay.