The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

A little while back whilst driving to Sunderland on the A690 Durham Road. I (and other car drivers) were driving in the ‘car lane’. Ahead was a bus in the car lane? The bus lane was empty??

What sort of bus was it? Sometimes bus lanes are intended for specific buses, i.e. local public transport and not tour buses.

• RMweb Premium

What sort of bus was it? Sometimes bus lanes are intended for specific buses, i.e. local public transport and not tour buses.

There are often good reasons for a bus not to use a bus lane that it's entitled to, e.g. to avoid pulling out across traffic to turn right at the next junction, or to avoid a separate traffic light that's red. And if the road isn't busy, there's no particular reason for them to use it anyway.

There's nothing in the law or the highway code that says busses have to use a bus lane if it's there. 

It's rather like the way some people get offended with cyclists in the road when there's a separate cycle path....even if that path is on a pavement shared with pedestrians and involves giving way at each side road rather than having priority.

And lest anyone thinks I'm suggesting that all bus drivers are paragons of good behaviour, I'll share the story of the learner driver bus I saw yesterday with a sign on the back saying something along the lines that drivers should be tolerant as it takes time to train bus drivers be courteous to other road users. Then the in-service bus behind (same bus company) came with no justification to a stop at a junction not only on the cycle advanced starting zone but part way across the pedestrian crossing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plant is Welsh for children.

But the rogue apostrophe in the line above rather changes the meaning. (It was actually above a rack of children's rucksacks).

post-18810-0-58964300-1511683078.jpg

(Edited to remove duplicated content - which I am almost certain I didn't do)

Edited by Coryton
  • Like 1