The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

^ Liked, notwithstanding the grammar.

I wonder if the one thing the English language really needs in this day and age is a gender-neutral singular pronoun, and a gender-neutral collective noun wouldn't go astray either.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

^ Liked, notwithstanding the grammar.

I wonder if the one thing the English language really needs in this day and age is a gender-neutral singular pronoun, and a gender-neutral collective noun wouldn't go astray either.

English already has a gender-neutral singular pronoun: "they". And a gender-neutral collective noun is "folks".

That's all, folks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with Pundland, I was given a "new " toblerone recently and was most disapponted to find all the huge gaps. Sadly as a diabetic I had to hand the Toblerone over to SWMBO :stinker:  (minus one bit :O  )

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with Pundland, I was given a "new " toblerone recently and was most disapponted to find all the huge gaps. Sadly as a diabetic I had to hand the Toblerone over to SWMBO :stinker:  (minus one bit :O  )

I bet you didn't take the bit with the gap though.

• RMweb Gold

You appear to have a greengrocers' 's' in there.  Folk is plural - no need for the 's'.

Folk is a single collection of people.

Folks refers to the individual members of that collection.

From here:

"Folks is a collection of individual folk. The distinction being that "folk" refers to a mass or a mob -- It is referring to the collection or the mass itself. "Folks" is referring to the plurality of individuals that make up the mass."

So Folks is correct in this case :)

• Like 2

Folk is a single collection of people.

Folks refers to the individual members of that collection.

From here:

"Folks is a collection of individual folk. The distinction being that "folk" refers to a mass or a mob -- It is referring to the collection or the mass itself. "Folks" is referring to the plurality of individuals that make up the mass."

So Folks is correct in this case :)

that_s_all_folks__by_surrimugge-d6rfav1.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly not the same thing anymore since Kraft took over and changed the recipe...

Unfortunately not the same since AFAIK Cadbury themselves started adding rubbish many years ago.

Hence the fact that it really doesn't qualify as proper chocolate.

Never could get my head around chocolate bars with hardly any cocoa solids in!

The Bournville "Dark" chocolate originally had less cocoa solids than most Continental milk chocolate. :scratchhead:

Aldi Have been marketing a copycat "Mountain" bar for years with no problems from Kraft/Mondelez.

Keith

• Like 1

Unfortunately not the same since AFAIK Cadbury themselves started adding rubbish many years ago.

Hence the fact that it really doesn't qualify as proper chocolate.

Never could get my head around chocolate bars with hardly any cocoa solids in!

The Bournville "Dark" chocolate originally had less cocoa solids than most Continental milk chocolate. :scratchhead:....

If you want "chocolate" (technically vegelate / chocolate-flavoured vegetable fat) with no cocoa solids, I believe you can obtain such an abomination under the brand name "Hersheys", but British mainstream brands are coming quite close to the zero level too.