The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

This is one of a number of signs in the streets around the disused pub in New Cross where Shaun of the Dead was being filmed.

attachicon.gifZombie warning 5.03 Monson Rd SE14.jpg

I'm printing off a heap of those signs right now, so If there ever IS a zombie apocalypse and I am one of the early zombies I will just stick those signs up all around the place and it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel..

Something I've noticed recently in toilets in a variety of places as diverse as  the office block where I work and on GWR HSTs, is signs to the effect of:

"Do not flush anything other than toilet paper down this toilet."

I'm not sure that's quite what they meant....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A certain heritage railway near me has a sign in a toilet cubicle saying something like, "No items [at all] are to be flushed down this toilet". It's a very clean toilet ... shame about the smell from the bins. 

• RMweb Gold

In a lot of toilets in South East Asia one is specifically instructed not to put toilet paper in the toilet but into the bin provided. Apparanty the sewerage system can only cope with No1 and No2 but No3(everything else) would cause a blockage.

post-158-0-49678500-1502637087.jpg

Edit to add picture.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

In a lot of toilets in South East Asia one is specifically instructed not to put toilet paper in the toilet but into the bin provided. Apparanty the sewerage system can only cope with No1 and No2 but No3(everything else) would cause a blockage.

The problem was some tourists of south east Asian origin transferred that procedure to a Eurostar on which the family and I were travelling to Paris back in the 1990s.  And if you've ever experienced that sort of behaviour in an ontrain toilet you'll readily understand why it was a problem for other users.

Something I've noticed recently in toilets in a variety of places as diverse as  the office block where I work and on GWR HSTs, is signs to the effect of:

"Do not flush anything other than toilet paper down this toilet."

I'm not sure that's quite what they meant....

There was a one in a similar vane on hire boats, "do not flush anything down this toilet unless you have eaten it first"

• Like 2

A certain heritage railway near me has a sign in a toilet cubicle saying something like, "No items [at all] are to be flushed down this toilet". It's a very clean toilet ... shame about the smell from the bins. 

Any truth in the rumour a certain other heritage railway is going to put up a sign saying

"Please do not flush anything down the toilet. Use the hole where the floor should be instead."?

• RMweb Premium

The problem was some tourists of south east Asian origin transferred that procedure to a Eurostar on which the family and I were travelling to Paris back in the 1990s.  And if you've ever experienced that sort of behaviour in an ontrain toilet you'll readily understand why it was a problem for other users.

A local radio announcer told of the time, he was upgraded from business class to first class, on an international flight. Put hiis head into the toilet cubicle & beat a hasty retreat! Someone had done No. 2's on the floor. Had a quiet word with the hostess, as you would. She exclaimed 'That's twice already'!

Spent a fair proportion of the rest of the flight, wondering which of the other 7 in first class, was the culprit.

• RMweb Premium

Having Spent a couple of years as  maintenance man for Tescos, I don't envy the cleaners job, unfortunately I had to deal with blockages and breakages :O

• RMweb Premium

Somebody once did No 2s in the urinal at House of Fraser Birmingham.

Although I was dying for a pee I somehow managed to hold on!

We had problems where I worked with people not of Western origin used to constantly soil the cubicles due to their customary practice of standing to do a No.2

I didn't envy the poor cleaner who had to put up with this practice. :nono:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Moulded on the bottom of my kettle is this symbol:

post-1103-0-48678300-1502713084.jpg

I think it means "do not place kettle under bed". I hadn't thought of doing so, but now that I've been told not to ...

Other meanings are available.

Turning it through 90 or 180 degrees might help. Or not.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Noteably IRN BRU was sold as Iron Brew, until trading standards got involved, it's not brewed and not made of iron.(1946)

• RMweb Premium

Noteably IRN BRU was sold as Iron Brew, until trading standards got involved, it's not brewed and not made of iron.(1946)

It still used to claim that it was "made in Scotland from girders"

Keith