The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

I have read that the baby on board signs started as something to make emergency services aware in case of an accident...don't know how true it is though.

And the emergency services hated them. They never actually knew if a baby was on board and could waste time searching.

Stewart

And the emergency services hated them. They never actually knew if a baby was on board and could waste time searching.

Stewart

The misuse of the sign is the problem as it should only be used if there is actually a baby being transported rather like a removable Hazchem Panel!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

The misuse of the sign is the problem as it should only be used if there is actually a baby being transported rather like a removable Hazchem Panel!

Mark Saunders

I quite like the thought of a baby being considered in the same manner as a hazardous load.

It's clear that there are different schools of thought as to what they are for...but I wonder what proportion of people just put one up because it's what people do without even thinking about the purpose?

• RMweb Premium

Baby on board sign is to excuse the driving by the oh so very careful mother when she drives into you in a car park, following a manoeuver made without bothering to look  

Or as a free pass to charge past you at 100mph+ in the fast lane on the motorway.

From the "wilful misunderstanding of foreign language signs" department,

are you brave enough to continue, or are you going to chicken out?

post-6971-0-86737700-1499519827.jpg

Dutch wild = wild (animal), rooster = grid (like raster in English).

• Like 5

^^^

I work at a hospital, some of my colleagues hold their car park passes in their mouths after taking them out of the entry barriers!  

At least the facilities they may need are nearby then :).

Translated by someone on the tour as :-

" No unauthorised persons or trains to pass through this door"

Taken Casablanca station on the Hershey railway 2015

post-9131-0-06180700-1499806969_thumb.jpg

Edited by stadman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

To be fair I think the sign is also referring to the sign in the background - and possibly others too...

Perhaps it is, but if signs in the cycle way need advance warning, a sign in the cycle way definitely isn't the way to do it.

Unless there's one before that that we can't see....and one before that....and one before that one...

• RMweb Gold

Baby on board sign is to excuse the driving by the oh so very careful mother when she drives into you in a car park, following a manoeuver made without bothering to look  

Agreed, take those signs as a warning that the driver (male or female) is likely to be distracted from the job in hand by the sprog in the back.

They don't cause me to modify my driving in any way, and I certainly don't think they would have any effect on the wilder elements using our roads.

Just a passport to the designated parking area nearest the supermarket entrance, I suppose.

John

• RMweb Premium

Just a passport to the designated parking area nearest the supermarket entrance, I suppose.

John

Usually without the accompanying brat child

Just why are parent and child spaces nearer to the entrance than disabled spots?

And the poor disabled driver trying to find a spot when the yummy mummies have "overspilled" into disabled spots and is castigated by a mother with "All the spots are full where else should I park"

Try ordinary parking spots you lazy b*stards.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

castigated by a mother with "All the spots are full where else should I park"

The white lines on a supermarket car park have no legal standing. If you need more space simply straddle two spaces. If it's for children, park as far from the entrance as possible to remind them that they have legs. Usually there will be plenty of spaces there. And make them push the trolley back.

Martin.

• Like 5