The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

I saw one of those portakabin toilet/shower units used on the larger building sites yesterday, the name on the side was 'Karzee'. On the same theme the portable toilets used at the Dagenham Town Show for some years were provided by a company called Cox Cabins.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting combination:

attachicon.gif20170509_110035.jpg

Even better than the Fireworks and Cheese stores in Wisconsin.

(Apparently because Wisconsin is the "diary state" (hence the cheese), and you can't buy fireworks without a license in Illinois but you can in Wisconsin...so you cross the state border and are confronted with rather unusual shops.)

And I did see a sign in Slovakia recently that translated as Cheese and Tickets - pointing to a shop selling local cheese with a sideline in tickets for the nearby rack railway (necessary since they abolished guards some years ago and the unmanned station close by doesn't have a ticket machine).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG-20170518-00102.jpg

Vallejo "N.egro Black" paint as bought from Boyes today - maybe putting the Spanish name above the English name wasn't a good idea!

As it's a Spanish manufacturer, and we don't have hang ups over here, from a local point of view, a perfectly valid thing to do!

Mike.

In Poland, the village where I use to live had a shop which proclaimed that it sold a wide range of fruit & veg, boots (!) and in summer - ice cream (!)

There must have been a logic to that, though I'm struggling to understand what it was....

At a guess, they were all things they could make money selling.

Sadly, this year the only thing that's left is the ice cream ( in summer) which is because the shop's close to 2 bus stops, with 11 routes serving the village. Few people wanted to buy boots, as they waited and competition was fierce for fruit and veg sales ( 3 shops nearby). 

• RMweb Premium

A couple of days ago I passed a young waitress standing at a junction just along from a restaurant in the city centre holding a blackbloard with an arrow on it and the word "BUFFETT".  If the food is as bad as the spelling, I'll give it a miss.  

In a queue of traffic the other day I saw a yellow sign warning of roadworks next week.  I'm sure you all know the type, three lines of text, "WORK STARTS / HERE / 27 MAY 17" but this one read "WORKS HERE / HERE / 27 MAY 17".  Wasn't sure exactly where the works would be, the sign seemed unclear...

• RMweb Premium

A couple of days ago I passed a young waitress standing at a junction just along from a restaurant in the city centre holding a blackbloard with an arrow on it and the word "BUFFETT".  If the food is as bad as the spelling, I'll give it a miss.  

It could be argued that spelling isn't a strong point, but cooking good food is! Which is more important at a restaurant? We can't all be perfect at everything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, it worked, you noticed and remembered it and told thousands of other people!

Mike.

holding a blackbloard with an arrow on it and the word "BUFFETT". If the food is as bad as the spelling, I'll give it a miss.

It is always amusingly ironic to spot a spelling mistake in a post which highlights spelling mistakes! Edited by Jinty3f