The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

This is not that whacky in the right context, but what is this sign doing on the side of a wooden passenger platform building on Hove Station. It must be almost a mile from the sea. I find it hard to believe that Hove station had a 'Fish Dock', but I am always open to a spot of historical education. The second photo shows the platform, but not the SV!

post-14351-0-11343500-1491488911_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-06998000-1491488909_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

it must be a dock as in like a cattle dock or horse dock a platform for that particular traffic

That I understand, but it therefore implies that Hove had a large enough fishing industry to warrant having a dedicated platform for its railway traffic. As the coast there is without a harbour, until you get to Portslade, it would have needed a fair sized beach-launched fleet to create that sized demand for rail provision, I would have thought. In the nineteenth century Brighton had quite a large fleet, but this reduced in size throughout the first half of the 20th century. This was based around East Street, which is just to the west of what is now the Grand Pier, much closer to Brighton station. No mention is made in the Brighton & Hove history website of fishing at Hove.

I must do some research!

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

Birmingham New Street had a Fish Dock in the old days. A long way from the sea. smile.gif

A Fish Dock is for smelly fish vans to keep them away from other parts of the station. It may be for despatching fish, or equally for receiving fish for local fish markets.

See: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br1822.htm

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Birmingham New Street had a Fish Dock in the old days. A long way from the sea. smile.gif

A Fish Dock is for smelly fish vans to keep them away from other parts of the station. It may be for despatching fish, or equally for receiving fish for local fish markets.

Martin.

I can see that too, but in Hove's case there was probably enough fish caught locally, Brighton had a decent sized fleet into c20th. I will continue to see what I can find locally.

• RMweb Gold

You might find that the fish dock was for storing of vans, ready to go to Brighton.

It used to happen quite a lot, where surplus vans were stored, awaiting onward destinations, usually empty.

Cattle wagons were stored this way, awaiting fatstock markets. ISTR reading about the Taff Vale storing theirs at Common Branch Junction, on the site of the old locomotive shed.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Martin.

Looking at late C19th maps, there was a siding running towards that part of the station. Indeed it looked as if it ran into a shed, so although it was close into the main station building it could have been used to store and clean fish vans, as has also been suggested, with the S.V. (stop valve) controlling the water.

Don't our RMweb meanderings lead us into interesting aspects of railway practice?

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

It's the 'human' side of railway practice, that makes any situation believable.

I can think of at least one exhibition layout, where locomotives were stabled on a spur. But, no seats! I can't imagine not seeing a seat where footplate staff congregate.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't work out how this will help me dry my hands.......

Maybe they expect you to wring it out, instead of wiping it off!!

• Like 1