The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

There's a recently installed post just down the road from me, with nothing attached to it. Was it one that was put up in the wrong place by the contractors setting up the new speed limit, and left there? Or am I unwittingly committing some heinous offence every time I pass it?

You do have grounds for appeal if you get caught speeding without knowing it.

Edited by Welly

It's not grounds for appeal, it's the embarrassment of being caught speeding in my own village, where reducing the speed limit from 40 to 30 is potentially of great benefit to me!!!!

• RMweb Premium

It's not grounds for appeal, it's the embarrassment of being caught speeding in my own village, where reducing the speed limit from 40 to 30 is potentially of great benefit to me!!!!

I was once 'caught' by a speed camera doing 39mph in a 30 mph zone. They couldn't prosecute me or the other twenty + drivers as the limit had recently been reduced from 40 and the signs had not been taken down.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the old 'You can't book me, as I was the one who reported this location, where everyone speeds' line.

• RMweb Premium

Police: Do You know why i stopped you?

Driver: I was the only one going slow enough for you to catch?

I was once stopped on the way to a family do in London whilst driving at the speed limit.

When the plod officer came over to me he said "Are you lost?" .

I got the feeling he thought something was going on because I was the only one keeping to the limit! :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I have seen  prosecutions for speeding brought via a device in a marked police car manned by an officer in uniform, which appeared to have been duplicated. Closer inspection of the photographs submitted revealed that although it was the same location and the same vehicle, there was a time difference of 30 mins. This person had failed to see the patrol car twice and as he did not answer his summons, we found him guilty on both charges, fined him on the first offence and extra on the second with points on both. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some of these don't!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_car

Mike.

Back in the 60's a friend had an Isetta, as I had a larger car we usually went out in that (6 or 7 in a Morris Oxford) and he left his Isetta in my garage. To everyone else's amusement the first time he drove it right to the back of the garage up against the back wall. After about ten minutes of p!ss taking we rolled it back a few feet so he could get out.

Back in the 60's a friend had an Isetta, as I had a larger car we usually went out in that (6 or 7 in a Morris Oxford) and he left his Isetta in my garage. To everyone else's amusement the first time he drove it right to the back of the garage up against the back wall. After about ten minutes of p!ss taking we rolled it back a few feet so he could get out.

Those wise to this problem used to have a suitable length of wood leaning against the garage wall. You could slide the car side window open and use the timber to push yourself backwards to be able to open the front door.

My dear brother bought a Zundapp car with a wrecked engine(but a reverse gear) and a Zundapp scooter with a wrecked front end. He changed engines and used the car all around our city of Hull. As Hull is mainly a flat city he had no problems. Then he took his latest girlfriend up to Levisham to see the N.Y.M.R. Turning off the main Whitby road they descended the hill and crossed the river bridge, only to find the car would not climb the hill at the other side. Turning around they attempted to retrace their steps only to find they had the same problem with hill they had just descented. She had to walk up that hill and demanded to be taken home. For those who have not already solved this mystery, my brother had not realised Zundapp scooters had a 200cc engine but the cars had a 250. The former is all right for flat cities but not the North Yorkshire moors!

• RMweb Premium

How many temporary traffic lights do you need?

Taken by my passenger yesterday. We weren't moving as the bin wagon was busy collecting rubbish.

post-408-0-22276100-1430231041_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3