Β 

Intermodal interlude (and other YouTube diversions....)

A contact on Facebook put me onto this one - a mile and a half of intermodal moving right along is always impressive, but how about two in parrallel? (Oh, sound is *very* good....!)

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZN5tYIBvlA&feature=share

Β 

And from a link at the end of that, how about the SD70 that thinks it's a pacer!?

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYlMkWWS9us&feature=youtu.be

Β 

Feel free to jump in with your own...

Superb! Really love the first one Martyn.........The ground must have been throbbing!

Am I the only person to think of outfitting a container as a windowed clubroom (with bathrooms, sofa's, beer, grub) and then be transported around North America?

Β 

Best, Pete.

Superb! Really love the first one Martyn.........The ground must have been throbbing!

Am I the only person to think of outfitting a container as a windowed clubroom (with bathrooms, sofa's, beer, grub) and then be transported around North America?

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

Dear Pete,

Β 

Just hope that you aren't put in the bottom of a dbl-stacker well car. The doors are soo close to the end of the well you can't open them, so you is stuck until you're lifted out...

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Β 

1st Response "Trisonic Rescue Team"

Have Skycrane and GPS beacon locator,

will travel...

A contact on Facebook put me onto this one - a mile and a half of intermodal moving right along is always impressive, but how about two in parrallel? (Oh, sound is *very* good....!)

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZN5tYIBvlA&feature=share

Β 

And from a link at the end of that, how about the SD70 that thinks it's a pacer!?

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYlMkWWS9us&feature=youtu.be

Β 

Β 

Dear RMwebbers,

Β 

Pause the first video at 0:10, then concentrate til 0:20, and tell me if that doesn't look like the end of a "lobe type" peninsular on a dual-track layout... :-)

("Relatively" tight curve, the headlight tracing the scenery, and the grade-crossing acting as the visual foil "mid curve"...)

Β 

I was honestly looking for the Kadee curved wire under the couplers... :-)

Β 

EDIT: The last 25 sec just re-inforces the feel... ;-)

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof klyzlr

Great stuff. That second one - not so much a "Thoroughbred", more a kangaroo!

Β 

Can just imagine the in-cab comments:

Β 

- "...gee, watch the bounce on re-entry..."

Β 

- "...did we miss a track order?..."

Β 

- "...darn, another Mazda ran the gate..."

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I've always been a sucker for Superfleet Warbonnets, and this vid certainly hits the spot for me ~

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfexVm1Hy6Q

Β 

And while I'm on the pacing vids, what could possibly be better than some good old 645 grunt? :wink_mini: A pity the original posters account has long closed, he had some fantastic vids which have kept me glued to Youtube for hours on end!

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5iMi6CoFts

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

That first one is incredible - what a bit of luck to be set up for that. Wow. Oh, and in case you're wondering why the 2nd train is blowing for the level crossings...well, the rulebook says blow for level crossings. And if somebody some nitwit had blundering into the path of that train, the crew wants to be covered...

Β 

2nd one - the bounce looks terrifying. I remember watching trains at Selma, NC and seeing the Seaboard System B36-7s bounce like that crossing the Southern's diamonds at 60 mph. Then listening to the crackshot sounds of the wheels of 9000 feet of piggyback cars. Awesome. I imagine my UK friends who've never seen American trains would be just as amazed as I found the Valenta powered HSTs...what a glorious noise they made.

Β 

That first one is incredible - what a bit of luck to be set up for that. Wow.

Β 

It is a real 'what are the chances' - two trains together is one thing, but the chance that both are intermodals to the same length must be infinitessimally small.

Β 

2nd one - the bounce looks terrifying. I remember watching trains at Selma, NC and seeing the Seaboard System B36-7s bounce like that crossing the Southern's diamonds at 60 mph. Then listening to the crackshot sounds of the wheels of 9000 feet of piggyback cars. Awesome. I imagine my UK friends who've never seen American trains would be just as amazed as I found the Valenta powered HSTs...what a glorious noise they made.

Β 

One of the things that stayed with me from my trip back in 2000 was the noise of a long train passing over a diamond - it's an incredible, awesome, dreadful sound, and the multiplication of the sound at locations with several diamonds just overloads the senses.

Β 

Even moving slowly, the way the diamond's components and truck suspensions all move together in a sinuous way is a strangely hypnotic thing.

• 1 month later...

There's a Horse and Buggy in the first clip too. Both were taken either on or around the NS Harrisburg route in PA - that where the Lititz branch comes off too, Jon.

Β 

Nice bit of switching by the timber yard in the first clip - the elevation changes are enhanced by the lens but still pretty extreme.

Β 

Old Chessie hopper at 9:39 on second clip.

Β 

Best, Pete.

There's a Horse and Buggy in the first clip too. Both were taken either on or around the NS Harrisburg route in PA - that where the Lititz branch comes off too, Jon.

Β 

Β 

So there is. Thanks for putting the location in context for me Pete

Β 

Nice bit of switching by the timber yard in the first clip - the elevation changes are enhanced by the lens but still pretty extreme.

Β 

Old Chessie hopper at 9:39 on second clip.

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

Can't beat a bit of switching!

Archived