Β 

Does anyone know how to remove the motor from an Athearn GP35?

Thanks Craig for your replies and explanations!

Β 

Honestly, given a basic service, and assuming - a "Gold side" factory motor + "goldish color" flywheels,

(these are usually the ones that also started coming from the factory with NS wheels,

NWSL do drop-in replacements for the previously sintered-iron wheels),

Β 

I have an older Athearn Geep with the sintered-iron wheels, and it can pull far more cars than a newer one with NS wheels. Of course on Shunty-planks this isn't a consideration, but for my two old SW1500's I wonder if I'm better off leaving the old wheels in, to aid their 'tractive effort'. With DCC I've found a bit of CV-tweaking has helped with their slow running too (gradually getting to grips with that particular Dark Art!!)

Thanks Craig for your replies and explanations!

Β 

Β 

I have an older Athearn Geep with the sintered-iron wheels, and it can pull far more cars than a newer one with NS wheels. Of course on Shunty-planks this isn't a consideration, but for my two old SW1500's I wonder if I'm better off leaving the old wheels in, to aid their 'tractive effort'. With DCC I've found a bit of CV-tweaking has helped with their slow running too (gradually getting to grips with that particular Dark Art!!)

Β 

Dear F-Unit,

Β 

Agreed that the sintered-iron wheels have more adhesion, but when it comes to DCC, I'm led to believe that even the smallest skeric of dust/dirt can be a showstopper. Ergo, NS wheels are almost mandatory???

(The S-I wheels were reknown for their ability to catch, hold, and cake with dust/dirt/etc).

Β 

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I'd agree totally with that, the old sintered wheels were real dirt magnets, the new ones are much better in that regard. If you're DCC then using a DCC concepts stay-alive fitted chip helps a lot too as the SW1500s are pretty light on their feet.

Β 

But ref haulage ability, I had a pair of the new style ones with their smooth wheels running a 43 car (usually plus caboose although it wasn't there when the video was shot!) transfer job at Barrow and Bournmouth without any problem - I honestly hadn't thought they would handle that load but they did so reliably and smoothly. I'd tweaked the CVs so that that was their top speed and that it had a gradual accelaration which I think helped ensure you couldn't spin them out and stall them. They were all reasonably free running cars and I think that was very close to the limits of their capability, but it worked reliably.

Β 

Video here:

Archived