Β 

My excuse is this is a home layout and so the front is it's natural operating position. The rail is at the average height for this type on the the UK circuit to give a good viewing angle, but for operating round the back you'd have to have something to stand on, and a pair of sunglasses to avoid being blinded by the lighting. Being traction, it's more hands on than other layouts that can practically be operated from the side position once the operator knows where the magnets are.

Β 

post-6819-0-63803700-1307908684_thumb.jpg

Β 

Something else that I've noticed is punters like to see the fiddle yard, passing viewers are more likely to be more patient if they know a train is about to enter a layout than if they can't see what's going on.

Β 

Β 

Something else that I've noticed is punters like to see the fiddle yard....

Don't they just..?!? ;) I think I'm just as bad, really! I certainly had almost as much interest "over the back" with Schiller Point at TVNAM as I did from the front - with some punters coming back two or three times!

• RMweb Gold

When one of our layouts is at the end of an isle on a corner and the fiddle yard is at that end we get as much interest from viewers in this area. Last weekend show at Seaford we had this situation and as there weren't any barriers and being a small show we were quite happy with people having a quick look round the back. It is also another alternative to being out front for a chat with the viewers. It also gives the newcomers to the hobby a good chance to see how it's done. A little harder to give general access to viewers at a larger and busy show for security of the stock etc.

Β 

Ian

Archived