Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Hands up those who saw the real thing... post-6680-0-14487600-1352312289.gif

Saw it? Well yes I saw the Midland sets when hanging about at St Pancras watching far more interesting things such as the Tilbury boat trains.

As far as the Western ones were concerned in 1968 when I was on loan to the Cardiff Division for a few weeks I used to travel home on it every Friday - best steak sandwiches I have ever tasted but I haven't a clue what it was like in the 1st Class. Oh and I had a cab trip from Cardiff to Paddington on one a few years later - also on a Friday as it happened ;)

who never saw it but liked it because of the British transport films?

I for one - It was hardly a common sight on Southern rails. :)

But it is a lovely train..really tempting..

However the layout is SR themed and it simply does not fit

Should I lash out the necessary $400.00 or so to get something that will probably end up in a display cabinet?

Or worse hidden away in a drawer?

It's a really tough decision to have to make - :scratchhead:

If I dilly-dally long enough there won't be any left and the market place will have chosen for me!

For those with them and who have carried out some detailed investigation...is there anywhere to fit speakers?

And what do we think would be the closest sound file? Assuming no BP sound chips exist....

Martin

Olivias are offering sound fitted versions...........wonder what they are using?

Does anyone know what the model's incline tackling abilities are? hopefully with two motors it should not have too much difficulty with moderate slopes, I only hope it is better than the Desiro that wheel-slips on even the slightest climb.

Guest maxthemapman

Olivias are offering sound fitted versions...........wonder what they are using?

MAN/NBL engine, diesel electric transmission. Cross between a Warship and a Southern DEMU?

Mornin' all,

The Ivo Peters Steam (ironically) in 1960 video/DVD has some nice footage of a set at Bristol and also some 'on board' scenes. Seem to remember (assuming that the soundtrack was authentic) that the sound was similar to a class 50.

Cheers

Dave

Mine had an inaugural run round Duffield last night (didn't get up the Wirksworth branch for a photo call though). Must check the B-Bs as it came off at times, some of which may have been tripping over the (unnecessary) coupling at the leading cab. I first set it up with the red seats at one end and blue at the other but that left the coach numbers jumbled. Sorting it out left the seat colours jumbled. Will also have to check the inter-car contacts because the ceiling lights on the trailer cars at one end didn't seem to be on although the table lights were on.

Nice runner. Well Done to Bachmann.

Oh, when re-packing, it is worth noting that the different coaches have individualised plastic trays.

I gave mine a test run last night and one of the power cars (Car F) when leading throws itself off on the inside radius of every Peco Code 75 curved point (there are lots on my layout as they largely form the fiddleyard fan and the hidden facing crossover in the fiddleyard throat. I found the back to backs were way out (too wide) and the wheels won't go in to the correct back to back, though I did move them in some way. I think the wheels have not been pressed onto the stub axle properly. The other end's back to backs were spot on and I have tested both power cars both ways round. I shall have a more detailed look to compare the wheels between the two power cars when I have a bit more time available.

I wonder if Bachmann will have spare wheelsets available? I don't want to send mine back just for that issue as it would be corrected in seconds with a pair of wheelsets that have been assembled properly.

Other than that, it runs and looks good.

Couplings are very fiddly to join up though.

• RMweb Gold

Underlined all of them in my combine :sungum:

My 1961/2 combine shows I saw the WR sets but only one of the Midland - must have been at St P or Cricklewood, probably the former, as I got coach numbers. I did have a Pullman day out to Swansea in the final weeks of WR service.

• RMweb Premium

BP Arrived yesterday and it is nothing short of superb, everything I hoped for and a bit more besides.

2 Little niggles (isn't there always!), when running on DCC both power cars are orientated in the same direction so the set either tries to pull itself apart, or compress itself in a "push-me, pull-you" way. Quick rewrite of CV29 in 1 power car and all is well. Anyone else had this?.

Also the cab lights are switched on using the F2 key, but on my Guagemaster Prodigy the F2 key is used (I think) for horn control and as such has to be kept held down to run the lights. Can I reallocate the cab lights to a different function number?.

Please, please do not think this is a moan, it isn't. I for one am very grateful to Bachmann for taking the risk in producing a much wanted model to such a high standard, they deserve to do well from it!

For my part, I saw it whilst on the way from Manchester Central via the Peaks line to St.Pancras (mum had moved to St.Albans) and wasn't particularly interested in it. However, as a purely personal observation, I now consider the Blue Pullman is amongst the small bunch of locos/trains that look better in model form than the real thing. The 8F 2-8-0 Austerity 2-8-0's are others.

Does anyone know what the model's incline tackling abilities are? ...

If it is the same motor unit as in the other BR 1st gen DMU models, which it certainly looked like in Bach's 'internals' publicity shot, then I would think very satisfactory. It could lift 30g on my test rig without wheelslip, and would whip along at a scale 100mph. With just two trailer vehicles per power car I should think it will manage a grade up to 1 in 20 before it starts to seriously slip. Adhesion was better going motor bogie leading while propelling too, and the complete set always has one in this orientation.

Rails are now selling 31-256DC for £266 for those after a great price (24% off).

Kind of blows that 8 week "rule" away.......

Anybody actually had one at this price? I pre-ordered munce ago from Oz, have heard nothing, now according to the website all the original orders have gone, awaiting 2nd delivery?

Ah well, qesarasara,

Cheers,Peter C.

Archived