Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

Hornby and Bachmann will have years to think about things if they miscalculated that the 78 year old Brighton Belle 10-car EMU and the 53 years old Blue Pullman would appeal to young trainset users, collectors and modellers. Neither will be on Ronnie Roundy's radar....He's never heard of them! Interesting times for Hornby on top of the Olympian Wenlock and Mandeville flop.

Aren't Winter nights depressing.....

Conceivably there could be another production run in the 2013/14 cycle.

I think that there is bound to be another run at some point. I did some back-of-an-envelope calculations with figures from Dave Jones as to what it would cost to make a 6-car Blue Pullman. The break-even price came out between £250 and £400 depending on the size of the production run. Bachmann have brought in the unit towards the lower end of that ball-park. The only way I can see it making a decent profit is for the R&D costs to be spread over a fairly large production run. I don't know exactly how large the current run is but I would be suprised if they did not have plans for another run in the fairly near future.

Whether it is the same as the current version or the later MU-fitted variants remains to be seen.

• RMweb Gold

Just when I thought I thought I could convince myself that I didn't need a Nanking Blue one, I have now found my notes from the visit of the Blue Pullman to Sheffield Midland, along with the photographs. It seems I need 2 six car sets with the wraparound yellow ends and MU connections, as the flaming thing turned up fully armed!

:cry:

Mike.

Built in EM gauge by John Webb of the Leamington & Warwick club. Then sold (see S4 Soc thread) and re-gauged (or will be eventually) to 18.82mm gauge. It was built originally as a Midland Railway version of the place, pre-widening of the lines south of the station and the building of the second bridge over the A6. It looked good but slow operation was its weak point in those pre-DCC days.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting recollections of the filming of the famous British transport film, including a photograph from the train of the filming helicopter.

http://davidwatkin.c...n-1960-for-btf/

I never cease to be amazed at the gems you dig up, Michael! A quite remarkable commentary on a film some of us love. Use of Anglo-Saxon reminds us that this was a film made by real people. It also confirms my belief that the "passengers" were actors - most being far too glamorous for the real train on the day, I suspect! TVM for posting!

I never cease to be amazed at the gems you dig up, Michael! A quite remarkable commentary on a film some of us love. Use of Anglo-Saxon reminds us that this was a film made by real people. It also confirms my belief that the "passengers" were actors - most being far too glamorous for the real train on the day, I suspect! TVM for posting!

Im surprised with youtube and the rest that the other film on the construction of the blue pullmans has never made it to the internet yet.

• RMweb Premium

wonder if anyone else has modelled real locations the midland pullman ran through?

Matlock would be a nice one imo

Our club layout is Duffield in the 50's, 60's period. 36 feet long. Modelled from the A6 bridge just south of Chevin tunnel to Makeney Road bridge, just south of the station (slightly compressed). It will comfortably accommodate a Blue Pullman. I have one order along with a fellow club member. It will certainly be running on the layout at next years October Exhibition in Mickleover.

Image added of layout. Taken a while ago as the layout is still under construction.

post-7289-0-30351000-1351464049.jpg

A tri-ang version has been known to pass through

post-7289-0-24181200-1351464109.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing the new Bachmann one on the layout

It's in the supplement, page 63, in b&w not colour. There's only the one photo with the full yellow ends as per the Bachmann model, of power car M60093, and with no jumper cables fitted.

Thanks for that. There is also a picture in the first book, p123. Looks like Bachmann have it right, but the plates below the cab doors look darker than the model which appear to have these silver.

Nice books and good value.

N

Looks like Bachmann have it right, but the plates below the cab doors look darker than the model which appear to have these silver.

N

Oh well, that's it then. I've just cancelled my order. Shame on Bachmann, when will the manufacturers get these things right?????

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :beee:

Oh well, that's it then. I've just cancelled my order. Shame on Bachmann, when will the manufacturers get these things right?????

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :beee:

Quite right Sir - don't blame you !! :jester:

I see we have already reached item D) in post #489 above. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I've just had an email from Hattons saying they are having a Blue Pullman day on 2/11/2012 and that delivery is expected from the 5/11/2012. Sadly for me this is the OO version not the N one which I'm hoping wont be far behind as the advert for it has appeared in the model press.

Cheers

Paul

You guys are a hoot , reading these posts is better than watching the comedy station and no profanities :-)

It's all brought on by the boredom waiting for anticipation of the B^^^ (custard ended) P****** to be released :sungum:

What's that, Dear ? I should make some of those wagon kits, finish converting those Replica suburbans to 4-EPB trailers................

• RMweb Gold

Will be appearing on Abbotswood at the Cheltenham show in April

The custard ended version appeared at Worcester Open Day in 1969 - waiting for photo evidence of Nanking Blue version which I much prefer

Cheers

Phil

Anybody reckon the custard end will be easily removed to reveal Nanking Blue underneath? I wonder if it will just be a bit of tampo printing, otherwise out with the pot of paint. (I have a custard one on order as all the NB ones were sold out).

Stewart

Archived