Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

If only the Midland Pullman set wasn't priced at over £300 I might have looked into buying one. Before people say so I know European HO loco's are around the same price but I'm still getting used to the ever increasing prices of RTR 00 Models.

• RMweb Gold

If only the Midland Pullman set wasn't priced at over £300 I might have looked into buying one. Before people say so I know European HO loco's are around the same price but I'm still getting used to the ever increasing prices of RTR 00 Models.

Does that seem expensive? You are getting a six-coach train with very superior detailing inside and out. I suggest you look into the price of a comparable high-end RTR loco and 5 coaches and see what it might cost. Prices in the European market are a red herring - just compare what else you can buy in UK RTR. I am not a BP customer because it really isn't my locale or era - but that price wouldn't put me off in 2012.

Does that seem expensive? You are getting a six-coach train with very superior detailing inside and out. I suggest you look into the price of a comparable high-end RTR loco and 5 coaches and see what it might cost. Prices in the European market are a red herring - just compare what else you can buy in UK RTR. I am not a BP customer because it really isn't my locale or era - but that price wouldn't put me off in 2012.

OK you have a point. A loco and 5 pullman coaches around £225 ( and more flexible) thats £65 to £75 cheaper if you can get a good deal on the Midland Pullman set. ( it is only my opinion though and I'm not saying it isn't worth the cost to others )

• RMweb Gold

Slightly better than that Ian as it is two high end locos (both power cars are powered) and 4 super detailed coaches. So at current market prices it's 2 locos at £100 each plus 4 coaches at £50 each - or a slight variation of those prices whichever way you care to look at them (a pair of Hornby HST PCs DCC fitted are £206 RRP). Folk will be getting a very highly detailed twin power car train for that money, which by today's standards and set against recent price rises doesn't strike me as much out of kilter with the rest of the market.

This model has been long expected is long expected which should have given folk time to save for what was obviously going to be a quite pricey train; and yes, it is a complete train so inevitably the price will reflect that. And no - like Ian I won't be buying one because it doesn't suit me for locale (but I shall be buying 3 steam outline locos which are likely to cost a bit more in total - and I have been budgetting for them since they were announced at the New Year).

Ive seen the dealer offering these on pre-order for £290. Superb value for a 6 car boxed set like this that Bachmann allegedly thought they would have to retail for £400 when they were in the early stages of considering doing this model - that was 2007 so you would expect it to be nearer £450 maybe in todays money/with annual price increases.

The level of detail inside matches the exterior as I believe theyve even painted the seating as per the prototype so some seats are blue some are red, remember too its a DCC fitted set (with two decoders - one in each powered car so thats £30 worth already!) and for the first time on UK RTR the coaches all have ceiling and vestibule lighting (as well as table lamps) features I hope to see on other future coaches.

I see no argument for beating this model up over its price at all. If demand exceeds supply I can visualise values going up for those who took the decision to buy when they were available. I say that in respect of the standard version but I hate the look of the full yellow ends version and cant help but feel im not alone on that so they may not sell quite as well.

I wonder when someone will make a WR set out of these.

As they were in the main 8 car sets, I doubt we will see a full set from Bachmann if that is what you are driving at but wouldnt rule out another 6 car set. Not sure if some of the intermediate vehicles were repeated - that might enable Bachmann to simply sell single coaches to make an 8 car set up as budgets or space on ones layout allows. The 2 extra cars in a box set might make the price look disproportionately expensive.

If those extra coaches were BOTH bespoke then I cant see tooling being made just for those.

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me, as I feel a sense of....? (Oh sugar it's arrived, now I've got to pay for it!) every time someone posts a new reply in this thread?

Stewart

Hi

Not in my case I've been saving for the n version for the last six months. Money now stashed ready for the release.

Cheers

Paul

As they were in the main 8 car sets, I doubt we will see a full set from Bachmann if that is what you are driving at but wouldnt rule out another 6 car set. Not sure if some of the intermediate vehicles were repeated - that might enable Bachmann to simply sell single coaches to make an 8 car set up as budgets or space on ones layout allows. The 2 extra cars in a box set might make the price look disproportionately expensive.

If those extra coaches were BOTH bespoke then I cant see tooling being made just for those.

As I think has been discussed previously, there was only one vehicle type in common between the six and eight car sets, the trailer parlour first. However, the kitchen firsts had similar bodies. The power cars were different, being three-bay seconds on the WR sets (no toilets) and the WR sets included a seven-bay motor parlour second. Each six or eight car set was made up of two identical half-sets. So the eight-car is a very different set.

Interesting changes of emphasis over the life of this thread.............before it was

A) "We must have a Blue Pullman now"

Then it went to.............

B) . "Why can't we have the WR one too / instead"

Then it went to..............

C) "Why does it have to be that livery & not this one"

Can't wait for the...............

D) "the grilles covering the left hand thrupple nuts are a scale 1/2" too thick - therefore it's a rubbish model !"

and then it'll be..............."

E) e-Bay rip-off merchants etc etc....."

(this post is meant to be light-hearted before some get too animated.....................) :no:

Interesting changes of emphasis over the life of this thread.............before it was "We must have a Blue Pullman now"

Then it went to "Why can't we have the WR one too / instead"

Then it went to "Why does it have to be that livery & not this one"

Can't wait for the "the grilles covering the left hand thrupple nuts are a scale 1/2" too thick - therefore it's a rubbish model !"

and then it'll be "e-Bay rip-off merchants etc etc....."

(this post is meant to be light-hearted before some get too animated.....................) :no:

You're probably right but I'm still getting one :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Credit card is funded for the Bachmann Blue Pullman.

Now a Question:

Do I now sell my Triang 8 car set? I probably would not get as much as I would have a few years ago, or do I convert it to 3 rail to run on my Hornby Dublo track? It is a contemporary model (just) of Hornby Dublo.

Hi all

I've been putting money aside in my local model shop ready for this unit, so when it does arrive it will only cost me about £30, I shall buy this one and if a WR set does appear then I can part ex the Midland for a WR, if not I've got a BP anyway.

Front end doesn't look right compared to the Triang one, Valence is too deep and there is no front coupling!!!!!!!!!!!!!(attempt at humour).

Ian

Hi all

I've been putting money aside in my local model shop ready for this unit, so when it does arrive it will only cost me about £30, I shall buy this one and if a WR set does appear then I can part ex the Midland for a WR, if not I've got a BP anyway.

Front end doesn't look right compared to the Triang one, Valence is too deep and there is no front coupling!!!!!!!!!!!!!(attempt at humour).

Ian

And the wheels are too fine, it will never stay on the track; after all the Triang one did work!

..and it was fitted with diesel sound too (those ribbed wheels).

Stewart

I'm just annoyed that none ever did a day trip onto Southern metals.

25/4/79 an 8 car set ran Waterloo to Carmarthen via Guildford and Reading, returning via Salisbury Woking.Besides it's your train set. If one can make it up here to NER Hartlepool on a Rugby special, well away from normal operations, you could argue one made it onto SR metals for a similar event

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Will we ever get a WR set?, well given the differences between the Midland and Western coaches I would say on the face of it no. But this is model railways and it was not long ago we were saying that locos like Beyer Garratts, GWR 2-8-0/2T, Woodhead Electrics etc. would never be made, but they are here. So ruling out a WR set is premature; especially if the MR sets sell well then the WR sets are sufficiently different to justify them. My Preference would be a WR set, but I am trying desperately to keep my wallet closed to the MR set. The big test will be if they are released at Warley, I am afraid my resolve may wilt.

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the reliability question, I occasionally saw the Midland Sets, but mostly I saw the Western sets going through Didcot at speed and mighty fast they were, considering they were much less powerful than say an HST set they acquitted themselves well and one wonders what could have been if they had been developed further, sadly they were probably a little ahead of their time.

• RMweb Premium

As I think has been discussed previously, there was only one vehicle type in common between the six and eight car sets, the trailer parlour first. However, the kitchen firsts had similar bodies. The power cars were different, being three-bay seconds on the WR sets (no toilets) and the WR sets included a seven-bay motor parlour second. Each six or eight car set was made up of two identical half-sets. So the eight-car is a very different set.

Actually I am wondering if a rich and brave person will cut up a couple of 6 car sets to make the 8 car, asit cutting up the bodies and splicing them together

Hello all,

I've been watching this thread and adding a few posts, Kitmaster did the Midland BP set. But Triang did the WR power cars. So all you have to do is chop off the ends of the power cars add the nice new ends and the new running gear and you've got the WR power cars, then do some cut and shuts with the coaches and just like magic you've got a WR Blue Pullman.

It may cost you about £700 or £800 but what's that to a dedicated modeller.

OK I've put my coat on. By By.

Back on track, it's nice to see that one of the main stream Cos. has done such a nice model of this iconic train. If it sells well I can see them doing the WR sets as well. But not for a few years, maybe five!

OzzyO.

If it sells well I can see them doing the WR sets as well. But not for a few years, maybe five!

Probably a realistic assessment.

The other thing to remember is that it is in Bachmann's interest to deny the possibilty of an 8-car BP. If they announced they were doing the WR version next year, how many people would hold off getting the 6-car version? I suspect that there are many people like me would prefer the WR set but will settle for a Midland set as close-enough.

Archived