Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

also the chap with the brylcream hair who doses off doing the crossword moves seats during the film.

at 15min 30 he is eying up the blonde through the gap in the seat.

at 18in 33 he is sitting alongside her on the other side the coach in the single seat.

I believe that's what the film industry refers to as "continuity" - or in this case not. Most of the "diners" - especially baldie getting the boiled egg - would seem to have been well-chosen for their role. Like you, I first captured it on VHS many years ago, and find it is a film that rewards regular viewing - and this thread suggests we are far from alone.

I have the Bernard Mills photo here in front of me Robert and there are definitely only five BP vehicles behind D1032... granted, the shot was taken on a curve but five roofs are clearly visible against the snow on the ground. Are you sure the David Canning shot is of the same working and is the photo dated at all...? (Bearing in mind that by his own admission Canning often got the dates woefully wrong in his published material!).

If it is the same working (1ZO3, 28/12/70) then is sounds all the more curious.... and I'm not aware of a second BP working over the South Devon Mainline!

Railway Observer and Railway Magazine both reported that the down working was on 24 December 1970 and the return on 28 December. On 24 December, the set then returned ECS to Bristol (and presumably ran ECS from Bristol to Plymouth on 28 December. Railway Magazine reported the 24 December train as being from Kensington Olympia via Bristol. Both sources state that 1054 Western Governor was the pilot on 24 December but Railway Observer reported 1062 in use on 28 December whereas Railway Magazine stated 1032 (the latter appears to be correct).

Vehicles were 60090/60730/60740/60741/60731/60091 (at least on 24 December).

Looking at the Bernard Mills photo under a magnifying glass there are six vehicles. Two parlour firsts are visible in the middle and the vehicle beyond can be identified as a kitchen first by its roof, so there is a trailing power car behind that, though not easy to distintiguish in the photo. The train could not have run in normal service without two kitchen firsts as these vehicles each carried one motor bogie.

Robert - thanks for the confirmation regarding Bernard's photo. Since he and Roger Geach were good mates back then and often took photos at the same time, I'll email him and find out if he was there at Plympton on the same day ;) . You never know, either one of them may have taken more than one photograph of that particular working.

note in the film (approx 5min30)after the technician says "i wonder how those western trains are getting on" cuts to a shot of the destination board winding, note how split and perished the rubbers are already on the window, having had a few classic cars seems it was a common thing back then with window rubbers.

might not be as visible in the online video but very visibile if you've got it on DVD.

note in the film (approx 5min30)after the technician says "i wonder how those western trains are getting on" cuts to a shot of the destination board winding, note how split and perished the rubbers are already on the window, having had a few classic cars seems it was a common thing back then with window rubbers.

might not be as visible in the online video but very visibile if you've got it on DVD.

If they were built like an MGB then they were lucky to last as long as they did!

RP

• 2 months later...
Guest dubdee1000

Model Rail carries a full review of the Blue Pullman in this months issue and they seem highly impressed with it. It certainly looks a fine model, but in one of the images, there seems a distinctive seam line around the cab front/sides. Obviously this is where the revised front end is going to be fitted when the grey/blue version comes out, but to those fortunate enough to see one of these models in the flesh, is this something anyone else had noticed?

Now it's coming up to release I think it's worth sharing these snaps of the final pre-production version from when I had my hands on it a while back. The only significant differences are that the production version has a slightly purer blue colouring (this was a touch purple) with a satin sheen to the paint finish. The underframes on the production model are a little more silver/grey than the white shown on these pics.

normal_BluePullman2.jpg

normal_A1~1.jpg

normal_Side.jpg

normal_Length.jpg

normal_A2white.jpg

normal_A12.jpg

normal_A13a~0.jpg

normal_A11.jpg

normal_A3~1.jpg

normal_A3b.jpg

normal_A5~1.jpg

normal_A6~0.jpg

normal_A7~0.jpg

normal_A8.jpg

normal_A9~0.jpg

normal_BluePullman1.jpg

normal_BluePullman3.jpg

normal_BPC.jpg

Beautiful model and cracking photos, thanks for sharing them, Andy.

Personally I think the touching (well, almost touching) carriage gangways are a major step forward. I've long felt that otherwise-superb models have been let down by their passengers being expected to leap a three-foot gap between vehicles. Let's hope this becomes standard on all future coaches and multiple units.

It's been a long time coming but dare I say we've finally caught up with the quality of models available on the continent?

Cheers,

Will

Having seen a production model, I can say that they really are something else!

We formed the set up after closing on the Open Day and it had a very brief back and forth on Runswick Leamside.

It performed flawlessly on analogue, and the lights came on before it started to move.

Start scraping those pennies together, they should be in the shops by the end of the month.

BTW, the full run is sold out at Bachmann (retailers cannot re-order) and there is currently no commitment to a second run. so if you want one, make sure you have pre-ordered with your local model shop.

I can see e-bay profiteers rubbing their hands already.

Initially I was sceptical about the appeal of this model, and the price tag. But having seen it and comparing it to Hornby pullmans / Brighton Belle it is now pretty exciting, sure to be popular (More so than the supply will allow) and in my view, excellent value for money.

So now all us ECML modellers have no problem buying one. It clearly came through Stoke Summit, so next stop Kings Cross...... :D

As with the little known Sheffield - Bournemouth Pullman that ran between 1971 - 1980................running alongside "Kestrel" on south coast to Birmingham service and the few remaining Claytons transferred to EH for trip working (the SR made them work properly) - Oh and not forgetting the LW DMU's trialing on the Southampton - Newbury services............. :O

My layout is becoming increasing Southern "eclectic" rather than Southern "electric".......(see what I did there)...... :crazy: . :laugh:

So now all us ECML modellers have no problem buying one. It clearly came through Stoke Summit, so next stop Kings Cross...... :D

Well they were mooted for use as a Yorkshire Pullman service so you don't have to agonise too much. :)

Personally I think the touching (well, almost touching) carriage gangways are a major step forward.

Cheers,

Will

Agreed - Although I do hope the next step forward for British RTR is a more elegant coupling solution, especially for multiple units - (If youve ever seen japanese N gauge EMU models you'll know what I mean)

tfn

Jon

Archived