Β 

Plastic handrails - how do you get paint to stick..?!?

Okay, another dumbo question from yours truly...

Β 

I have a Kato Wisconsin Central loco which was given to me sans handrails... I fitted a set that were yellow plastic, but sprayed them with primer first, then used enamel (actually Precision EWS Red) to get them to match the body... these (both enamel & primer) have started to flake off especially where I might have caught & flexed the handrails.

As I have other Kato locos in the paintshop, with handrails again needing to be painted, how do I stop this flaking from happening? Put another way -how do I get the paint to stick?!?

Any/all advice gratefully received.....

The other stuff to try is the new 'Micro Prep' product that Microscale have recently launched. The blurb accompanying the launch made great play on how it allows delrin / "engineeering plastics" to be glued / painted.

Β 

I got some from Model Junction but haven't had call to use it yet

Β 

Dan Spalding

Hi Jordan,

Β 

I have read that the handrails could also be sand/shot/grit blasted using baking powder in one of the small grit blasting guns available throughout ebay. I've got one, but have not had chance to try it out. They seem to be quite cheap, but you will probably need a compressor to power it. The advantage of grit blasting is you don't have too many layers of undercoat/paint making the already overscale handrails even more overscale.

Β 

Jez

The "best" way is actually to use paint for Lexan R/C bodys!

I use Pactra brand myself, and it sticks like nothing else. And as it is made for flexing; no flaking!

Try it, you might like it.

Β 

Β 

Graff is dead on with this piece of advice. I use Pactra also and it is the very best handrail paint available.

Β 

Cheers, Tony

The "best" way is actually to use paint for Lexan R/C bodys!

I use Pactra brand myself, and it sticks like nothing else. And as it is made for flexing; no flaking!

Try it, you might like it.

Β 

If you're struggling to find Pactra in the UK (and I guess the RC shops might sell it) Tamiya do a spray designed for their polycarbonate RC shells which is reputed to work, although i haven't tried it myself.

Β 

If you're struggling to find Pactra in the UK .....

Yeah, I was wondering about that, when I Googled Pactra and Testor's website came up. ... the best products are usually from the US, but it can be very difficult to get them over here, especially solvent-based paints..... :(

Thanks for the link Dan! Not sure what colour in the Motorsport world would match Wisconsin Central maroon... but as the other locos that I will need to paint the handrails use Tamiya Blue, then the best bet for them would most likely be the Tamiya Polycarbonate paint, which should match exactly... :scratchhead:

Tamiya also makes paint for R/C polycarbonate bodies that sticks well.

Β 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a product that I buy over here in an auto parts store called Adhesion Promoter. Comes in a rattle can and is used to prep flexible auto bumpers. It will improve paint sticking pretty dramatically but give the handrail enough bend and the paint will flake. I need to get a grit blaster and try that...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived