Β 

Sweethome Alabama at Newcastle Exhibition

Hi Jon

The layout looks really great in these photos. I was just wondering was the canopied Southern wharehouse a kit,(/bash) or a scratchbuild as its a fine looking model.

Β 

Thanks Dave. The front of the freight house is made from DPM parts, the ends are from Walthers brick sheet, the steps are Langley and the roof, ventilation and lift housing are made from Wills sheet, so bits of all sorts

Β 

IMG_5886.JPG

Β 

Β 

the small window vents are from Unit Models (Keighley)

Β 

Jon

They remind me of the vultures in Walt Disney's Jungle Book.... :D

Β 

How are they made, Jack?

Β 

Jordan, they are individually sculpted in Milliput superfine white, over a loop of fine wire, the bottom of which forms the legs/attachments to the branch. The flying one, which I havent shown, is made from a metal tray that held meat from a supermarket ( a rigid aluminium foil) from which the wings abd tail are cut in one piece, then the wing tip feathers and tail feathers are cut. The wingtips are bent upwards, and then this is Araldited to a piece of wire running across from wingtip to wingtip and extending out to one side depending which way the bird is flying.. The body top and bottom, underside of wings, and neck/beak, are done in Miliput and pressed into place. I use a fine point sculpting tool to pick at the body, creating the "feathers". The birds are sized against an HO figure, and are about a 1 cm in body size (40") and about 2.4cm across wingtips (7 ft) - those Eagles are big! Females are bigger than males in common with many raptors. The dead tree is made from a couple of twigs from the garden, and microwaved for 1 minute on full power

These are a throwback to the days when I made wargaming dragons - if anyone is interested in a demo I'll try to do one.

Archived