Sweethome Alabama at Newcastle Exhibition

Hi,

I went along to the Newcastle exhibition today and met with fellow RMWebbers, master modeller Jon Grant and guest engineer, Jack (Shortliner) who had

travelled from the most northerly UK outpost of US model railroading, somewhere in the highlands of Scotland. For me a mere 30 minute drive.

Great to meet the guys and have a chat as Jack got to grips with the intricacies of switching Sweethome Alabama

The layout is absolutely superb, the trees in particular, are the best I've seen, and the trains aren't bad either!

With Jon's permission, I took a few pics which I'd like to share with you.

If you get a chance, go along on Sunday and support the guys.

post-7898-0-72710500-1321121412_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-50350500-1321121473_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-11533300-1321121527_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-18738200-1321121573_thumb.jpg

I'll post the rest of the pics tomorrow,

regards,

Mal

post-7898-0-05150300-1321121627_thumb.jpg

Great shots of a beautiful layout, Mal.

Can I just add that "USA & Canadian Railroads" is very much open - I'm trying to get it higher visibility rather than being bunged in with some marginal "Special Interest"'s.

Help always appreciated!

Cheers, you guys, Pete.

Great photos Mal.

A few more trees sprang up overnight as did some corn stalks near the silos. I also got a redwood tree because Shortliner Jack probised to make me a couple of bald eagles - one flying and one on the erie.

Heres a seelection of my photos from today and a link to the rest

jack at the helm

IMG_08581.JPG

IMG_08612.JPG

IMG_08592.JPG

IMG_08562.JPG

Now the layout has been operated intensively in an exhibition environment, I now want to extend the scenery by 8 feet- 4ft to the right to put a lumber mill in front of the east fiddle yard, and another 4ft to the left, taking the track over a tree-lined gorge on a girder bridge. My target for the upgrade will be next June

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. I'm not normally a fan of 'overseas' models (really sorry), however I have just this Saturday morning learnt the basic lead guitar riff to Sweet Home Alabama! So, as I now have seen some super pictures of the 'actual' place, I have to say that

this layout looks fantastic; so much atmosphere in a small space.

I think you should take a CD or phone app. & play the intro riff to S H A as the layout starts up at any show you are at (nobody from the PRA will notice I'm sure)!!

Hope you get to Donny or York sometime.

Phil @ 36E

Hi Jon,

I also managed a little video on Saturday and managed to edit out the overscale 'hand of Jon' removing the overscale 20ft cat hair from

the BN geep ;)

Hope you like the video and again all I can say is SHA is a real inspiration, can't wait to see the extended layout.

http://youtu.be/KLL_O4Od1os

regards,

Mal

Thanks Jon,

My camera is a Fujifilm S1730 bought at ASDA (Walmart) for only £99.00 ($160.00). It offers Widescreen HD video and decent pics also in Widescreen.

The only problem is a faint clicking sound on the video HD soundtrack. At first I thought it was simply the sound of boxcar wheels on the track!

I think ASDA are currently selling an updated version for £120.00.

regards,

Mal

Stunning scenic work, as has been said - and seen on here before of course!! I like how the track curves so much - nothing parallel to the baseboard edge at all!

Can I ask, is the Boxcar in this picture RTR or a Repaint?

post-7898-0-96161600-1321182427_thumb.jpg

I know{think?} it's an Ex-I.P.D Valley & Seletz Car as seen here on another forum:-

http://www.the-gauge...php?f=35&t=4639

I've seen cars like this in Progressive Rail trains, so would like to get hold of one or two... ;)

I guess these should probably be in the "Workbench" thread,but since they will be heading south to Alabama I'll put them on here. I volunteered to produce a Bald-headed Eagle for the layout and have actually made 1 flying(not shown), and 3½ sitting (the ½ is a chick in the nest) - the proof (if such were needed), that Shortliner has finally gone round the twist! I hope Jon will forgive me for having built the nest in a "dead" tree - which wasn't part of the brief! Now he has to find somewhere to put them!

Anyway, on with the pictures.......

post-6688-0-68522700-1321553078.jpg

post-6688-0-22426600-1321553097.jpg

post-6688-0-65365500-1321553116.jpg

post-6688-0-19426600-1321553138.jpg

Just hope Jon likes them!

Can I ask, is the Boxcar in this picture RTR or a Repaint?

The boxcar is an E&C Shops 50ft hi-cube and came as lettered but in a colour resembling BN cascade green. A check on Railroad Picture Archives showed the car as a much lighter green, so I mixed flat green with white acrylic and repainted the car.

MDW%209016.jpg

Once dry, I scratched off the paint over the lettering and totem using a fibreglass pencil then weathered it all down. I still have the steps to add

MDW.jpg

Jon

Yes they are, IIRC there's a string of relatively short-lived companies that E&C was part of, I think the most recent was called 'Huberts' although i'm not sure whether that particular tooling reappeared from that name (some did). They did some good stuff over the years, that high cube, some nice modern gons, and some of the rarer modern coal gon designs (not just another Bethgon!)

Cracking job on the faded/washed out colour there Jon.

Archived