The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

There are deffo more Finches around this year, especially Green. Maybe they are recovering from that horrible virus that was wiping them out.

Horse, do you prefer Great Tits or Blue Tits? I prefer Long Tailed.

Quack 

• Like 1

And those are rats with tails! "Doris, get the smoker out, we dine tonight!" :jester:

Where's SHMD? He's our resident rodent expert! :jester:

....Horse, do you prefer Great Tits or Blue Tits? I prefer Long Tailed.

Believe me, I'm not fussy.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Aft'noon all,

A little Springtime wildlife action from the Staffs Moorlands in this clip. Starting with bullfinch and goldfinch enjoying sunflower hearts, then a grass snake wrestling to swallow a toad whole in our local canal, then damsel fly, young great tit in the garden and young sparrow on the water bowl

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

That's it: I'm calling Environmental Health.

No, just get a Peregrine Falcon.

In London my wife helped set up a Peregrine Falcon watching station at Tate Modern each year, The adults would take the newly fledged chicks to Tate and use the old powerstation chimney as a roost (It's cliff face to them) from there they would set off teaching the young how to hunt and catch prey, They would have Binoculars and telescopes trained on the roost and explain to workers and tourists just how close they were to nature even in a big city.

They knew when to set up one year when the director of Tate called the office and said "They're here, half a dead pigeon just landed outside the gallery entrance"

They received a lot of help and goodwill in London when "officials" realised what the Peregrines were eating.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Peregrine Falcons have returned to Chichester Cathedral this year.  Going to maximum zoom on the digital camera caught them up the spire a couple of weeks back:

post-6910-0-91322100-1366975684_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-35076100-1366975696_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-56784300-1366975705_thumb.jpg

Bit of a scandal this year apparently, the female who has returned is the same one as previous years but she has ditched her old fella and got a new man in the nest!!!

• Like 3

...Bit of a scandal this year apparently, the female who has returned is the same one as previous years but she has ditched her old fella and got a new man in the nest!!!

I can see the headline now:

"Threesome Birds In Love Nest Shock"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something that seems to have changed in our and our neighbours gardens is that the Jackdaws seem to have been replaved with Crows, which the smaller birds are not particularly happy with.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Saw a bird creeping in and around the oak tree this morning.

I guess it was a Tree Creeper....certainly looked like one.

Regards

Richard

The 'logic' (not) of birding means it was probably something else!! Nevertheless, nice one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I was de-turfing a section of lawn and was soon joined by two robins. both of whom were quite happy to sit on the top of the wheely bin and await the exposure of any suitable grubs, insects or worms.

I really should take the camera out with me and take a few pictures (of the birds not the de-turfing)

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

Whilst we've lost most of our small birds over the last 2 years and they've been replaced by 'Flying Rats' and magpies we are starting to see a few less common birds in the garden.  the best so far is a female Blackcap who has made appearances three days running this week.

Yes! A couple of blue tits have decided to populate the bird box hanging on our shed. I put it up last year but there was no sign of life. This couple have obviously decided it will do! I see them flying in and out at various times, presumably making a nest.

Well they call Pigeons "Rats with wings".......

Have you listened to the calls wood pigeons and collared doves make? One says, 'Yer b***ard! Yer b***ard!' and the other says, 'Yer stupid b***er! Yer stupid b***er!'

Can't remember which is which though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Welsh mountains are obviously more desirable than 36E! You lucky chappy.

On Radio 4 yesterday I heard some chap doing a piece form Balcombe Station (Brighton Line). In the background I heard a Cirl Bunting. Now this is the second time I've heard one of these in the last two weeks. One I mentioned on here and saw it too (was at Rufford Abbey, Nottinghamshire) and then this one (which of course was on the radio). I've been told by those that 'think they know' and 'must therefore be right' that I just can't possibly have heard this bird. It is just not possible as it only ever appears in Devon. Well I disagree and I am also certain that I have heard this bird and have confirmed its' song on the RSPB website; unmistakable. I'm up for suggesting that this year's unusual weather and winds have created some unusual bird positioning. There, I've said it.

Quack