The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Back again this year are 'our' blackbirds. They walk across the lawn ahead of me and are not phased by us one bit. I hand-fed one of the chicks a few years ago after a cat got one of the parents. This is Mr. & Mrs Blackbird this afternoon.....

post-6680-0-78328600-1431631593.jpg

post-6680-0-92669200-1431631596.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Back again this year are 'our' blackbirds. They walk across the lawn ahead of me and are not phased by us one bit. I hand-fed one of the chicks a few years ago after a cat got one of the parents. This is Mr. & Mrs Blackbird this afternoon.....

attachicon.gifWEB Blackbird A.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Blackbird B.jpg

You say "Back Again".

Do you mean they are only around certain times of year? We have Blackbirds all the time.

There was a pair of Goldfinches today collecting nest material (mainly Wood Pigeon down) in the back garden. Must be nesting nearby.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

You say "Back Again".

Do you mean they are only around certain times of year? We have Blackbirds all the time.

We have always assumed they beggared off to warmer climes at the end of autumn, but we haven't read up on birds. They appear in the Spring from who knows where.

• RMweb Premium

Blackbirds tend to be territorial during the breeding season but at other times of the year can roam far and wide. Up to a couple of years ago I had a male blackbird frequently visiting my garden at this time of year, it was easy to see that it was the same bird as he had one grey wing feather. He visited my garden over a period of four or five years, I don't know how long they live for so I presume he died or grew to old to defend his territory.

• Like 1

I do know Seagulls live for around 8 years, possibly more. Starting in 1990 I used to feed one on the local beach by throwing bread into the air. He was very adept at beating all the other seagulls to the bread, as he only had one leg and did not like landing. They are quite intelligent and he knew my car. I would park up on the pebbles and sprint to the railway bridge to photograph a train and he would see me even if he was bobbing up and down on the sea with loads of other gulls and fly to me. Watching through the seasons showed his black head gradually turned to a black eyebrow and then a totally white head before starting all over the following year.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I think blackbirds migrate here from Europe if winters are harsh over there and the ground is solid for weeks on end. Whether some decide to stay I don't know, but they all seem to have perennial fights amongst the males when they venture into another territory.

Blackbirds are remarkably tolerant of humans. I can sit outside and they will continue to search for insects etc. on the grass only a few feet away, but as soon as they start to make warning noises I can guarantee that next door's cat is somewhere in the vicinity, but probably much further away than I am.

I find it comforting that despite my relative vast size compared to theirs, they do not think of me as any kind of threat.

• Like 2

Blackbirds are remarkably tolerant of humans. I can sit outside and they will continue to search for insects etc. on the grass only a few feet away, but as soon as they start to make warning noises I can guarantee that next door's cat is somewhere in the vicinity, but probably much further away than I am.

I think that is the trick to get them feeling settled.....I make a whistling sound like a bird and they come into the garden. I continue this whistling and they settle down to eating whatever I put out for them. I've tried it elsewhere and it has a calming effect on them.

This is just a theory on my part, and only applies to southern Britain, but I wonder if yesterday's rain, cold and strong wind has decimated this year's Starling broods?

I only say this because two days ago I sat in the back garden and adult Starlings were collecting food for nestlings almost non-stop then flying off with beaks crammed with the stuff.

However, today I notice that only a few adults are bothering with this, and the rest are just feeding themselves. Normally, if the juveniles had fledged they would be following the adults everywhere and squawking non-stop for food, but although there were a few doing that on Monday and Tuesday, there have been none today.

I believe that the blackbirds we see in our gardens in the winter are not the ones that are there in the spring and summer - at least that's what Springwatch taught me - and certainly the male in our garden over winter with some white feathers has gone and has been replaced by another male - in fact several at once a while back

.....on lovely sunny mornings such as the one that today has matured into, I potter around the garden sweeping the bark chippings back into their rightful places, carry out a little weeding, ensure that the various water sources (a number of plant pot saucers, water bowls etc) are cleaned out and contain some fresh water for the birds....before taking a bottle of beer or two down to the bottom of the garden to enjoy with a sandwich for lunch. Today a couple of blackbirds were quick to discover the replenished water sources and had a high old time resting in the shallow, warm water and flicking their wings to bathe....their song was delightful to listen to.

Good range of visitors to the garden for breakfast just now too. Nice to see regular bullfinch, greenfinch and chaffinch appearances amongst the more common goldfinch, blackbird, robin, dunnock, collared dove, jackdaw, starling, sparrow, pigeon, redpoll sightings. 

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the blackbirds we see in our gardens in the winter are not the ones that are there in the spring and summer - at least that's what Springwatch taught me - and certainly the male in our garden over winter with some white feathers has gone and has been replaced by another male - in fact several at once a while back

Both my bird books tell me UK Blackbirds are fully resident and breed in the UK but we do get winter visitors and passage visitors from the Northern European populations which move south in the winter.

Keith

I'm no bird expert but I recognise sparrows, blackbirds, crows, magpie's, pigeons and doves in our garden. Also seagulls although they land on our 'outer' lawn which is easier for them to take off again. One never sees seagulls in trees of course but they are adapting and reside on the slender stems of TV aerials.

• RMweb Gold

I'm no bird expert but I recognise ...........seagulls

I get told off by Lady CPB when I say Seagull. "There is no such thing" she says. it's either a - 

Black backed gull

Blackheaded gull

Herring gull

etc etc

I just tell her my tinnitus has kicked in and I can't hear her

• RMweb Premium

Well, the LNER and the GWR both had locos called "Seagull". Proof enough for me that seagulls exist! ;)

Probably at the time, Gulls were almost exclusively coastal and near coastal and probably around large lakes (lake District size) and reservoirs. Thus 'sea Gulls'.

Then they discovered rubbish tips, disused industrial pits full of water and fields full of wigglers after plowing. There was less competition for food and good nesting so they were not daft.

It might be interesting to see if certain Gulls have adapted to living inland (e.g Black Headed)  in the last 60/100 years or so; I feel sure they have.

There are members of the Gull 'family' that never come inland intentionally.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I remember when sixty or so years ago when I went to visit my grandparents in St. Leonards near Hastings the gulls were very raucous. Now when I visit coastal resorts I would not know there were any gulls present.

• RMweb Premium

I remember when sixty or so years ago when I went to visit my grandparents in St. Leonards near Hastings the gulls were very raucous. Now when I visit coastal resorts I would not know there were any gulls present.

Mixed blessings there. Many resorts do not want gulls anywhere and have 'strategies' to deal with them! Fewer Gulls means less mess and annoyed tourists but also means a true seaside item has 'gone missing'.

P

Mixed blessings there. Many resorts do not want gulls anywhere and have 'strategies' to deal with them! Fewer Gulls means less mess and annoyed tourists but also means a true seaside item has 'gone missing'.

P

There are gulls, and there are 'winged rats' which is the common name in Dorset sea-side towns for the vicious thief known as the Herring Gull!!

( Not to be confused with the 'Bushy-tailed rat', - the Grey Squirrel).

But on a more pleasant theme ( and in keeping with the op), I am pleased to report the return of both Bull, and Gold Finches after a couple of years absence.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Paul, you are correct. However humans are mostly  responsible for the modified behaviour of the Herring Gull. First we nicked all their Herring and now we walk around scoffing very attractive fodder and also leave loads of it lying around for them to scavange. Maybe our species is the pest?

Phil

• Like 1

Nice pictures but:

I try and keep them out of my garden as they outcompete the smaller birds for food.

They are just too greedy.

Keith

They appear greedy and domineering, but if you provide enough variety of food then the smaller birds will get a look in at the feeders which starlings do not bother with.

You could also try buying some fine wire from a garden centre. Then cut sections of it and make it into a dome shape by twisting pieces around each other. Attach the dome to a feed tray and although the starlings might try to find their way through the gaps in the wire, they will soon get fed up and move to easier pickings.

This will help the small birds to become more confident that there will be less competition, and the beauty of making the 'dome' out of wire yourself is that you can vary the size and spacings of the access holes to those which exclude various bigger birds.

• Like 1

Sitting out in the garden yesterday having a coffee and watching the comings and goings at the birdtable when all hell broke lose. Then realised that a Sparrowhawk had landed on the fence, first we'd seen in the garden for a long time. Eyed the place up then cleared off.

We seem to have acquired a pair of Dunnocks from somewhere and there have been a few Sparrows around. They were very common when we moved in here 30 odd years ago but been noticeably absent for a long time along with Starlings which we never see round here now.

If anyone from the Basingstoke/Winchester area is looking in are there red Kites in that area ? On the train Fri heading south saw a couple of V tailed raptors.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

"Sitting out in the garden yesterday having a coffee and watching the comings and goings at the birdtable when all hell broke lose. Then realised that a Sparrowhawk had landed on the fence, first we'd seen in the garden for a long time. Eyed the place up then cleared off."

That's interesting.  Our sparrowhawk produces an eerie silence amongst the prey birds.