The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Absolutely delighted to see a treecreeper in my "local patch" this afternoon.  They used to be fairly common (but never that easy to see), until a wet spring three years ago(?) when they disappeared.  This was my first sighting since then - a celebration is called for!

I also enjoyed watching a pair of nuthatches foraging and tapping at the tree bark like miniature woodpeckers.  They've nested there in previous years - let's hope they do so again this year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We had a lesser redpoll (according to rspb website) in the garden yesterday never seen one here before. Are they quite rare?

We are very lucky here in north Norfolk with the amount of different species we get on the feeders.

An unexpected bonus of putting food out we have a semi tame wood mouse which sits by the side of a pond eating and just looks at us. When we had a cold snap I was doing some modeling in the shed only to find him sitting on a shelf looking at me!

....common here December to June Russ but we have friends living 10 miles away who have never seen one so choosy seems to sum them up...there are migratory and resident flocks. Bird guide shows Norfolk as the same as here.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

If I stretch my garden to near Barnsley (Wentworth 'Castle') I can tell you about the fantasic Nuthatch I heard calling and then saw for a good half hour yesterday lunchtime. I've seen them before but never heard the call. Lovely and very loud. After about twenty minutes another male (presumably) turned up and started competing!!!!!

At home we now have a 'new' single, male Chaffy that's turned up this week.

Phil

• Like 1

Bird seed and nuts hanging out in open view of birds for the last week. The hanging stand is situated in an open part of the garden, clear lines of sight so approaching cate can be seen. Trees within a few feet.

No visitors yet. Not even a dicky bird!

....we use the covered bird table with reduced access approach.....stiff nylon garden mesh sides with gaps big enough for a collared dove but not a pigeon. The pigeons never have mastered eating at the table...they're just not nimble enough to get into it. The only food which pigeons eat in our garden is windfalls from other birds feeding.

Dave 

Bird seed and nuts hanging out in open view of birds for the last week. The hanging stand is situated in an open part of the garden, clear lines of sight so approaching cate can be seen. Trees within a few feet.

....maybe your neighbours are offering better nosh (higher calorific value)...birds aren't daft.....try something like niger seed or sunflower hearts but only put out a small amount to begin with as it takes a while for them to accept a new feeding area and your seed can go off in the meantime.

Dave

Don't give up hope just yet.

I know that a week seems a long time, but you may not be aware of just how much regular food has been put out in other gardens over a period of many years, which the birds are used to.

Birds appear to be creatures of habit, and they seem naturally suspicious of anything new - even if it is full of food.

I bought a new circular shaped fat ball feeder which held about 12 fat balls as against my old vertical one's 4. The birds virtually ignored it for about 10 days, even though they had been feeding from the old one at very regular intervals, and there are other well used seed and nut feeders nearby in the garden.

Our Blackbird population has been reduced by one - we were visited by a Mr Sparrow-hawk this morning , who spent around an hour despatching, plucking and eating  on the patio right outside the kitchen window - guess who got the job of clearing up the pile of feathers? 

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Don't give up hope just yet.

I know that a week seems a long time, but you may not be aware of just how much regular food has been put out in other gardens over a period of many years, which the birds are used to.

Birds appear to be creatures of habit, and they seem naturally suspicious of anything new - even if it is full of food.

I bought a new circular shaped fat ball feeder which held about 12 fat balls as against my old vertical one's 4. The birds virtually ignored it for about 10 days, even though they had been feeding from the old one at very regular intervals, and there are other well used seed and nut feeders nearby in the garden.

For some reason they will accept something quickly in one position and not somewhere else.

I put a new fat ball feeder* up last Tuesday, by Saturday it was being used, including by a Blackcap (a new bird to our garden!)

Since then all sorts of Tits have been regularly using it.

I had fat balls close to other feeders in another part of the garden and they were totally ignored! The fat balls became rancid and had to be dumped.

* I put a proper fat ball container inside a squirrel-proof cage. (Leaving them in plastic nets is not recommended).

The Moorhen which was a regular in our garden since October hasn't been seen since 12th February. Strangely others which were in the countryside around have also disappeared.

Keith

....we found that an entire container of fat balls had to be thrown away because the birds wouldn't eat them....ditto fat in coconut shells from Wilko. For some reason the fat in coconut shells from Home Bargains is eaten in quick order....therefore we only buy them from there.

Choosy birds

Dave

• RMweb Gold

....we found that an entire container of fat balls had to be thrown away because the birds wouldn't eat them....ditto fat in coconut shells from Wilko. For some reason the fat in coconut shells from Home Bargains is eaten in quick order....therefore we only buy them from there.

Choosy birds

Dave

Are these different fat balls in the same feeding place or a slightly different location ?

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing how picky wild animals can be, we have a pair of rescued hedgehogs and they flatly refuse to eat whiskers chicken cat food but love Felix. We found this the opposite way round when we were feeding a wild one in our old garden in sheringham

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

....identical Chris....hanging from the same hook.

Dave

Thats unusual, There must of been something about them they didn't like,  can't think what though ?

We get ours from Fortnum & Masons, an altogether better class of tit uses them.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have six nesting boxes scattered around my Devon garden - been there for five years with no occupants.

First one occupied this year with a pair of (I think) blue tits, they were making a hell of a racket in it earlier nest building. A little pleased that spring is here.

Neil

Goldfinches eh? Large flock about 200 yards from home, can almost guarantee seeing them if you know where to look. Very rarely in our garden though.

Thats unusual, There must of been something about them they didn't like,  can't think what though ?

We get ours from Fortnum & Masons, an altogether better class of tit uses them.......

FiL uses a mixed seed in his feeder, and his visitors seem to like it. Three miles away and with a somewhat larger range of species, but still complete overlap of the common visitors, and mixed seed results in large scale dumping on the ground to get at the preferred content. We have to run single seed feeders only.

Also had to put the peanut dispenser on a very thin branch where a badger cannot venture in its tree climbing exploits. They haven't worked out 'chew throught the branch' yet, so no talking to badgers and giving them ideas please...

• Like 2

Where have all our garden birds gone?

Well one of them, namely Mr Starling of this Parish, has just seen fit to come down my log burner flue and take up residence in the top part of the fire, I wondered what the noise was. - A quick release of the chimey cleaning door and the little fellow flew out into the living room, and after a few failed attempts to fly through closed windows, managed to find the open one and flew away.

All I have to do now is clean up the soot smuts!

I can tell spring is well on the way. We've had visits from sparrows blue and great tits, goldfinches and a robin as well as the usual Mr and Mrs Blackbird and pigeons. The parakeets have inspected the cherry blossom and found it wanting, and the magpies patrol the area, fighting over chimney put vantage points. Meanwhile the crows keep a crafy eye on goings on from afar. No sign yet of raptors on the top of the Marlowe Building yet, a little early in the year for that.

• Like 1