The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Yes, as we all probably know, the poor Greenfinch has been decimated by a virus. Can't remember the name of said bug. Have hardly seen Greens any in 36E for around 4 years. Other finches seem to be doing OK, but there has also been a decline in Chaffies around here too.

I'm guilty of not cleaning my feeders frequently enough and that's how bird virus spreads. I'm told that Squirrels can carry germs as well. Fortunately we do not have squirrels in our area.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Our chaffinches are doing particularly well this year and we had more green finches in the summer than for a long time. The green finches fly off somewhere for the winter. We are very low on coal tits this winter, possibly because they took so many hits from the sparrow hawk last year.

Feeders encrusted with the usual suspects this morning following stocking with four types of food.

(Grease balls, suet pills, sunflowers, meal worms and bread - sorry, that's five.).

Long tailed tits, Chaffinches, Blue tits, Coal tits, Nuthatch, Great tits, Dunnocks, Blackbirds, Robins, Collared doves, Male bullfinch, Jackdaw and I've probably missed others.

Not seen GS Woodpeckers for a few days.

Some are spending more time squabbling than eating.

Edit: Forgot House Sparrows.

Edited by DDolfelin

I keep squirrels off the bird food by liberally spreading it with chilli powder. The squirrels hate it, and the birds aren't affected by it.

Yes, I have a pole feeder with lots of hooks, and I paint Hot chilli sauce around the base of the pole. It certainly does deter squirrels and also the occasional brown rat that we get trying to climb it.

I took this photograph at Lausanne station, Switzerland, just after Christmas.

post-6699-0-53073500-1420455725.jpg 

Someone on the bench - not me - is chucking small crumbs at the sparrows.  Note the pigeon trying to muscle in.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The killer Greenfinch disease is Trichomonosis, a microscopic parasite. If it's suspected (i.e you see dead birds or suspected diseased birds) RSPB recommends temporarily ceasing feeding, or at the very least cleaning of feeders.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/health/sickbirds/greenfinches.aspx

They are still present in South Devon, and their colours are already intensifying in preparation for the spring.

I've also noticed a lower number of coal tits, and had thought they'd completely vanished but saw a solitary one in the garden between Xmas and the New Year.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

The killer Greenfinch disease is Trichomonosis, a microscopic parasite. If it's suspected (i.e you see dead birds or suspected diseased birds) RSPB recommends temporarily ceasing feeding, or at the very least cleaning of feeders.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/health/sickbirds/greenfinches.aspx

They are still present in South Devon, and their colours are already intensifying in preparation for the spring.

I've also noticed a lower number of coal tits, and had thought they'd completely vanished but saw a solitary one in the garden between Xmas and the New Year.

Neil

Thanks Neil. That's really useful.

Talking of colour, yesterday a really beautiful male Goldfinch turned up briefly, with a couple of others. He was stunning with bright white and vivid red/yellow markings. Best looking bird I've seen this year.......... the other two were quite grey in comparison.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Another sign of a so far easy winter here is that my local starling murmuration over my part of town is much smaller this year. Flys over around 1615 each evening before joining up with the Penrose Estate flock before settling in the woods of the estate near Loe pool.

• Like 1

Most of the regulars have visited today; chaffinches, green finches, our resident flock of about 40 goldfinches, blue tits, great tits, coal tits and a few dunnocks.  This morning the nut hatch visited and yesterday a couple of long tailed tits.

• Like 2

The starling murmurations settle on Teignmouth pier, but tonight on the news it was announced that bird scaring procedures are being carried out to scare away gulls that are 'poohing' in the sea and therefore threatening the sea water quality.

What next?  Haven't a plethora of wildlife been 'poohing' in our seas for many a millenia?

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

Teignmouth Town Beach may be declared unfit for swimmers next summer if clean-up measures to tackle pigeon poo don't work.

The beach is expected to fail stricter new standards for water cleanliness in May, which means signs advising against bathing would need to be displayed.

One of the main reasons for the poor water quality is bacteria from pigeon and seagull droppings, which contribute towards 75 per cent of pollution in the bathing waters.

In a bid to rectify the situation, Teignbridge Council is fitting a bird scarer under the town's pier to try to stop pigeons from roosting under the iconic jetty. The Brenner, family who own the pier, are providing access and the electricity supply and will help monitor bird numbers and how effective the device is.

Bird scarers are harmless devices which use the sounds of other birds to discourage seagulls or pigeons from coming inland and roosting.

The Environment Agency has lent Teignbridge a scarer which emits different bird distress calls.

The month-long trial is starting tomorrow during daytime hours as part of the council's Love Your Beach campaign which encourages people to protect the beach and it waters.

It is hoped the trial will show how much of an impact pigeon and seagull dropping has on water quality.

Pier director, Lucie Cooper, said: "We understand the environmental issues and forthcoming EU regulation changes regarding bathing water quality and as a popular seaside resort, tourism would suffer if the beach were affected by the classification. We wholly support the initiative to try to dissuade the pigeons from roosting under the pier, reducing the amount of bacteria which enters the sea.

"We have tested alternative measures with little success over the years, but maybe the installation of a pigeon 'scarer' will bring a more positive outcome."

Cllr George Gribble, the council's executive spokesman for communities, recreation and leisure, said: "We are doing lots of things to help improve the bathing water quality for Teignmouth Town Beach and we hope this trial will provide us with more information about what impact the nesting birds are having and what else we can all do to prevent it happening."

Love Your Beach work has included beach cleans, business forums, community events, poster and leaflet campaigns and investigating and preventing pollution sources from entering the River Teign and estuary.

Teignbridge and Teignmouth councillor David Cox, an action group member, said: "This is very important issue for Teignmouth, so naturally I'm very pleased we are installing this device. We need to get to the bottom of why Teignmouth beach water quality performs so badly in comparison with other similar areas."".

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Bird-scarer-bid-beat-water-pollution/story-25788253-detail/story.html#ixzz3O8af3MGd 

Follow us: @TQHeraldExpress on Twitter | theheraldexpress on Facebook

• Like 2

Maybe an avian researcher has decided that the small amount of pigeon pooh is much more toxic than the greater amount of pooh from roosting starlings. Also that the supply of pooh from Teignmouths resident gulls and cormorants stays clear of the swimming areas. Perhaps (Australian style) we will have netted beach swimming enclosures that keep bird pooh out.

The starling murmurations settle on Teignmouth pier, but tonight on the news it was announced that bird scaring procedures are being carried out to scare away gulls that are 'poohing' in the sea and therefore threatening the sea water quality.

What next?  Haven't a plethora of wildlife been 'poohing' in our seas for many a millenia?

Fish wee and pooh in the sea, thats why I only drink, beer, wine and sprits. Hic!

• RMweb Premium

The good news will be that the sea will be pigeon pooh free (and drinkable) but the pavements will be full of crap from starlings and pigeons permanently circling from a bird scarer.

Don't get me started about 'crap' on pavements and not from birds........sorry!

P

• RMweb Gold

Went to rugby match in Cardiff today

En route this rather dapper chap seemed very happy to pose for a photo - taken from no more than 5 yards away!

post-7138-0-47583000-1420931688.jpg

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 10