The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Just moving house and have now inherited a garden stuffed with birds.  This fellow caught my eye but I am not sure what he/she is:

post-6910-0-74266300-1374847386_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Young female Blackbird.

So young it's still showing a yellow gape.  Excellent picture, John.  I'm looking forward to what else you're bird-stuffed garden can turn up.

lyndonsdad1, if you had 12 tree sparrows in your garden you were doing very well indeed as generally they are rare.

• RMweb Gold

if you had 12 tree sparrows in your garden you were doing very well indeed as generally they are rare.

Sparrows nest in the bushes in my next-door neighbour's garden. They fly around mob-handed and make a lot of noise. I see dozens of them in my garden regularly, along with dozens of starlings, but only a few blackbirds and robins. Of course, I put food out for them, to encourage them.

• RMweb Premium

The house sparrows in our 'new' garden many years ago were responsible for my taking more of an interest in birds and their behaviour. Some of 'our' flock are on their second brood already. They are creatures of 'habit' and can be very entertaining, especially when they have their afternoon squabble.

P

Noticed that the small birds were trying, without success, to catch Large Whites flitting about the Lavender.

I thought I'd get a picture of one.

Out of 20+ shots, this is one of only two which includes a recognisable butterfly!

Next time I'll use a net and a pin.

post-7041-0-79157400-1375371935_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Last night a kestrel visited us to devour a vole on our lawn. I got the camera but she was too shy and flew off with her food. I hope to get a shot another time as I seem to remember that kestrels return once they have a killing / eating site.