The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Yup, your fiancee is quite right, a dunnock. This species used to be called a hedge sparrow but as it's not a sparrow (look at that sharp little beak!) "dunnock" is now accepted. Dunnocks have interesting sex-lives!

Chaz

If you have the chance, watch the 'courting' wing flapping (next season perhaps?)

P

If you have the chance, watch the 'courting' wing flapping (next season perhaps?)

P

Oh, yes. We had three (or maybe four it was difficult to tell) dunnocks using our garden when they were "on the pull" in the spring. So we saw rather a lot of wing fluttering and posturing - what my wife calls "Look at me, I'm gorgeous". Often they would perch on the fences to show off, at other times they seem to stick to ground level, especially under the bird feeders where they feast on the food other birds drop.

Chaz

• Like 1

Hi, My other half who breeds Cockatiels (started by accident!) likes to put stuff out for the wild birds and she's got me out with the tele-lens and the good camera to take shots like these.

post-10324-0-64157400-1373653367.jpg

Mother and baby

post-10324-0-32960500-1373653402_thumb.jpg

Then this big buxxer arrived.

post-10324-0-51892300-1373653447.jpg

And the wee ones retired to the fence.

post-10324-0-12467700-1373653472.jpg

More may follow tomorrow.

Dave Franks

This is all new to me.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi, My other half who breeds Cockatiels (started by accident!) likes to put stuff out for the wild birds and she's got me out with the tele-lens and the good camera to take shots like these.

attachicon.gifBluetit 1.jpg

Mother and baby

attachicon.gifBluetit 3.jpg

Then this big buxxer arrived.

attachicon.gifJackdaw 1.jpg

And the wee ones retired to the fence.

attachicon.gifBluetit 2.jpg

More may follow tomorrow.

Dave Franks

This is all new to me.....

Dave, please don't take this as me being an interfering nerd, but could you ask your 'other half' to use a fat ball dispenser as the RSPB suggest those plastic holders can trap little 'feet' - sorry mate.

Otherwise these are great pics.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi Phil, you're right of-course, SWMBO only got these at the supermarket till she could get to the petshop and buy a 'bucket load'. There is a proper dispenser on the other side of the table. Fruit etc. is usually spiked on this thing.

Another pic of, I think a starling.

post-10324-0-99297600-1373708655.jpg

And a pic of a Cockatiel family, five 10 week old chicks and the mother middle right. Dad was having a kip elsewhere....

All chicks now gone to good homes.

post-10324-0-19224500-1373708675.jpg

Dave.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Thats a juvenile starling - somehow they do manage to look a bit different!

I change the water in our bird bath every day - gets a bit cruddy in this weather, the collared doves were sat on the fence yesterday coo-coo-ing away to remind me to do it. As I went to the bird bath I noticed a blue butterfly perched on it. It took flight but was obviously keen to return for another drink so I stood still and waited. It eventually settled again allowing me close observation to see it was a Holly Blue-. but then most surprisingly it allowed me gently to cup my hands around it and carry it in to the house where I put it in a glass. SWMBO and I enjoyed a close inspection for a few moments - what a beautiful but fragile creature - before I released it back in to the garden. It hung around for another half hour or so but as soon as I produced the camera it flew away, and did not return.

But a special moment none the less. I have been fascinated by butterflies since my childhood - and continue to be.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Nothing particularly unusual about this fellow only that he came fluttering around, coming very close up to us whilst my Fiancee and I were having breakfast this morning.  Seemed very tame, also it seems that there are far more Robins around this year, last year and particularly the one before the that they seemed to be very thin on the ground indeed:

post-6910-0-23579100-1373879704_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-72812500-1373879718_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-27023100-1373879726_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nothing particularly unusual about this fellow only that he came fluttering around, coming very close up to us whilst my Fiancee and I were having breakfast this morning.  Seemed very tame, also it seems that there are far more Robins around this year, last year and particularly the one before the that they seemed to be very thin on the ground indeed:

attachicon.gifRobin01.jpg

attachicon.gifRobin02.jpg

attachicon.gifRobin03.jpg

Unlucky for the spider? (second pic)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know this is a bit OT but I must mention and Owl that 'lives' in my second home 'garden'. I spend a few weeks almost every year in a lovely place called Vassiliki, on the island of Levkas (Ionian). There is an Owl there called a Scop's owl and it calls at night, almost continuously; a sound not dissimilar to the sonar beep so frequently employed in those 50s war films about sea/subs/ whatever. It is known as the 'Radar Bird', however I shall this September rename it the Sonar Bird!

On occasion I/we have heard another Scop's but are unsure whether it is another male Scops or a female! We have been going there since 1992 and first heard it then. Wonder if it could be the same bird(s)?

Hoot.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A great hoot Mallard - nice to hear your tale

Heres one from me

I fish the rivers of West Wales at night in summer for sewin - sea trout. Has to be done at the dead of night. The Rheidol valley near Aberystwyth has a super owl population - have seen barn, tawny and little owls for starters and a tawny has been known to sit in the tree watching my futile activities.

The Ystwyth valley is better for greater spotted woodpeckers but also has little owls. The reel I use for fishing at night emits a screech when line is pulled off it - and yep you guessed, a little owl sat in the tree above wanting to have a conversation. Fantastic!

Who cares that I never catch any fish?

Well only occasionally....

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Where have all the garden birds gone?

If they're Jackdaws we've got them all:

post-6208-0-22942200-1374575272_thumb.jpg

They can't get at the peanuts but hoover up any loose seed the other birds drop into the tray.

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The jackdaws must have moved from here - not seen so many this year ;)

More nice news, we have another Dunnock nest, very loud chirping whenever a parent goes in. :) We won't be around much over the next week so will probably miss fledging....

• Like 1