The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Afraid that's the real world though

A few years ago there was a rare wader strutting its stuff in front of all the twitchers at an East Midlands reservoir - a red legged phalarope at Swithland I think - when there was a large swirl and no more phalarope. Esox Lucius thinks he is king of the water am afraid.

Phil

That would be a red necked phalarope, Phil. Phalaropes are not that rare, occurring in small numbers on passage.

greyphalarope2_zps4cf77cec.jpg

Photo is of a grey phalarope (close relation) which I took at Farmoor Reservoir - about ten miles west of Oxford.

• Like 3

Guest Gloria Sass

not a bird watcher by any stretch, but i do see bats outside my window at night and i enjoy watching them, very close to the building too, perhaps we have a nest in the roof,

...excellent Chaz...I called in there once but certainly didn't see one of these.

Dave

On the same visit we had amazing sightings (for us). The second species we saw (the first was about a trillion coots) was an osprey. Later on the same visit we saw two black terns and just before we left (having walked right round the southern half of the reservoir) half a dozen yellow wagtails. Since then we have gone at least once every autumn and have always seen something interesting - the yellow wagtails never disappoint!

Chaz

...Wagtails...I've filmed both grey, white and pied but haven't seen a yellow one yet.

Ospreys...I haven't viewed in the same way since going to Sanibel island, Florida last year and seeing (and hearing) them in many tree tops or nesting poles.

Black terns would be new to me too.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

...Wagtails...I've filmed both grey, white and pied but haven't seen a yellow one yet.

Ospreys...I haven't viewed in the same way since going to Sanibel island, Florida last year and seeing (and hearing) them in many tree tops or nesting poles.

Black terns would be new to me too.

Dave

Saw a few yellow wagtails in Norfolk (Titchwell and Cley) in the spring. But they can be hard to find, I've never seen one in Hampshire. I believe they are one of the species that has suffered a big drop in numbers.

Chaz

Here's a gentle identity quiz from my old photo's:

A) 

attachicon.gifGooseH ?.jpg

B )

attachicon.gifDuckB?.jpg

C)

attachicon.gifDucksC?.jpg

D)

attachicon.gifDuckP ?.jpg

E)

attachicon.gifDuckD?.jpg

F)

attachicon.gifGeeseD?.jpg

G)

attachicon.gifGoose B?.jpg

H)

attachicon.gifGooseF ?.jpg

Unfair! I think they might be feral or collection birds, or snapped "foreign". Apart from duck C - which looks like three semi-feral mallards - crosses between wild mallards and aylesburys - i suspect that non of these are on the British list.

I love the gull with the red bill patches - definitely not a british bird though....

Chaz

They were all taken at Martin Mere.

Supposedly free flying.

Admittedly they are mostly cropped and enlarged from the background in other pics. (hence very poor quality).

... and, I don't necessarily know the answers!

I thought your 'gull' might be some sort of Wood Duck.

They were all taken at Martin Mere.

Supposedly free flying.

Admittedly they are mostly cropped and enlarged from the background in other pics. (hence very poor quality).

... and, I don't necessarily know the answers!

I thought your 'gull' might be some sort of Wood Duck.

Silly me - yes the "gull" is a duck I should have looked a bit more carefully at the bill. (call yourself a birdwatcher....?) but it's not in any of my field guides, so your guess.....

But you definitely have some escapes (from ornamental collections or similar) in amongst these - apart from the odd mallards - this species is prone to plumage variations, after all the all-white Aylesbury with it's yellow bill is genetically a mallard.

D might be a white headed duck - but this is not on the British list so if it is its almost certainly an escape. The closest they come to the UK (according to my Collins Guide) is southern Spain.

Chaz

Silly me - yes the "gull" is a duck I should have looked a bit more carefully at the bill. (call yourself a birdwatcher....?) but it's not in any of my field guides, so your guess.....

But you definitely have some escapes (from ornamental collections or similar) in amongst these - apart from the odd mallards - this species is prone to plumage variations, after all the all-white Aylesbury with it's yellow bill is genetically a mallard.

D might be a white headed duck - but this is not on the British list so if it is its almost certainly an escape. The closest they come to the UK (according to my Collins Guide) is southern Spain.

Chaz

Southern Spain is too hot for them right now!

• RMweb Premium

"Saw a few yellow wagtails in Norfolk (Titchwell and Cley) in the spring. But they can be hard to find, I've never seen one in Hampshire. I believe they are one of the species that has suffered a big drop in numbers."

I saw one at Winchester City Mill about 4 years ago. I'm at work so can't access the pics. 

Pete

Hope you made the most of it, Gruffers.

"D" looks a bit Scaup-like but I wouldn't know.

Sorry, but D is definitely not a scaup - which looks like a tufty but with a light grey back ((and no tuft!).

• Like 1

...yellow wagtail......

I saw one at Winchester City Mill about 4 years ago. I'm at work so can't access the pics. 

Pete

I'm envious. Of course, as they are migratory, they can turn up on any piece of water in spring or autumn. If you have a photo please post it when you can.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

That would be a red necked phalarope, Phil. Phalaropes are not that rare, occurring in small numbers on passage.

greyphalarope2_zps4cf77cec.jpg

Photo is of a grey phalarope (close relation) which I took at Farmoor Reservoir - about ten miles west of Oxford.

Thanks Chaz - only goes to show I should stick to railways!

Phil

Thanks Chaz - only goes to show I should stick to railways!

Phil

No don't do that. I find the two hobbies go well together, when I need a break from all this fine detail I go out and walk. Whilst I am searching the skies and trees I often have good ideas about the modelling I'm doing. If I don't at least I get some exercise....

On a Sanibel island condo plot

A few clips filmed around our Florida condo in March last year....includes ospreys, mockingbird, grackle, red shouldered hawk, white ibis, red cardinal and snowy plover

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No don't do that. I find the two hobbies go well together, when I need a break from all this fine detail I go out and walk. Whilst I am searching the skies and trees I often have good ideas about the modelling I'm doing. If I don't at least I get some exercise....

Spot on Chaz! How can we model the real world if we don't appreciate it? Trout fishing takes me out in to some wonderful wild countryside, and some of that is reflected in Abbotswood.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1