The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

...are we still talking feathered types H? ;-)

The feeders are filled most days too DD but the invertebrates still appear to be favoured by some species.

XF...the cat (Jemima) is a pensioner now (note the bus pass) and only manages a wistful glance in their direction.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

My wife has made our garden a wildlife haven ,Usual mob visit it .She feeds em all hedge hogs etc .In a drought she has even hand fed frogs with live  mealworms .They were starving ..Weirdest visitor we had was a deer .We only have a 60 ft garden surrounded by a  6ft fence .It was panicky and jumped the fence after a charge round .I have only seen two blackcaps in our garden over the years but we have also seen some at the Fairhaven trust where we go a few times a week to walk our two dogs in peace and quiet .

My daughter lives in Surrey  and loved all the wildlife she saw in her garden including parrots .She moved three doors down the street to a slightly larger house  .The people she sold her house to brought in nine cats with them .The previous owner  of her new house left a half feral   Thai god knows wot  type cat thats vicious and had already been terrorising the neighbourhood so her wildlife has all scarpered or died .She does help out  fora  local wildlife centre but has  a 2 year old at present so not a lot of time .She gets called out to pick up foxes ,badgers ,swans , deer and other casualties sometimes if no-one else is handy .

• RMweb Gold

No, it's the birds themselves that are cruel. A couple of days ago, I saw a crow in my garden make off with a blackbird chick while the parents just stood there making alarm sounds. Not very pleasant at all.

But that's mother nature for you.

• RMweb Gold

Sarah managed to get a few pictures today (while I kept the kids out of the way "washing" the car...!)

Blue Tit peeping out of the nest box

post-6864-0-01384300-1369515447_thumb.jpg

Action shot (difficult to follow, very fast these guys)

post-6864-0-44795700-1369516078_thumb.jpg

They're eaten 2 fat & seed balls so far...

post-6864-0-81760300-1369515699_thumb.jpg

And there are still Dunnocks around...

post-6864-0-53748500-1369515834_thumb.jpg

post-6864-0-52077600-1369515891_thumb.jpg

Also saw a Great Tit feeding a yougster(but couldn't get camera fast enough)...

I'm sure the Blue Tits must be close to fledging; they'll probably be off when we're not watching!

• Like 4

...naughty boy Rich...the RSPB are completely anti those nets...birds getting feet caught and hanging upside down until they expire.

Don't shoot the messenger

Nice pics btw.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

Over at Aberystwyth last week

Red kites conspicuous as usual - wheatears conspicuous too (in a rather different way) up in the hills above Penrhyncoch around Llyn Syfydrin. Rather more active than the trout due to cold weather

Phil

Our bird-feeders hang in a Japanese Maple just outside the window of the room where I type this.      We've had a curious one in our garden during the last two days. What looks to be a fledgling has been sitting on a branch, demanding feeding by its 'parent', a starling. However, it's already larger than the parent.. Could this be a young cuckoo?

Unlikely, Brian.

Cuckoos would generally go for smaller birds.

The young can look larger because of their 'fluffed up' feathers.

However, in nature anything can happen and often does.

I've recently seen a blackbird feeding a wren chick.

Unlikely, Brian.

Cuckoos would generally go for smaller birds.

The young can look larger because of their 'fluffed up' feathers.

However, in nature anything can happen and often does.

I've recently seen a blackbird feeding a wren chick.

'Fluffed-up feathers' describes the creature beautifully.. Thanks for that.

It's funny- five minutes ago, there must have been about twenty birds on the feeders, now they've all disappeared.

Got Blackcaps up here too...

We have got sparrows that have stolen a Tit box

Wasps started nesting in another Tit box, Replaced that one but don't know if the new one will get taken this late

Dippers in the River Ythan at the back of the house

And a good variety of finches, Green, Bull, Gold, Siskin and Chaffinch

As for the Buzzards, around the north east the seem to have been muscling out the Kestrels for the last few years. Not much hovers around the verges nowadays

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Gold Finch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Tits, Sparrows, Dunnocks, Wren, Blackbirds, Thrushes, Crows in the garden and some unrecognised large brown bird about twice the size of a crow (causing considerable consternation amongst the crows) flying over the garden in the last couple of days.

Also one extremely mangy fox wandering about during the middle of the day.

The swifts seemed to have vanished again.

Keith

Just found this thread.

The Great Tits that were in the nest box on the back of the house fledged last Saturday morning. My parents and myself enjoyed watching the parents feed the little ones in the garden while we ate our lunch. The Blackbirds, Robins and Starlings have been bringing their young to our garden to feed too.

We're currently going through a 20kg bag of sunflower hearts in a little under three weeks. Thankfully more supplies arrived today!

• RMweb Gold

Sarah managed to get a few more pictures today 

The Blue tit parents are still busy collecting for the nestlings

post-6864-0-63494400-1370290627.jpg

post-6864-0-55055300-1370290673_thumb.jpg

The nestlings are getting curious now & showing themselves in the doorway (although we have no idea how many)...

post-6864-0-31595700-1370290623_thumb.jpg

...being rewarded with regular feeds

post-6864-0-99379400-1370290636_thumb.jpg

post-6864-0-62387100-1370290644_thumb.jpg

post-6864-0-99748700-1370290654_thumb.jpg

post-6864-0-46439900-1370290664_thumb.jpg

Really hopeful that they will fledge in the next few days & we'll get to see them in the fine weather  :bye:  

(images © copyright Sarah Poyner 2013)

PS - we got rid of the netting round the fat balls - thanks Dave for the advice ;)

• Like 7

Sarah managed to get a few more pictures today 

The Blue tit parents are still busy collecting for the nestlings

attachicon.gifaerial.JPG

attachicon.gifparent.JPG

The nestlings are getting curious now & showing themselves in the doorway (although we have no idea how many)...

attachicon.gifwaiting.JPG

...being rewarded with regular feeds

attachicon.giffeed1.JPG

attachicon.giffeed2.JPG

attachicon.giffeed3.JPG

attachicon.giffeed4.JPG

Really hopeful that they will fledge in the next few days & we'll get to see them in the fine weather  :bye:  

(images © copyright Sarah Poyner 2013)

PS - we got rid of the netting round the fat balls - thanks Dave for the advice ;)

Those are fine pictures Rich!