The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that looks like a jackdaw to me John - hooded crows (below taken on Mull a few years ago) are much paler grey over most of their bodies. Where do you live?

post-6669-0-19048900-1334175872.jpg

Theres a good old country saying that helps with corvids (crows)

"A rook on its own is a crow - a crow in a crowd is a rook"

Tells you that crows are generally solitary and rooks sociable - as are jackdaws, they often roost in the vicinity of rooks

Kind regards

Phil

Guest Natalie Graham

'Where have all the garden birds gone?' I know where one of ours went, a hawk of some description ate it leaving all the feathers on the back lawn.

We have a long standing pair of herring gulls who do that (come in that is). The male once calmly wandered into the sitting room through the open French windows and then couldn't work out how to get out again - hearing some squawks and the odd cat making a run for it I had to go down and catch him so I could rerelease him outside (notable how incredibly light he was for a big bird).

Edited by 10800
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We have a long standing pair of herring gulls who do that (come in that is). The male once calmly wandered into the sitting room through the open French windows and then couldn't work out how to get out again - hearing some squawks and the odd cat making a run for it I had to go down and catch him so I could rerelease him outside (notable how incredibly light he was for a big bird).

He'd probably "lightened" himself in your living room !

The numbers of garden birds do seem to be proportional to the birdseed that is placed out for them. Also, and as commented on by others, the once-rare-ish sparrowhawk is thriving, and I would say on a slight increase.

Whilst driving along a Dorset country lane t'other afternoon, no camera available, a sparrowhawk appeared from my left, flew in close formation alongside the car for several seconds until I slowed down. It then peeled off across the front of the car and disappeared over the nearside hedge. It looked very sleek and well-fed.

PB

Here on the corner of Tooting Bec Common in London SW, I have been noticing the odd Goldfinch, so put up a Niger seed feeder. Although not overwhelmed by them, the word does seem to have got around, and there is a pleasing display of them - so pretty, and makes it feel even more like the countryside! Occasional visitors have been a Blackcap and a Goldcrest, as well as a Yaffle (Green Woodpecker). More frequent are bl***y Parakeets and Feral Pigeons. The latter trample all over my flowerbeds - grrr!!

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

How things have changed in the last few years.

You hardly ever see a Thrush or a Sparrow these days, but Red Kites are overhead on most days and a Little Egret has taken up residence on the local river.

Bernard

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had Abbotswood Junction set up in the garden yesterday - see the layout thread for videos

Ambient sound track stars the local sparrows and a neighbour's parrot. The local robin thought it was all for his benefit as he quickly found a perch on the layout edge but wouldn't sit still long nough for a photo!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Birds that visit my garden Hedge Sparrow, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Goldfinch,Chaffinch,Greater & Lesser spotted +Green Woodpecker, Pigeon,Collared Dove,Great,Coal,and Blue tits, Blackbird, Thrush, Starling, Sparrowhawk (to feast on the others) Heron (to feast on my fish), Rook,Crow, Magpie, Tree Creeper, Robin and Morgana Le Fay. No, only joking, all of them except the last one are fantasies, or is it the other way round?

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Premium

I was clearing some rubbish from the garden over last weekend. When I was loading the wheelbarrow a robin came down and started delving in the wheelbarrow for insects despite my standing only inches away from him(her). Having got a beak full of insects it flew away coming back a few minutes later for more.

• RMweb Premium

The first swift arrived this morning.

By lunch time there were seven or eight zooming about.

Always a sign that summer is on the way.

Then it started chucking it down again.

Other recent unusual sightings.

A gold crest on the window sill pecking at the grape vine.

A heron fishing in the pond in the centre of Watford.

Bernard

While working in the garden today it seems the Great Tit has filled the vacuum left by the sad loss of the Greenfinch, due to disease,of being most common bird.On a journey, a few days ago, to Aylesbury I was surprised at how common the Red Kite has become between Newbury, and Aylesbury, I lost count of sightings but at a guess it was a few dozen,but south of Newbury( via Andover, and Salisbury) I didn't notice a single one.

• RMweb Gold

There are a few around in the centre of Cheltenham Geoff - but not common. Most common bird in Chelt centre - pied wagtails, hundreds of them roost there

Phil

I'm pleased to say that some birds are filtering back - but still nothing like the numbers as before.

Some exotica (to us) included.

Today's star was a Tree Sparrow.

In the last week or so we've had regular visits from Siskins, Goldfinches, Goldcrests, and the biggest surprise, a pair of Redpoll.

Ducks are nesting next to the stream.

• RMweb Gold

Well everything went quiet in the garden a couple of days ago.

This would appear to be the reason why

post-4738-0-63679300-1336676300_thumb.jpg

Looks to be a Juvenile on closer inspection

post-4738-0-52767300-1336676316_thumb.jpg

hung around for a few hours sitting patiently, then disappeared for an hour returning for several more hours in roughly the same spot.

I was convinced I could hear the Blue Tits going "ssshhhh, it'll see us"

• Like 3