The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Cuckoo?

Too small, It was the size of a blackbird

7 hours ago, jbqfc said:

it could be a fledgling thrush 

John 

The black tail puzzled me.

Had a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker in the garden this morning, keeping the local Starling population off the fat-ball feeder.

Makes a change from them keeping the sparrows and tits off it themselves!!

Paul

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Sprintex said:

Had a juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker in the garden this morning, keeping the local Starling population off the fat-ball feeder.

Makes a change from them keeping the sparrows and tits off it themselves!!

Paul

Precocious for a youngster

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Too small, It was the size of a blackbird

The black tail puzzled me.

yes it has even go the wife puzzled she has been birding for over 30 years 

she thinks it could be a blackbird but is not sure 

John 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

yes it has even go the wife puzzled she has been birding for over 30 years 

she thinks it could be a blackbird but is not sure 

John 

Two votes here for blackbird (young/female).  40 years and counting, have been known to be wrong though :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2019 at 12:53, Tim Dubya said:

I am honoured with a visiting pair of Bullfinches, of course every time I attempt a photo they fly off once my back is turned.

Although, I did come to the conclusion the other day that they use an advanced form of teleportation, as they don't fly in to or out of view they simply appear and disappear.

I stalked a blackcap over several days to get a photo, camera left on a tripod was the key.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

What's this:

1075429946_bird3.jpg.882b7f0eb8f975de608aeb7419c83c2f.jpg

I thought it was a blackbird transitioning from juvenile to adult but the colours seem too bright.

It was mixing with other blackbirds which looked the more normal browns & blacks

Juvenile male blackbird.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brian daniels said:

Had a nice Robin in the garden earlier and a Chaffinch I think it is with club foot!

IMG_8570crop2.jpg

IMG_8589crop.jpg

That's the horrible fungal thing that is attacking the Chaffies. Been getting worse the last few years. Not as horrible as the disease that has almost wiped out the Greenfinches but still must be uncomfortable for the poor things. Great pics though.

P

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, brian daniels said:

Now you mention it I haven't seen any Greenfinches and Chafinches are thin on the ground here in Oxford. What can be done about the fungus?

I think the RSPB web site has some info but I have not checked recently. I don't think this is an infection as such but what do I know. Several of these things are easily spread due to the huge increase in garden feeders and however scrupulous one is in cleaning the feeders then just one bird can leave the traces for the condition and away it goes with others using the same perching place. There maybe something one can use on the feeders that is like an antiseptic?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:39, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

New bird for me and  our garden, there's a tawny pipit returning regularly to one of the birdbaths. I have had the binos on it and books to hand, so very confident I have it right.

Where is this? UK or elsewhere? There's very rare visitors to UK, a handful of records on passage most years. I saw several in Mallorca in May. If this is UK, please photograph and submit to your County recorder. No need for your exact address, your privacy will be respected.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:03, melmerby said:

What's this:

1075429946_bird3.jpg.882b7f0eb8f975de608aeb7419c83c2f.jpg

I thought it was a blackbird transitioning from juvenile to adult but the colours seem too bright.

It was mixing with other blackbirds which looked the more normal browns & blacks

Juv blackbird

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brian daniels said:

Now you mention it I haven't seen any Greenfinches and Chafinches are thin on the ground here in Oxford. What can be done about the fungus?

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think the RSPB web site has some info but I have not checked recently. I don't think this is an infection as such but what do I know. Several of these things are easily spread due to the huge increase in garden feeders and however scrupulous one is in cleaning the feeders then just one bird can leave the traces for the condition and away it goes with others using the same perching place. There maybe something one can use on the feeders that is like an antiseptic?

P

Antiseptics will not deal with a fungal infection such as this. A fungicide is the answer but many fungicides can cause even more problems and could even prove fatal to small creatures such as birds.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Where is this? UK or elsewhere? There's very rare visitors to UK, a handful of records on passage most years. I saw several in Mallorca in May. If this is UK, please photograph and submit to your County recorder. No need for your exact address, your privacy will be respected.

Central Herts. Too late for any photographic record, been and gone within a half hour, and no camera to hand. Whatever it was, I really enjoyed seeing it as the flight was so distinctive and attractive.

4 hours ago, brian daniels said:

... What can be done about the fungus?

Practically, let Nature sort it out. This is the 'dark side' of evolution by natural selection that very few want to acknowledge. Shit naturally happens that can and will kill off whole species. If this fungal problem happened to take out all the Chaff and Green - finches, worry not. There will be  fully resistant maroonfinch, azurefinch, heliotropefinch and jonquilfinch along to fill their niches, any millennium now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Central Herts. Too late for any photographic record, been and gone within a half hour, and no camera to hand. Whatever it was, I really enjoyed seeing it as the flight was so distinctive and attractive.

Practically, let Nature sort it out. This is the 'dark side' of evolution by natural selection that very few want to acknowledge. Shit naturally happens that can and will kill off whole species. If this fungal problem happened to take out all the Chaff and Green - finches, worry not. There will be  fully resistant maroonfinch, azurefinch, heliotropefinch and jonquilfinch along to fill their niches, any millennium now.

That's a shame. Please consider submitting a written report, though, seriously rare bird in the UK!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

…..and I suppose humans will go the same way if we are not careful with biotrickery ( happens?)

Anyway, personally I think this 'fungus' and sadly so many other things, is possibly as a result of human activity. Consequetntly, I know that nature should 'take its' course and natural selection is inevitable, but maybe we should not be quite so dismissive of it?

Phil 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

...and I suppose humans will go the same way if we are not careful with biotrickery ( happens?)

Anyway, personally I think this 'fungus' and sadly so many other things, is possibly as a result of human activity.

Indeed, quite possible, both of them. But here's the thing, humanity is fully part of the process. Our presence is no more or less natural than a great big rock hitting the planet and causing extinctions. If evolution by natural selection produces a brainy ape it's part of the 'shit that happens': and the natural selection process operates. Even David Attenborough is doing his bit toward extinctions, however much he wishes he weren't. Those organisms that cannot adapt to this particular environmental change will fail: on present evidence it is the likes of bacteria, rats and cockroaches that will thrive.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Indeed, quite possible, both of them. But here's the thing, humanity is fully part of the process. Our presence is no more or less natural than a great big rock hitting the planet and causing extinctions. If evolution by natural selection produces a brainy ape it's part of the 'shit that happens': and the natural selection process operates. Even David Attenborough is doing his bit toward extinctions, however much he wishes he weren't. Those organisms that cannot adapt to this particular environmental change will fail: on present evidence it is the likes of bacteria, rats and cockroaches that will thrive.

Can't argue with that....sort of dystopian future then?

G. Orwell.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Can't argue with that....sort of dystopian future then?...

"sort of inevitably dystopian future then", if the scientific understanding is correct. Read all about Entropy.

Personally I am convinced of something much better, but faith in God is so discredited, only a complete loony abandoned to all reason would believe in that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The only hope is now that enough birds with resistance to the fungal infection survive to breed but the chances of that are slim. A good example of how devastating a fungal infection can be is Dutch Elm Disease, the few remaining Elms are now in the equivalent of intensive care.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:29, rodshaw said:

Some blackbirds and a robin sunbathing in our back garden a few days ago...

P1050348.JPG.f592f8cfe677fdb4fd894f856f1e5c96.JPG

P1050352.JPG.6f527aac39593b8c8ee6184ce476fdfc.JPGP1050353.JPG.b8fbd6938d7727fdce5c4b3a3c5a5c27.JPGP1050354.JPG.5083011d88dad514d3e8a5b736a17942.JPGP1050355.JPG.cf3caa341ed9b12ed465569b13dacc16.JPG

I have often wondered why birds do this but I have never looked it up. Sometimes they adopt really weird poses!

Over our garden yesterday there were magnificent flying displays by up to 40 ish HMs and we appear to have about 8 Swift. Great view against storm cloud back-scenery.

P

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

They're having a 'dust bath' to scrub their feathers and get rid of parasites etc, in theory....but looks like they rather enjoy just for the fun of it when I've watched them..

Out this afternoon in Exbury, and saw a thrush dustbathing. Got my phone out, but the b——r flew off before. I could photo him/her.  I went over to the dustbath area, and it was an ant’s nest. Our intelligent thrush had been enticing the ants to squirt the feathers with formic  acid. No effect on the thrush, but woebetide the ectoparasotic efforts trying to eke out a living!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1