The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

if you think sparrows are messy our goldfinches seem to put more seed on the floor that they eat 

i have a very good crop of whatever Niger seed grows in to 

John 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

if you think sparrows are messy our goldfinches seem to put more seed on the floor that they eat 

John 

Be careful though, some commercial bird seed contains cannabis seed. :drag:

• RMweb Premium

Be careful though, some commercial bird seed contains cannabis seed. :drag:

Thanks i know this so any thing the looks like cannabis gets pulled up very quickly 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

John

Nyjer is exotic thistle seed. Edited by dhjgreen

• RMweb Premium

Lots of juvenile Goldie's in the garden last couple of days. One in particular is very tame allowing me to get with in a yard or so (I was filling one of our niger feeders at the time though).

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

Not strictly a garden bird but a load of Little Egrets have just descended on the banks of our estuary[south West Wales]. Last year we had around 30/40 every evening in the trees by the river...looks like 50/60 at the moment. They disappeared at the end of last autumn..nice to see them back...unless you are a fish!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Very sadly, a juvenile Goldfinch that we have watched maturing this last month, has just hit a window after being chased from the water bath by a Blackbird. It did not survive. Beautiful little thing.

Phil

Swallows here are circling, sweeping screeching and otherwise doing a pretty convincing Battle of Britain reenactment. Honestly, you want to see the aerobatics - multiples of birds doing tight turns, other multiples slicing through them in unison, the whole scene is just a marvel to sit and watch with a gin and tonic in hand. hic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Swallows here are circling, sweeping screeching and otherwise doing a pretty convincing Battle of Britain reenactment. Honestly, you want to see the aerobatics - multiples of birds doing tight turns, other multiples slicing through them in unison, the whole scene is just a marvel to sit and watch with a gin and tonic in hand. hic.

Sounds like Swift to me. Are they Boomerang shaped and black?

They scream and shout and whizz it all about, usually just before they go home.

Whatever they are that is a great way to spend an evening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Swallows, second clutch are doing well. Sadly one fell out the nest and Mrs M tried to get it back in but the hot weather defeated her efforts and his life. The other 4 are fine.  She also found a Blackbird fledgling in the horses water butt.

We were visited by a Bullfinch this evening.

Baby Pheasants in the long grass on the new paddock. 

As it is raining tonight we have loads of blackbirds pulling up worms, something they haven't been doing with our clay soil in the hot weather.

• RMweb Premium

I would be surprised if I found a Blackbird fledging in my Butt.

Most of 'our' birds have been hiding for a couple of days but are now out in force. 

Common Sandpiper in my 'other garden' yesterday.

P

• Like 3

Yesterday enjoying my morning coffee in a deckchair in our garden, and watching six Buzzards lazily soaring in a thermal above, then noticed the bottom one was a Honey Buzzard, great, stay fella and help keep the Wasp count down. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alas the best pic I could get of this chap was as he took off.  unusually for a Red Kite this one is quite happy to sit on the ground stuffing his face although he had earlier flown done to help himself with a 'picjh up' job.

All in all he's rather unusual as he spends a lot of time sitting on our neighbour's tv aerial.

post-6859-0-01850800-1532770042_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-19913300-1532770203_thumb.jpg

• Like 10