The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

one of our local cat killed a pigeon in our garden the other night

i cleaned it up but left all the feathers

today i have been watching two long tailed tits collecting them for nest building

• Like 8

Yes you should; but maybe not quite as much as in winter. Early spring is a difficult time for many birds because they are distracted by territorial battles and attracting a mate.

In addition there are not too many insects around at this time of year, especially if the temperatures are below average. Virtually all the berries (apart from Ivy) have gone from the bushes and there are still the prospect of cold twelve hour nights to get through. 

Personally, I keep my fatball feeders stocked all year round because I hope that, if I do the hungry birds will realise they can rely on my garden in an emergency if all else has failed. 

• Like 1

The berries are poisonous to humans (although not deadly in adults unless swallowed in quantity), but not to birds.

I have a large holly in my garden and it rarely manages to survive until Christmas before all the berries have been eaten, and so I am not sure why the birds ignore yours. 

It appears we'll be having blue tits in our nestbox again this year.

But just watching them now, they appear to be taking materials OUT of the nestbox. I don't know if they're modifying an existing nest, has anyone else seen anything similar?

• Like 3

...left all the feathers today i have been watching two long tailed tits collecting them for nest building

In same vein, a whole lot of down in our garden this morning. The funniest thing later, a long tail tit had a lovely large piece of down, but needed repeat attempts to hold it in a position that allowed fully controllable flight. Even though the white down made it very visible in flight, I lost it in the woodland behind our garden, but am sure they must be nesting very nearby as we are seeing a pair almost non-stop these last two weeks.

...But just watching them now, they appear to be taking materials OUT of the nestbox. I don't know if they're modifying an existing nest, has anyone else seen anything similar?

I once put a newspaper picture of Chris Evans in a nest box to aid assessment of camera focus, thinking he would get justly crapped on as a happy side effect. However it transpires that the blue tits in occupation had taste. They ripped it to shreds to get it out of the box...

(I empty our nest boxes in the autumn, and pour in boiling water to clean them up.)

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

one of our local cat killed a pigeon in our garden the other night

i cleaned it up but left all the feathers

today i have been watching two long tailed tits collecting them for nest building

That's interesting.

There was a pigeon in the garden on Saturday presumably killed and part eaten by one of the local foxes.

I was out most of the last two days and tonight most of the feathers have gone.

We do have two pairs of ltts so it was probably them who tidied up.

Bernard

• Like 3

The finches around My house often fly up and remove any stray feathers that My Cockatiel moults and get caught in the bars of her cage. Just the smaller downy ones mind you.

I have even seen them pulling stuffing out of a small hole in a cushion on My neighbours patio furniture.

They are quite resourceful.

• Like 3

Anyone else hearing the wonderful Dawn Chorus the last few days? mainly Blackbirds here but very loud indeed.

Also heard several Chif Chaff today. 

Phil

Not so much a chorus here Phil, but the screeching of probably close to a Thousand Corellas just after sunup. They turn up en masse late March every year, strip all the leaves off the trees and bu##er off again after a few months, the noise is immense.

This little fella and his mate however just chitter chatter away, they are utterly fearless and come right up on the back veranda and shout at the cat through the window. Which is what was going on here.

They may not be full of bright colours but Willie Wagtails make up for it with their Character.

post-23233-0-73536300-1522126246.jpg

Sorry about the flyscreen in the way. One of the drawbacks of living in Oz I'm afraid.

• Like 4

Hi,

Not birdlife though we now have chaffinches and long tailed tits regularly visiting but one evening last week we realised there was a hedgehog in the garden.

So we got a cheap plastic underbed storage box and using some info we found on the web set it up as a feeder.

First night nothing but on Fri had a check and this

post-82-0-80945200-1522144872_thumb.jpg

A hastily taken pic with a phone to minimise disturbance. He/she has been back every night since.

Stu

• Like 7

While on convalesence and watching the birds I had the Buzzards come back, this time at least 5 of them and a possible 6. Got some crappy pics of one of them that looks like it's been in a fight at sometime with one of its wing feathers missing, not sure if it's a primary or secondary

post-5014-0-93648500-1522160989_thumb.jpg

post-5014-0-85649200-1522161003_thumb.jpg

post-5014-0-72152200-1522161036_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Though not garden birds, I had a pleasant couple of hours on Sunday morning watching 20+ hawfinches and a similar number of bramblings visiting a feeding station on the ground on the outskirts on Cardiff. They're about 35 yards from the road, so you watch from your car. Had at least one of each singing (never heard a brambling sing before). A while later, heard a bullfinch singing in a hedge next to the seawall east of Cardiff to complete an unusual hat trick.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Interesting Tim re the Hawfinches, local Bristol news had run a piece on a relatively large influx of visitors this year due to the harsh recent weather. The only British finch I've not seen, I hope to change that.

Meanwhile whilst walking the dog here earlier in South Devon, a small finch hurtled down the middle of the lane we were walking with a sparrow hawk in hot pursuit. I'm glad to say the finch got away with it that time. However, I've seen the sparrow hawk several times this week in the garden hanging around the feeders.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK so it isn't a bird, but at 02.00 today I saw a Hedgehog whizzing around under our bird feeders. Yup, whizzing.....well OK scuttling! In other news I believe we have 2 or 3 Blackbird nests on the go. I think it is the same pair that have been building all three!

Up the road I am told there are Sand Martins arriving already. Me no see yet.

All the best for the Easter break and may your garden be a busy and interesting place.

Phil

• Like 7