The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Never seen so many blackbirds in one place before. 23 under the feeders - all squabbling.

Mistle Thrush among the highlights.

I spotted a hen blackbird a couple of days ago looking for food in the snow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Female Chaffinch just can't get the hang of the perch to rest on as she just grabs one bit of sunflower heart and shes off again.

May I suggest that the feeder needs cleaning, sorry, there looks to be no seed getting to the bottom perches. Nice picture though.

May I suggest that the feeder needs cleaning, sorry, there looks to be no seed getting to the bottom perches. Nice picture though.

Looks like the type of feeder I got rid of the other week; if it was supposed to be able to taken apart to be cleaned it failed completely. I have a tray on the pole the feeder hangs so I empty the contents of any mucky feeder into the tray; that always disappears within a few hours but usually down the gullet of a wood pigeon.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fieldfare?

Looks like it.

They are here for the rose hips which the other birds have more or less ignored although having taken all the pyracantha and hawthorn berries.

Keith

• Like 3

Just seen my very first Goldcrest in the garden and the kitchen window bird table...but he/she was in and out before I have chance to get the camera. That is the first one I've seen in the garden in the 10 years I've been here.

• Like 6

Nutty Hedge Sparrow sitting on my car door handle looking at his reflection in the bodywork going berserk. Hope he can find a more amenable mate!

Still at it but joined by a pair of blue tits knocking six bells out of the garden mirror....must be something in the bird feeder! Our cat thinks it's Christmas again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still at it but joined by a pair of blue tits knocking six bells out of the garden mirror....must be something in the bird feeder! Our cat thinks it's Christmas again.

Dunnock males are bonkers anyway and at the moment they wil flap at anything that moves, including their reflections seemingly.

Phil

I have found that adding 100% sunflower hearts into a feeder in wet or humid weather produces bad results. The moisture causes the hearts to become sticky and they do not flow down the feeder. 

My solution is to add ordinary black sunflower seeds at a ratio of about 25%, and the hard shells of the black seeds seem not to allow moisture to have any effect, and there is much less sticking. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have found that adding 100% sunflower hearts into a feeder in wet or humid weather produces bad results. The moisture causes the hearts to become sticky and they do not flow down the feeder. 

My solution is to add ordinary black sunflower seeds at a ratio of about 25%, and the hard shells of the black seeds seem not to allow moisture to have any effect, and there is much less sticking. 

For some reason our local birds prefer the ones with husk on.

In the one with seed mix which includes both, the black ones go first.

I have one for just black sunflower seed (as well as peanuts and fat balls) and it has to be filled up more regularly than anything other than mealworms.

They are spoilt here, five different feeders but unfortunately they have all to be caged to keep out corvids, woodies, starlings and squirrels so only small birds can get to feed.

I have tried them open but the food gets wiped out in no time!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

He was as skittish as usual, and this is the best shot I could get, Mrs was more interested in feeding, so I had time to zoom in; sorry about the grubby window.

post-25365-0-48289900-1520339971_thumb.jpg

post-25365-0-89595600-1520339981_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 9

I am down to just one local stockist of the regular black sunflower seed, sold economically by the 12.5kg sackload.

Two fold problem with the 'sunflower hearts':

the frequent sticking you report,

the local nuthatches which will dig out any number - and chuck - before finally taking one.

I am not feeding the flying or ambulant tree rats...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

my sunflower heart started to go down a lot faster than normal

so i did a bit of a stake out and and i have a flock of around ten goldfinches coming to the feeders

• Like 9

Due to the recent weather, the flood in the fields behind us has grown immensely. It seems that news of this has reached the ears of the local waterfowl as now have a huge amount out there, including several mute swans and grey lag geese.

Hopefully these pics will give some idea of what I mean.

post-143-0-71634600-1520962675_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-86942300-1520962688_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-78817900-1520962703_thumb.jpg

Taken on iPad so not wonderful. I'm trying to give you an impression of it.

Thanks

steve

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Not a massive charm by any accounts but we had the most amount of Goldies at any one time in the garden yesterday with a total of 9.

Finally spotted Mrs Black cap the other day too, on the feeders outside the kitchen window, whilst at the bottom of the garden two males were sharing the apple tree (don't know anything about Blackcap's behaviours but they were quite happy to share each others company and take it in turns to use the feeder).

• Like 6