The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

I can assure you it is completely wild - and has been visiting since last spring - it used to visit with a sibling when they were small, but we think the sibling may have become victim to a cat - we also have a hedgehog who used to visit in late evenings in the autumn, but he hasn't been seen for some time.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can assure you it is completely wild - and has been visiting since last spring - it used to visit with a sibling when they were small, but we think the sibling may have become victim to a cat - we also have a hedgehog who used to visit in late evenings in the autumn, but he hasn't been seen for some time.

The hedgehog should be hibernating this time of year. They do need to be a certain weight though if they are going to survive the winter.

• RMweb Gold

Signs of spring here in South Devon. I’ve just been in the back garden tidying, and goldcrests are flitting around inside our large Bay tree, i suspect building nests. A Robin sat in the crab apple tree marking out its territory and a Song Thrush singing earlier in the hedgerow opposite dawn chorus.

Tawny owls last night also kicking up a racket. With plenty of Daffs out here, feeling like spring is just round the corner.

Neil

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Something new (for around here) is lots, 50 or 60, Gold Finches gathering in next door's Ash tree.

This year is the first time in the 10 years living here that I have seen it.

I first spotted it a few weeks ago but due to the height of the tree and the poor light levels couldn't positively identify which birds they were until today

They arrive in three or four groups from the South, which is open countryside, spend up to 30mins chattering away together loudly in one mass and then depart Northwards towards the Birmingham suburbs, again in three or four groups.

I assume they are going to roost and use the tree as a staging post.

Has anybody else noticed this and is this common behaviour?

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

Shortly after I posted another group of maybe 30 individuals arrived and later departed making a total of approaching 100 birds.

I never realised there were so many Goldfinches around!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I bought my wife a new bird feeder for Christmas (Yes, I do know how to please her)

It has been a slow start, but the local birds now seem quite keen on it.

This chap:

Appeared a week or two ago. Several attempts to photograph him mainly got the back of his head, or with his head buried in the feeder, but today I got lucky.

Not sure what it is, though. Despite looking at her books (Other Christmas pressies), I have failed to identify it.

Over to you knowledgeable chaps & chapesses.

Regards

Ian

Try putting out a feeder with niger/nijer/nyger seeds in.

http://www.gardman.co.uk/wild-bird-care/feeders/flip-top-nyger-seed-feeder.html

You might find similar in one of the bargain shops

They are designed for birds like Goldfinches and have a very small slot only they can get their beak into.

It is supposedly their favourite nibble but our garden visitors have taken to mealworms over the colder months, ignoring the niger seed which went off.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Same here, there was a blue tit inspection of the nestbox a few weeks ago, and they've been returning pretty much daily since. Though we've also noticed a third blue tit who sometimes appears; maybe he/she is a relative, but I'm not an expert on blue tit relations.

• Like 2

Hi,

Not  garden birdwatching but what with the weather and decorating decided we'd take ourselves out for the day up the Stour Valley to see what was around and call in at Godmersham Church (between Ashford and Canterbury) to find the Hawfinches before they go. It's been something of a hotspot for a while now but numbers seem to be dropping  so off we went.

After a fruitless 15 mins my wife found one deep in one of the Yew trees and overthe next half hour or so we had certainly 4 visible at once and likely a few more in the Yew behind us. A worthwhile trip.

post-82-0-51061600-1519318318.jpg

On the downside the local green woodpecker has wrecked our birdbox !

Cheers

Stu

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Not  garden birdwatching but what with the weather and decorating decided we'd take ourselves out for the day up the Stour Valley to see what was around and call in at Godmersham Church (between Ashford and Canterbury) to find the Hawfinches before they go. It's been something of a hotspot for a while now but numbers seem to be dropping  so off we went.

After a fruitless 15 mins my wife found one deep in one of the Yew trees and overthe next half hour or so we had certainly 4 visible at once and likely a few more in the Yew behind us. A worthwhile trip.

attachicon.gifhawfinch 2.JPG

On the downside the local green woodpecker has wrecked our birdbox !

Cheers

Stu

Ace bird; lucky you.

Silly Woody though, probably couldn't resist the sound it made.

Also not in my first garden but in my other one yesterday afternoon.......large flocks of Siskins. Same place as where we have had large flocks of Yellowhammer and Meadow Pipet  along with numbers of Brambling, Tree Sparrow, Reed Bunting and Wagtails (these went about 6 weeks ago) during the last few months. It is an interesting, rectangular area of about two acres where all this takes place, with small trees on one short border, a long and ancient hedge on another 'touchline' border and then open and quite rough unplowed cereal land which is quite wet in places with a public path along the other long touchline border. and animal fields beyond that.

A couple of Hawfinches have been seen on the Reserve, but not by me unfortunately and not in this 'patch'.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My son has just removed all our bird feeders because it appears we have an outbreak of trichomonosis. This is something to watch out for, particularly if you get finches at your feeders.

https://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/disease/trichomonosis

Oh dear,sorry to hear that :(

We're in Bath, where are you?

Would like to keep all our feeders out as long as possible as snow is imminent here.

• Like 1