The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of Starlings about and the feeders are all seeing some action.

As a pressie to our neighbour across the road we got her 2 feeders (seed & fat balls) and put them next to bushes outside her window to encourage more birds in her front garden, She's thrilled.

• Like 4

Looks like a Norwegian blue to me....

Phil

Yes, well picked! They are a Norwegian Blue, I got a faulty one which was green so he was cheep..

Actually they are Quakers, the only parrot that builds a nest  with sticks rather than use a hollowed out log etc like other parrots.

To Tim - You can try this yourself - put a bunch of sticks in his/her  cage and watch them spend hours decorating it with them. Mine grabs anything he can see that is sticklike and claims as decoration for his cage. I used to clean my teeth with him on my shoulder but he grabbed too many toothbrushes which he won't give back.

post-22541-0-29039700-1514202009_thumb.jpg

Fun Quaker tip 2 - they LOVE capsicum and chilli seeds - chilli doesn't affect parrots like they do us,  in fact to them its apparently a mild sedative.  Gary gets 4 hot chillies a day sliced in half  which he hollows out. The bad bit is when he comes out for walkies and sticks his beak into my mouth and I get the full on chilli  consequences....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

Been trying to get a shot of this fella for ages, my camera although very good takes a short time to focus through the window and they keep flying off!

attachicon.gifDSC00726.JPG

and on the other shell through a window that picks up a reflection

attachicon.gifDSC00727.JPG

at one time there were 6 in the garden but I was up to my neck in "muck & bullets" making a meatloaf!

I have the same problem with the Coal Tits...they are in an out before you can move to grab the camera. The Long Tail's are fine though and they hang about for ages, quite tame some of them and quite happy for me to watch them through the open window. 

And I know what you mean...I had 7 of them sat on the table and feeders but I was in the middle of making Mary Berry's chocolate orange cake and having to make 4 trips to Waitrose to do it!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I saw a flurry of white feathers coming down in the back garden, then this landed on the fence:

post-6864-0-30220700-1514299483_thumb.jpg

A Goshawk I believe! Looked slightly stunned, possibly took on a seagull and didn't come off well? It stayed for a few minutes then flapped away.

We've now got blue tits, robins, blackbirds on the feeders, but this guy is making a move too...

post-6864-0-61544300-1514299672_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Have you had snow Philph?

Or is your mansion creating a thermal?

Still have parott, who now takes a run up when he wants to bite me. The Mrs however, is now the bird goddess. Nola had a bath with him other day, as he doesn't like being without her.

As I said before, birds shouldn't be in cages but Kiwi is a sort of rescue so I can forgive sister-outta-law for taking him in.

He is a very sweet and as far as I can gather, happy boy. He's talking a lot more too.

Little b@stard!

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

I saw a flurry of white feathers coming down in the back garden, then this landed on the fence:

attachicon.gifIMG_9552.JPG

A Goshawk I believe! Looked slightly stunned, possibly took on a seagull and didn't come off well? It stayed for a few minutes then flapped away.

Rich - actually almost certaimly a female Sparrowhawk - unless you live in a very wooded area - which goshawks favour

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Rich - actually almost certaimly a female Sparrowhawk - unless you live in a very wooded area - which goshawks favour

Thanks for clarifying, we thought it might be a Sparrowhawk but the colours seemed off compared to book pictures. I can believe a Sparrowhawk more, especially as the feathers suggested it had just attacked...

• Like 3

Still have parott, who now takes a run up when he wants to bite me. The Mrs however, is now the bird goddess. Nola had a bath with him other day, as he doesn't like being without her.

Parrots will often attach themselves to  one person, usually the opposite sex to them -  and will attack anyone else.

Interesting parrot fact number 3 or something, you can't discipline them like you can dogs and cats and goldfish  - a loud rebuke  is just competition to them to see  how loud they can go themselves, and any kind of hitting or smacking is definitely out, even if you don't critically harm the bird they will remember it for ever and not let you any where near them.

Whenever  my Quaker attacked me I tried the 'Uh Uh Uh!!" noise to try to deter him. It didnt stop him from attacking me but at least now before he does it he goes "Uh Uh Uh!!" to give me some warning.

They live such a long time - I have parrots in my aviary that are well over 20 years old and they are just standard cockatiels and Princess parrots. There are many stories over here of cockatoos and galahs getting handed down through 3 generations

. I remember in the  early 70's a mature aged  couple moved in across the road from my parents, they had a galah called Jack, and they also had a framed photo of the ladies father on return from WW1, it was a family portrait with him in his uniform and the relatives all looking relieved because he didn't die on the Somme and so on , and on his shoulder was a young Jack.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Still huge numbers of H Sparras but no, we had no snow here at Duck Towers; it all crapped upon Luton and Stanstead from what I hear.

Had a brief visit from a healthy Greenfinch this morning. Quick feed and a tentative return to look but did not feed again. Probably intimidated by the Sparra hordes.

I hear there are Bramblings nearby. Maybe they will hear the racket the Sparras produce each day about 14.30 and come to investigate?

Most bumbling Blackbirds have dispersed now, leaving us with half a dozen or so. 

Philth

A better shot of a previous visitor

attachicon.gifDSC00760.JPG

Yo, Yaffle. Lovely birds. 

P

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

When I went out to my car lunchtime it was still thickly coated with frost. The frost on the roof showed evidence of quite a scuffle obviously a couple of birds fighting. Fortunately there were no marks on the paintwork where the scuffle had taken place only the remains of what looked like breadcrumbs.

• Like 2

Does anyone use shortbread biscuits as a food for birds? I've been given a big double pack of shortbread biscuits as a Christmas present and to be honest they really aren't my cuppa tea as a biscuit. Has anyone used them to mix in with bird food??? I can't think of many other uses for them. There isn't any chocolate in them they are just plain shortbread biscuits....I even asked my neighbours of they wanted some and the answer was a rather emphatic no.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone use shortbread biscuits as a food for birds? I've been given a big double pack of shortbread biscuits as a Christmas present and to be honest they really aren't my cuppa tea as a biscuit. Has anyone used them to mix in with bird food??? I can't think of many other uses for them. There isn't any chocolate in them they are just plain shortbread biscuits....I even asked my neighbours of they wanted some and the answer was a rather emphatic no.

Take them to the Food Bank or give them to the Postperson or local Station Staff. Processed food such as this is not really very good for birds however much some of us like them, especially dunked in a decent Coffee.

Phil