The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

New visitors to the black sunflower seed today:

attachicon.gifbullfinches 2.jpg

At the same time there were two Goldfinches on the Niger seed together with a juvenile and a Greenfinch waiting for their turn.

What's the collective noun for lots of finches? :jester:

Keith

I know goldfinches, a charm.

• RMweb Premium

We've had a Wren constantly 'gobbing off' for the last couple of hours - no idea why, it has been posing on top of the bean canes long enough for us not to be able to get the camera in time!

Bless

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We've had a Wren constantly 'gobbing off' for the last couple of hours - no idea why, it has been posing on top of the bean canes long enough for us not to be able to get the camera in time!

Bless

Could be it has chicks and is concerned by another bird nearby (e.g. Magpie or Crow)?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Could be it has chicks and is concerned by another bird nearby (e.g. Magpie or Crow)?

Phil

Good point Phil, we have lots of Mags and Crows about this year.  

Unbeknown to us (until we checked the box in the autumn) we had Wrens nest in the box closest to the house last year - we only knew it was a wren as we found a desiccated chick in the box when we checked it - beautifully preserved, beautiful bird, shame.

Edit:

Mrs has just found a dead Wren chick on the garden path, enough said...

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Bit of natural predation in the garden this evening:

Shortly after making a "kill" of a Starling, except the Starling is still very much alive

post-6208-0-32299100-1466883155_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-51500100-1466883923_thumb.jpg

About 5 mims later and it's not making much progress.

The Starling is amazingly still alive:

post-6208-0-66763400-1466883220_thumb.jpg

The Starling is protesting loudly:

post-6208-0-58181300-1466883878_thumb.jpg

After about 15 minutes and the Starling is still not giving up:

post-6208-0-30753900-1466883266_thumb.jpg

Shortly after that the Starling breathed it's last and the Hawk started to pluck it but it had taken about 20 minutes to actually finish it off.

Then it flew away with it's prize.

Not a very clean kill.

Keith

• Like 3

Wow! Amazing (but very gruesome) pictures

...and now for something completely different

We have a grossly fat Ring Dove thriving off our vegetable plot that coos 'Milord' endlessly:.

da da da   da di da   da da da da di da...

I've got to find that catapault

dh

• RMweb Premium

Bit of natural predation in the garden this evening:

Shortly after making a "kill" of a Starling, except the Starling is still very much alive

attachicon.gifSH1.jpg

attachicon.gifSH1A.jpg

About 5 mims later and it's not making much progress.

The Starling is amazingly still alive:

attachicon.gifSH2.jpg

The Starling is protesting loudly:

attachicon.gifSH2A.jpg

After about 15 minutes and the Starling is still not giving up:

attachicon.gifSH3.jpg

Shortly after that the Starling breathed it's last and the Hawk started to pluck it but it had taken about 20 minutes to actually finish it off.

Then it flew away with it's prize.

Not a very clean kill.

Keith

Wow, there are a couple of prize winning shots in there Keith. Truly a moment in time not to be missed. However I never like to see any creature meeting its end but that is life in the raw.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Wow, there are a couple of prize winning shots in there Keith. Truly a moment in time not to be missed. However I never like to see any creature meeting its end but that is life in the raw.

Phil

I once saw a fox with a rat it had captured, the screams from the rat were chilling. It took at least five minutes for the rat to die.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, superb photos. I have often tried to photograph similar events on my lawn, but find that the slightest movement will frighten the hawk off.

Thanks for the complement.

I was well back inside the lounge so as not to be seen and took the photos through the french doors with some zoom.

I wonder wether the Sparrowhawk was a youngster that had not yet mastered the art of a swift kill.

It had one talon gripping the Starling whilst attempting to stay upright, but each time it tried to bite the Starling it got a bit of a pecking.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I once saw a fox with a rat it had captured, the screams from the rat were chilling. It took at least five minutes for the rat to die.

I've seen the same with a hedgehog being slaughtered, the shrieks were spine chilling.

Fot a creature that normally only "snuffles" it was very loud!

Keith

Yes Keith, from the photos and your description I think you are probably right.

An experienced bird would surely have dispatched the starling quickly? The ones I witnessed here were of about 20 seconds of screeching from the prey and then silence.

I've seen the same with a hedgehog being slaughtered, the shrieks were spine chilling.

Fot a creature that normally only "snuffles" it was very loud!

Keith

You obviously have not woken up at night to the sounds and sight of about 20+ hedgehogs running around in a circle after each other in pursuit of. shall we say,..... bodily contact. to keep it clean. Snuffling they are not!! , full on rampage is more the purpose and they are incredibly noisy whilst at it, and It does sound like a Pig squeals on heat, which of course is why we call them Hedgehogs.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Premium

You obviously have not woken up at night to the sounds and sight of about 20+ hedgehogs running around in a circle after each other in pursuit of. shall we say,..... bodily contact. to keep it clean. Snuffling they are not!! , full on rampage is more the purpose and they are incredibly noisy whilst at it, and It does sound like a Pig squeals on heat, which of course is why we call them Hedgehogs.

Stephen.

Is the squealing because of the spines?

They don't care about the spines, they have to live with them!! The quantities around vary from year to year, and have slowly gone down, but seem to be rising again.

On birds in North Kent we seemed to have lost an awful lot of Sparrows since the 1980's, but they are now more common around the Medway area. Few flocks though, which were a common sight over the local gardens. Many more Magpies than before, and a few Jays cross the area near Rochester, keeping to the edge of the built up areas. Fewer Crows on local playing fields than before, but more Seagulls.

Stephen.

• Like 1