The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

Certainly we've seen many more tits (not sure I can recognise all the varieties) and also wrens in the undergrowth around the fringes of our back garden this spring.

They seem to get get decimated in bad winters.

Took the various grandchildren (we are minding) out down along the river yesterday - all very taken by the cacophony of drumming from the woodpeckers in the beechwoods.

dh

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

OK all, any thoughts on the 'best fatballs' for the gang? I used to get locally made ones at the local market and they were scoffed immediately by anything that could hang on the feeders or skulk under them. However, some from the local pet shop were totally ignored.

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK all, any thoughts on the 'best fatballs' for the gang? I used to get locally made ones at the local market and they were scoffed immediately by anything that could hang on the feeders or skulk under them. However, some from the local pet shop were totally ignored.

Phil

Local garden centre for us; a lot cheaper than RSPB, which the birds also like.

Greenfinch here now

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Phil 

We buy Fat Snax, (which I sometimes share with the birds), from our local garden centre or super market.

After much gardening (by Mrs Dubya) over the last couple of days, it looked like we had scared off all our birds except the sparrows, which left me a bit glum...

I gave one last glance out of the window last night to be delighted by the sight of two Goldfinches stuffing themselves on sunflower hearts!

YAY!

I think our Siskins have moved on now but we did have a visit from some longtails this morning.

• Like 3

Starlings are nesting in our soffits - one of the ventilation covers must've come off in the winter and the starlings took advantage.

Blue tits busy in one of the nestboxes, lots of vocal blackbirds, plus robins and magpies - also a goldfinch. Sparrows too.

Great entertain for our cat.....

• RMweb Premium

and Dunnocks (or hedge sparrows as they were).

I did see a Starling yesterday, the first in literally years.

We see lots of dunnock, just very few house sparrows.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hedge sparrow, I always thought they were known as song sparrow?  I have heard of a  tree sparrow, brown head.

This is Somerset calling...

I guess there are lots of different names locally for the same birds.

My dad (Somerset, b&b ) calls Dunnocks "Hedge Sparrows" whereas Mrs Dubya (from the Black Country) calls them Dunnocks.

I know my place...

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Heron today, must be french eat frog's legs. Well whole frog actually: not as in common crossing.

Edit:on his second now, tidy chap, rinses them before eating.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My dad (Somerset, b&b ) calls Dunnocks "Hedge Sparrows" whereas Mrs Dubya (from the Black Country) calls them Dunnocks.

I know my place...

Since been put in my place by the boss. "Everyone calls them hedge sparrows"

• RMweb Gold

Chiffchaff singing happily away in the large bay tree at the bottom of the Devon garden this morning. I'm sure I heard one in Bristol over the weekend, so the summer influx well and truly here.

Neil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Starlings are nesting in our soffits - one of the ventilation covers must've come off in the winter and the starlings took advantage.

Blue tits busy in one of the nestboxes, lots of vocal blackbirds, plus robins and magpies - also a goldfinch. Sparrows too.

Great entertain for our cat.....

Beware of large brown beetles appearing  in your loft and anywhere else they can find after the nesting season. They are the product of the grub that Starlings like to feed their youngsters; I've forgotten the name of it now. 

Sorry,

Phil

A Family of Pink and Grey Galahs Out the Back, Eating Prickle Seeds

post-23233-0-85910100-1460438597.jpg

post-23233-0-35205100-1460438599.jpg

Earlier I counted at least 40 (there were probably more but they kept moving before I could count them all) Zebra Finches out the front, eating the left over bird seed I throw out each day from the Cockatiels cage but I couldn't get a decent picture as they had many young ones with them and they were very "flighty" and came and went at the slightest noise or movement.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 5

I know my place

Also known as Cuddy in Yorkshire

• Like 2