The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Today my back garden has mainly been Minsmere! Hardly any swifts there either.  However, a good serving of Bittern (they have 12 males there this year so far) actually flying about and best close up views of Bearded Tits and Terns I have ever had. No sign of the lesser speckled BBC Presenters though but will look out for me and SWMBO this evening on Spring Watch!

If you have never been to Minsmere Reserve and Dunwich Heath, do make the effort at some time as it really is a lovely area.

Quackers.

• Like 2

Today my back garden has mainly been Minsmere! Hardly any swifts there either.  However, a good serving of Bittern (they have 12 males there this year so far) actually flying about and best close up views of Bearded Tits and Terns I have ever had. No sign of the lesser speckled BBC Presenters though but will look out for me and SWMBO this evening on Spring Watch!

If you have never been to Minsmere Reserve and Dunwich Heath, do make the effort at some time as it really is a lovely area.

Quackers.

Light blue fleece, dark blue fleece or brown jacket?

Some swallows, martins and swifts about but nothing like the numbers of previous years.

Lots of baby birds about. Dried mealworms are popular.

No exotica to report.

Goldfinches, Greenfinches and Siskins are munching through the Niger seed daily.

Jackdaws, Rooks and Dyson the Wood Pigeon are clearing the waste bread each morning.

Pied and Grey Wagtails taking insects from the banks of the stream.

A good variety of Tits but no rarities.

Nuthatches seem to be doing well.

Wrens have lost one or two newly emerged chicks to cats.

Here endeth the report from darkest Wales.

I've probably forgotten quite a lot. 

• RMweb Gold

Whilst photographing the stone train tonight I was obviously near someones nest as a pair of great tits (ooo Missus) was making a lot of noise and hinting that I might like to move along

post-6662-0-50389200-1432801248_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-74516200-1432801252_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-84857700-1432801256_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-56841800-1432801270_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-04690700-1432801275_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-49623300-1432801279_thumb.jpg

I (as I type) have starlings (young as well), blue / great and coal tits, chaffinches, robins, green finches and sparrows I think but they are too far to be clear.

• Like 9

I am very jealous of all of these wonderful garden visitors. We have been living in our new build property for nearly a year now and have little in the way of feathered visitors. I think the building site activity scares them away. We have had a pied wagtail recently, and after dark a resident bat but that is it for wildlife.

Siskins in the garden today, first for a long time. Baby greenfinches being fed by mum under the bird table. Blue tits nesting in box in the porch. What a day. The 'red' magpie was back yesterday but hasn't reappeared since I placed my camera ready for action!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Had this chap in the garden for a while today:

post-6208-0-02368300-1433932462_thumb.jpg

Probing for ants down the side of the flags I suspect.

Spent about 15mins in total moving down the flags every couple.

Keith

• Like 6

I think that I saw another Red Kite over my North Somerset house on Tuesday, but it was a brief visit for the bird as it was being mobbed by a rook and three black backed gulls.

However, it was too small for a buzzard, and flying too low really; plus it was too red-brown for a sparrowhawk.

I saw a male sparrow being hassled quite violently by a smaller bird, about 2/3rds the size, they tussled for quite a while. It looked like it might be a young sparrow hoping for food still but the feathers weren't at all fluffy and were smooth.

In the meanwhile, what I think is a juvenile robin is a regular visitor

• Like 1

It may have been a juvenile sparrow, but the adult it was hassling was not one of its parents.

I have seen this with juvenile starlings when the adult has flown off for some reason but the baby did not follow. If another adult appears, it will be harrassed for food and I have seen some quite angry reactions with the adult pecking the juvenile until it goes away (what a nice introduction to independent life).

I once saw an adult starling and an adult male blackbird having a bit of a standoff on the feeder tray. The starling was not going to give in but the blackbird was adopting its threat mode which seemed to be lower its body but push its head forward with its beak wide open. After a few goes at this, the starling picked up a sultana or something similar and popped it in the blackbird's open mouth.

I had to laugh, but I'm not sure the blackbird was too impressed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

At Center Parcs Longleat this week for a family holiday.

Goldcrests constantly calling in the firs and a Redstart wakes me up at the Dawn chorus.

Slightly different to Devon!

Neil

• Like 3

If I have any old pork chop rinds I tend to put them on the bird table whole these days. It is not long before a magpie appears and takes them away in one go.

I used to diligently chop them up into 'bite sized' pieces and put them out, but few birds took any interest and they ended up being there for days and gradually became covered in flies.

I don't know what the magpie does with them, but out of sight out of mind as they say.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Decided to try a niger seed feeder.

We get occasional goldfinches and bullfinches but they never visit the feeders, just peck away at tops of weeds (and boy do we have weeds!)

Let's see whether we can entice them more often.

Keith

Will update on progress.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a brief holiday in Northumberland (Hadrian's Wall).  Now I know where all the swallows went when they bypassed us!  Still not seen any here.

Oyster catchers and lapwings nesting in the fields near to the cottage we rented.  Several goldfinches and wagtails on the cottage garden walls almost constantly.  Plenty of other feathered and furry wildlife around too including a great view of a stoat with a vole for dinner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have started to get these pigeons in the garden.

They aren't ringed so belong to nobody but don't seem to fit in with the look of a typical feral pigeon.

There are four or five around and all have this colouration but some have more white than brown.

The smaller of the two is also noticeably smaller than a typical grey feral pigeon which we don't see around here.

post-6208-0-25775900-1434995547_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-42942600-1434995667_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-63233400-1434995565_thumb.jpg

Keith

• Like 2