The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Hooray.

Just seen a swift, despite the very windy day. It was no more than a 2 second view as it turned into the tail wind and vanished rapidly over the rooftops.

On the subject of dunnocks, they have some very interesting habits. Males can peck at the rear of females and then extract sper-m deposited by another male. One article I read said that DNA tests on chicks from a single nest showed they all had the same mother, but three of them had different fathers. Apparently they are still unclear about which males take responsibility (if any) for feeding their offspring.

Edited: because nanny-watch didn't like a certain word

Don't know about the pecking bit because that's the first time I've heard that interesting snippet, but the different fathers bit applies to robins too.  In all likelihood it applies to lots of birds since it seems a sensible strategy for passing on one's genes.

(I'm sure someone will comment that it applies to humans too!)

• Like 1

My house sparrows are on the leaf diet again.

Last Autumn it was grape vine leaves, which they would sit and nibble at for ages.

This Spring they seem to have taken a liking to poppy leaves, although I did see them attacking the aubretia, but they did not seem to be able to break chunks of leaf off as easily as they can with poppies.

The BTO did say they had heard of the practise but were not sure how widespread it is. Has anyone else witnessed this behaviour?

• RMweb Gold

two parakeets were sitting on a telephone wire this morning, right by a house with large Green Party posters in the window.

They were probably looking for the Pirate party.

• RMweb Premium

.....and yes, there are a few more HM here today as well. I saw one nest building this morning, on one of the few 'wooden facia houses' nearby. I also saw Swifts today (heard them coming as I came back from buying paints at Halfords........scrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccchhhhhhhhhhh, we're back................ :boast:

P

• Like 2

....I recall sitting on 'the deck' (outside patio) with Canadian relatives at their condo in Woodstock, Ontario in Sept 2007. There were several brightly coloured humming birds visiting a similar feeder to the one that you have in the picture.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The common cause of foot deformaties in feral pigeons is a bacterial infection called staphylococcus.  Pigeons easily pick it up from wounds getting infected with the bacteria from droppings.  As you can imagine this is much more likely in urban environments where pigeon populations are (artificially) concentrated.

The droppings also create a fine dust which can infect the lungs.

Swifts - at last! I heard them yesterday morning and then saw some at a reasonable height in the evening sunshine.

It's part of my summer routine to stand in the garden of an evening and watch them for a while before shutting up the back of the house. Even better when I have a glass of something chilled in my hand....

I am impressed with the Dunnocks that have taken to nesting in a Grevillia. Already raised a brood of three to independence this year, and a pair are sitting on a new brood. There seems to have been a behaviour change with this bird, as observed over twenty years in this location. For the first few years they were very shy, crepuscular even; had to be searched for under bushes when doing the birdwatch. They are now nearly as bold as robins and blackbirds, out in the open, using feeders, and quite prepared to 'shout' at any of the moving trees that come too close. Since the Grevillia they nest in is by the front door, being shouted at is a regular experience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, it would seem that only two HMs have arrived in our little patch. That's a dramatic decline from around 60ish a few years ago and even 40ish last year. Sad. However there are far more Starlings locally this year and bl**dy pigirons that keep eating all my ground feed.

Phil

Fortunately, I don't have much trouble with pigeons. The birds that hoover up all my tray food (kept off the ground to deter rats) are jackdaws and magpies. I can put out about half a kilo and it will be gone in a couple of hours.

I've decided that the brown bird I didn't recognise might be a dunnock - I've just looked it up. It didn't fly off with the sparrow flock that I first spotted it with and darted down in to the bushes at the side of the garden. The way it moved along the fence was distinctive and not sparrow like. I'll need to look for it again to be sure

• RMweb Premium

I've decided that the brown bird I didn't recognise might be a dunnock - I've just looked it up. It didn't fly off with the sparrow flock that I first spotted it with and darted down in to the bushes at the side of the garden. The way it moved along the fence was distinctive and not sparrow like. I'll need to look for it again to be sure

Dunnocks have a mainly grey cap and the head always looks smaller in proportion to the body compared to sparrows.

Just had a Bull Finch and a Gold Finch within a couple of minutes of each other.

The Bull Finch was pecking at the "gone to seed" heads of some weeds in the unkempt part of the garden (which is most of it!)

The Gold Finch was searching on the ground for food.

Keith

EDIT a few more Swifts around, I suppose they might not all be staying!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw two more HMs today; just up the road....different nest site...not the same two as next door!

Two Sparrow (well developed...flying and mostly feeding themselves) Fledglings this afternoon in the garden.

Phil

• Like 1

Smashing day at RSPB Minsmere last Tuesday (12th). Top of the tree (as it were) was a Bittern prancing around in front of the Bittern Hide in full view of all inside for around 10 mins before flying off. That don't happen very often. A couple of Bearded Tits too and a Great White Egret. 

• Like 5