The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Where have all our garden birds gone?

DDolfelin

If you read what the RSPB advise, they say not to feed birds in the summer months, when food is abundant, you should only feed in the winter when food is scarce.

The theory is that once you start feeding they become dependent on it, and some migrating birds, may even try to overwinter here, when they should be off south for warmer climes.

• RMweb Gold

Not true. Otherwise why would they sell RSPB "summer seed mix"? It's a harmful myth that bird feeding should only take place in autumn and winter. Food shortages can occur anytime in the year- see-

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whentofeed.aspx

Bill Oddie has an opinion that you should feed year round, but avoid certain food types during nesting periods. Loose peanuts should be avoided, but OK if in mesh feeders.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Not true. Otherwise why would they sell RSPB "summer seed mix"? It's a myth that bird feeding should only take place in autumn and winter. Food shortages can occur anytime in the year- see-

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/whentofeed.aspx

Bill Oddie has an opinion that you should feed year round, but avoid certain food types during nesting periods. Loose peanuts should be avoided, but OK if in mesh feeders.

Neil

I find that the birds in my garden seem to come and go at the feeders.

I get the impression that they already use it as an "top up" to their normal foraging.

I have three different "foods" on offer - peanuts in a mesh feeder, black sunflower seeds and a general mixture.

They go down at different rates at different times of the year even though most of the birds are present all year.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

If you read what the RSPB advise, they say not to feed birds in the summer months, when food is abundant, you should only feed in the winter when food is scarce.

The theory is that once you start feeding they become dependent on it, and some migrating birds, may even try to overwinter here, when they should be off south for warmer climes.

And to directly quote RSPB advice:

"although winter feeding benefits birds most, food shortages can occur at any time of the year, by feeding the birds year round, you'll give them a better chance to survive the periods of food shortage whenever they may occur"

If this coincides with a cold spring/summer and insects are scarce then the adult birds will prioritise this food for the fledglings. The food we put out for them can make a critical difference to the survival of the brood by keeping the parents fighting fit. If this advice means a few more on RMWeb put feeders out next summer then we may make a little difference to maintaining the wild bird population which needs all the help we can give them. The RSPB advice on the correct choice of food items is of course crucial.

Neil

What are you referring to?

g

Keithv

[/quote

Pesticides,destruction of hedges,woods,copses,filling in of water courses,ponds,poisoning of ditto with run off of pesticides,fertilizers,did it never occur that these things have a direct and indirect adverse effect on habitat,breeding,food sources.

I would have thought it was bl***ing obvious.

LES

f

• RMweb Premium

What are you referring to?

g

Keithv

[/quote

Pesticides,destruction of hedges,woods,copses,filling in of water courses,ponds,poisoning of ditto with run off of pesticides,fertilizers,did it never occur that these things have a direct and indirect adverse effect on habitat,breeding,food sources.

I would have thought it was bl***ing obvious.

LES

f

EH?

What's this got to do with Sparrowhawks and Woodpigeons in my garden?

Keith

And to directly quote RSPB advice:

"although winter feeding benefits birds most, food shortages can occur at any time of the year, by feeding the birds year round, you'll give them a better chance to survive the periods of food shortage whenever they may occur"

If this coincides with a cold spring/summer and insects are scarce then the adult birds will prioritise this food for the fledglings. The food we put out for them can make a critical difference to the survival of the brood by keeping the parents fighting fit. If this advice means a few more on RMWeb put feeders out next summer then we may make a little difference to maintaining the wild bird population which needs all the help we can give them. The RSPB advice on the correct choice of food items is of course crucial.

Neil

I have my own thoughts on Summer feeding. I find that if the weather is good, (i.e sunny and dry) the food is not consumed very quickly, but as soon as wet weather arrives, even for a short spell, the small birds reappear at the feeders. I presume that food is difficult for them to find in the rain as insects become less abundant. 

The other reason is that during late spring and early summer, parent birds bring their juveniles to the feeders in order to either make it easy to feed them and save energy with shorter flying trips, or to show them where a regular source of food can be found , and thus improve their chances of survival. 

Therefore I keep feeding the birds through the summer, but in lower quantities as it is not eaten as quickly. I do understand that some garden birds may become more dependent on human sources of easy meals, but with a 75-80% decline in farmland birds over the last 40 years, I believe that if we can keep healthy populations of breeding birds in gardens, their populations will rise and the excess numbers will slowly re-colonise hedgerows in more arable areas. 

• RMweb Premium

I believe B of T is referring to the thread title.

Considering we are on page 36 I would have thought it is a little bit late :jester: 

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Aft'noon all,

We arrived back at our static caravan atop the cliffs nr Bembridge, Isle of Wight during the week to see a sparrowhawk pinning a plump, live pigeon to the floor...plucking it alive. We obviously put it out of its stride as it flew up into a nearby tree whilst the pigeon dazedly wandered beneath a neighbouring caravan.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Aft'noon all,

We arrived back at our static caravan atop the cliffs nr Bembridge, Isle of Wight during the week to see a sparrowhawk pinning a plump, live pigeon to the floor...plucking it alive. We obviously put it out of its stride as it flew up into a nearby tree whilst the pigeon dazedly wandered beneath a neighbouring caravan.

Dave

Was the pigeon well and truly plucked? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Any idea what this is?

Currently enjoying fresh grass shoots in the garden.

post-6208-0-00020200-1412591880_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-49209100-1412591892_thumb.jpg

It's about the size of a pigeon with longish legs and very large feet (like a wading bird)

It flicks its tail while foraging

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I was rather surprised to see a Garden Warbler in my back garden this morning. I don't think I have ever seen one here in October before. I do see blackcaps through the winter, so I suppose a warbler ought to be possible if the weather stays mild.

• Like 1

...we were lucky enough to have a juvenile sparrowhawk perched on the garden fence 10-12ft away from us for around 5mins this morning. It allowed us to confirm all markings/details as per our bird guide but not to move sufficiently away from the table to get the camcorder. It studied the feeders avidly but obvious inexperience showed by its perching in full view of any potential prey coming to feed in the garden coupled with no height advantage/acceleration/stealth opportunity.

Dave 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mornin' all,

Great to see a nuthatch at the bird table this morning...collecting peanuts/mealworms.

One of our 40 species already recorded in the garden thus far...but a rare visitor.

Dave

Well done, with the nuthatch - not yet seen one of those here in Somerset; but we did have a grey wagtail in the garden earlier this week. A very impressive little bird it looked too.

We get occasional pied wagtails in the winter, especially if there is snow cover - but the grey version is a first for our garden.

• Like 1